Author Topic: VIX derivatives to blame?  (Read 2908 times)

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
VIX derivatives to blame?
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »
Cramer says to watch volume on VIX derivatives to signal buy opportunity

Today's TVIX volume so far is on par with yesterday's volume of 150M (6x normal)

So, no end in sight to the pain?

Do you agree with Cramer that VIX derivatives are to blame for this volatility?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: VIX derivatives to blame?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

Do you agree with Cramer ?

Never gonna happen.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
This is sort of like saying volume is to blame. Watch the volume; always goes up when stock prices are falling rapidly!

A more sophisticated argument is that the multi-billion dollar short volatility futures market trade finally unwound and institutions started selling shares to cover their losses and margin. This is why non-tech stocks declined in 2000-2001.

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
This is sort of like saying volume is to blame. Watch the volume; always goes up when stock prices are falling rapidly!

A more sophisticated argument is that the multi-billion dollar short volatility futures market trade finally unwound and institutions started selling shares to cover their losses and margin. This is why non-tech stocks declined in 2000-2001.

To be fair, that was the argument Cramer was making as well. However, he was saying that volume on these derivatives is a good indicator on when this unwinding is coming to an end. (hence the broader sell off to abate which is a prerequisite to a recovery)

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
Oh, I totally agree what you said about Jim Cramer.

I don't know if you saw this segment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkytKDzCEeU

Jim complained that his recommendation of BS was taken out of context. In the above segment Jon Stewart completely destroyed that argument.

I also remember how Jim pumped up the internet stocks before they went bust. He used to ridicule people who advised caution and didn't believe in that hype.

The fact that he is still doing the same crap on CNBC instead of losing face and existing the field talks volume about the credibility of the network as well.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned Jim is I came across his argument that TVIX (and few other derivative ETF) volume reduction being a leading indicator to market recovery. He may be right on that one.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
Stewart showed him up for what he is. snake oil salesman. and a crook to boot.

if he's right about something then its nothing more than co-incidence.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
I've always felt that Cramer's Mad Money @ 6pm ET is a hindsight 20/20 show. A whole bunch of IFs, ANDs, and BUTs.

Nothing useful comes out of the clown's mouth. I know serious investors who ignore his mumbo-jumbo peddling for the masses.

Snake Oil Salesman is an apt term.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
I like clowns,  but only at the circus.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:03:51 PM »
Zerohedge is awful but this was interesting https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-06/here-what-was-behind-largest-vix-buy-order-history
ZH is bears. But their technical analysis guy(s) are apparently ex-Wall Streeters who got kicked out, and they are really good. So good that Bloomberg did a whole article on ZH.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
Zerohedge is awful but this was interesting https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-06/here-what-was-behind-largest-vix-buy-order-history
ZH is bears. But their technical analysis guy(s) are apparently ex-Wall Streeters who got kicked out, and they are really good. So good that Bloomberg did a whole article on ZH.

They are too bearish for me to visit their site but every now and again they have good info like when they copy and paste bank research.

This chart is pretty telling