Author Topic: VTSMX Now While it's low?  (Read 2599 times)

fixie

• Stubble
VTSMX Now While it's low?
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:29 AM »
Greetings...wondering what people think about moving money into VTSMX now while it is low(er)?  I have a chunk sitting there not doing much and would like to use it wisely. 
What are other folks doing during this dip?  Are you re-allocating, are you re-thinking your investments, are you doing nothing at all?
fixie

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
Re: VTSMX Now While it's low?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I've done some reading on lump sum versus DCA, but was still going to contribute $458.33/mo. over the course of 2018 to Roth IRAs in order to keep household expenses regular each month...  then we saw the biggest % dip of our short 2-year investing career, so we submitted two buys last night to max out my wife's and my Roth IRA contributions for the year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-the-dows-historic-1175-point-plunge-isnt-that-impressive/ar-BBIKcte

I feel a little guilty about not sticking to the plan(being an undisciplined investor), but lump sum is supposed to be better over time and we'll be in the market for a long while, so it shouldn't matter a whole lot overall.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:55:52 AM by hadabeardonce »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »
correct you should be dumping all of your investing capital in as soon as you get it - having money on the sidelines here to buy this dip means you missed the 2017 run up with some of those funds - which in all likelihood would be worth more now even post dip.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:35 PM »
This was nothing. I am doing nothing. It brought my stocks and bonds back into balance. Now is just as good a time for a lump sum as a month ago.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
I'm doing nothing, continuing to invest as able. Maybe some tax loss harvesting of some recent buys if it goes lower but the market rebound yesterday brought the losses back to a small enough number that it's not worth doing for now.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
The DOW is all the way back down to Jan 1, 2018 levels.

What were you doing when it was so low back then? Did you reallocate or re-think your investments to take advantage of the bargain pricing?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:32:41 AM by jc4 »

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Looks pretty high ;)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:55:27 AM »
The DOW is all the way back down to Jan 1, 2018 levels.

What were you doing when it was so low back then? Did you reallocate or re-think your investments to take advantage of the bargain pricing?
My Roth IRA VTIVX buy went through at 22.63 per share - the Jan 1st, 2018 price. Big whoop.

Best thing I got out of the experience was that I now know how long it takes Vanguard to make a trade if it's initiated after the market close and I'm maxed out for the year. Next year I'll try not to be tempted by headlines.