Author Topic: Water Stocks/Green Energy Stocks  (Read 1871 times)

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
Water Stocks/Green Energy Stocks
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:56:27 AM »
Seeing that India water and heat crisis report last week brought to mind Michal Burry's water and farmland stock discussions from the past.

Anyone currently investing in water or green energy funds with good futures?

NewDay1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Water Stocks/Green Energy Stocks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
Been curious about this myself.  Thanks for posting the question. 

I'm not currently investing in what you describe, but I am posting to follow this thread, and I'm curious also if anyone is investing in the following:

VUIAX - Vanguard Utilities Index Fund Admiral Shares
Invesco funds?
Calvert funds?

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:12:21 PM »
If I read this correctly, even S and P water index fund is up 20% this year.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »
Check out HASI. It is a new ETF organized as a REIT that is invested exclusively in renewable energy projects.

BrokenBiscuits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:24:03 AM »
I have water investments. Up 19.8% this year.
There is a lot of information out there but most of the articles I read and documentaries I watched suggest up to 40% of the world could suffer from water shortage by 2020 and expected to be considerably worse by 2050.  Overpopulation and climate change the biggest suggested impact.

I知 quite heavy in, 15% of my stash outside of pensions.
Mostly water transportation and cleaning.

Everything suggests water will become more scarce and therefore more valuable. I hope the experts are wrong or we address some of the causes to change the prediction, but if not I hopefully will do well with a decent allocation to water stocks.

NewDay1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »
There is a lot of information out there but most of the articles I read and documentaries I watched suggest up to 40% of the world could suffer from water shortage by 2020 and expected to be considerably worse by 2050.  Overpopulation and climate change the biggest suggested impact.

Everything suggests water will become more scarce and therefore more valuable. I hope the experts are wrong or we address some of the causes to change the prediction, but if not I hopefully will do well with a decent allocation to water stocks.

Thank you BrokenBiscuits - would you mind sharing an example of the "water stocks" you invest in for those of us learning?

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »
If I read this correctly, even S and P water index fund is up 20% this year.
So most of the gains are already unavailable : )

NN6

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 04:08:19 AM »
So I started out investing like most others into index funds like the S&P500 but have completely stopped putting money into it. Why? Simply because I do not want support big Oil and Gas companies ruining the environment and our future. Might be something for MMM to talk about more in his blog as he addresses many good points that will lessen our impact on the environment but as far as I am aware does not look into where we invest our money too much.

So what do I invest in?
First of let me say I live in Europe so your investment options might differ. As I work in renewable energies and firmly believe its the future (cost competitive already today, rising global energy demand and political will to reach the Paris agreements in many countries) my biggest chunk of money goes to the Lyxor New Energy UCITS ETF. It includes the worldwide 40 largest companies active in renewable energies and after years of not performing toooo well is up 30% this year :)...

I also invest in Lyxor World Water UCITS ETF as water is our most valuable resource and this ETF is as far as I can see ethically ok. It is performing very well this year as well but then again what isn't?!

I am supplementing this by investing in some tech stocks soo overall quite risky but I am still young, hope for high returns, and try to invest in a reasonably ethical way.

If you see any other sectors with a bright future that I should consider as well let me know!!

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 05:47:51 AM »
I am supplementing this by investing in some tech stocks soo overall quite risky but I am still young, hope for high returns, and try to invest in a reasonably ethical way.
"Tech stocks" and "ethical" in a single sentence?

But the big issue you're facing is that these stocks are already highly valued. That means they are more likely to underperform in the future.

BrokenBiscuits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »

Thank you BrokenBiscuits - would you mind sharing an example of the "water stocks" you invest in for those of us learning?

If you picked your own set of shares, To get properly diversified, you would spend a lot on dealing charges. Also, you would probably spend a lot of time considering each pick and what weighting it would be. Better to just get it done now and pick a fund.  As one of the replies earlier said, you will probably be lead down a certain route because most platforms don稚 have that many choices!

I ended up in pictet water and drip feed (pardon the pun) into it. Once I知 at a level of investment I知 happy with I will probably move to individual shares or an etf to get my ongoing costs down.

I appreciate mmm is all about passive investment, so might not be a popular choice to do something a bit different.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!