Author Topic: Views on Starbucks, AT&T, Americold Realty Trust  (Read 1564 times)

vinnybagodonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Views on Starbucks, AT&T, Americold Realty Trust
« on: September 17, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
These are 3 stocks on my watch list

The one I am most interested in is Americold Realty Trust (COLD). It is a company that I never hear about, but all the research I've done into it seems very promising. The only issues I can find is that they have missed earnings the past 3 quarters (I don't know why) and their only real competitor is Lineage Logistics which is a private company I know little about.

I feel like AT&T is headed in the right direction / on the upswing

Do you think Starbucks will continue the amazing run it has been on?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Views on Starbucks, AT&T, Americold Realty Trust
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
Why do you think you are a better stock picker than thousands of professionals?

Hint: It's overwhelmingly likely you're not, at least not over the long term. And those professional stock pickers are overwhelmingly likely to lose out to basic low cost indexing - again over the long term.

If you are the next Warren Buffet, great!

But you're probably not. And even Warren makes some bad bets.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »
Stock pickers are just coming out of the woodwork.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »
Stock pickers are just coming out of the woodwork.

Yay!!!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

The one I am most interested in is Americold Realty Trust (COLD). It is a company that I never hear about, but all the research I've done into it seems very promising. The only issues I can find is that they have missed earnings the past 3 quarters (I don't know why) and their only real competitor is Lineage Logistics which is a private company I know little about.

COLD I don't understand.  Their PE ratio is above AMZN, their margins are very low.  What did you find attractive?

ATT I don't really understand either.  Meh margins.  PE ratio about middle of the road.  Nothing all that exciting.  What did you find enticing?

vinnybagodonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »

COLD I don't understand.  Their PE ratio is above AMZN, their margins are very low.  What did you find attractive?

ATT I don't really understand either.  Meh margins.  PE ratio about middle of the road.  Nothing all that exciting.  What did you find enticing?

Everything I read about COLD makes it seem like it has a near monopoly on a business that is not going anywhere/only going to increase. LOTS of attraction. P/E I noticed but I think it is because it is a realty trust.

ATT - I think is a company that has been beat up and will turn around. They have a lot of exciting things coming with 5G and HBO Max streaming. They are paying down the debt. The 6% dividend is also a plus.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:09:15 AM »
Regarding those stocks.....if they happen to be part of VTI or SCHB or the like, then I like them.  If not, then I don't care about them.  What do you know about them that nobody else knows?

Nobody knows nuthin'   - Jack Bogle

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
I assume (few posts, focus on one unknown name along with a couple of known ones) that this thread is by someone motivated by a COLD pump n dump scheme. After reading earlier posts - Vinny, welcome to the forum! Good luck in your investing, and your progress toward FI.

My personal belief is that investing in single stocks is harder than it looks. But I'll play along out of curiosity. On the merits of COLD: Real estate has been around a while. How does some unknown little company have a "monopoly" on it??

My curiosity is aroused. How did you run across COLD in the first place?

Re individual stocks - there's so much variance in individual stocks' short term performance that learning by experience can be very uninformative. The experience you obtain is more likely to result from individual variance, rather than the various fundamentals that do have influence in the long term. Be as careful as possible in your learning process.

A detail I read recently may apply. Apparently, about half of the gain the overall stock market comes from a tiny fraction of the stocks, something like 1% of them. If you pick that 1 in 100, you win big. But if you miss it, your average performance is likely to end up much lower than the overall market. By index investing, you are likely to get a return similar to the overall market. By stock picking, you are likely to lag the market.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:13:47 AM by BicycleB »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »
Starbucks . . . delicious!
AT&T . . . "phone!  ring ring ring ring!"
COLD . . . not a clue.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »

Everything I read about COLD makes it seem like it has a near monopoly on a business that is not going anywhere/only going to increase. LOTS of attraction. P/E I noticed but I think it is because it is a realty trust.

ATT - I think is a company that has been beat up and will turn around. They have a lot of exciting things coming with 5G and HBO Max streaming. They are paying down the debt. The 6% dividend is also a plus.

Price to earnings is irrelevant for REITs.

But it's still overvalued using price to FFO, which is one of the better REIT valuation metrics. 16 is sort of an average, 23 is what blue chip Realty Income (O) trades at, and COLD trades around 34 times FFO.

So the premium is presumably due to the lack of competition and the perceived growth of the need for refrigerated warehousing. If you see this need growing big time over the coming decades, perhaps 34 times FFO isn't such a bad premium.  Where do you see the growth coming from - medicine, groceries?

vinnybagodonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »
I assume (few posts, focus on one unknown name along with a couple of known ones) that this thread is by someone motivated by a COLD pump n dump scheme. After reading earlier posts - Vinny, welcome to the forum! Good luck in your investing, and your progress toward FI.

My personal belief is that investing in single stocks is harder than it looks. But I'll play along out of curiosity. On the merits of COLD: Real estate has been around a while. How does some unknown little company have a "monopoly" on it??

My curiosity is aroused. How did you run across COLD in the first place?

Re individual stocks - there's so much variance in individual stocks' short term performance that learning by experience can be very uninformative. The experience you obtain is more likely to result from individual variance, rather than the various fundamentals that do have influence in the long term. Be as careful as possible in your learning process.

A detail I read recently may apply. Apparently, about half of the gain the overall stock market comes from a tiny fraction of the stocks, something like 1% of them. If you pick that 1 in 100, you win big. But if you miss it, your average performance is likely to end up much lower than the overall market. By index investing, you are likely to get a return similar to the overall market. By stock picking, you are likely to lag the market.

Let me just clear this up, I do invest in index funds and plan to invest in individual stocks with only a very small portion of my investments. This is not a pump and dump lol, I heard about it in a youtube video, decided to buy a few shares and checked recently to find that the stock I believe is up 45/50% YTD.

vinnybagodonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »

Price to earnings is irrelevant for REITs.

But it's still overvalued using price to FFO, which is one of the better REIT valuation metrics. 16 is sort of an average, 23 is what blue chip Realty Income (O) trades at, and COLD trades around 34 times FFO.

So the premium is presumably due to the lack of competition and the perceived growth of the need for refrigerated warehousing. If you see this need growing big time over the coming decades, perhaps 34 times FFO isn't such a bad premium.  Where do you see the growth coming from - medicine, groceries?

Thanks for the info. I foresee the growth coming from a rising population and the need for more food. Also, services like Amazon Fresh will require more warehouses to store their food, so regardless of who ends up winning out in supermarkets vs. Amazon, I see a company like COLD only continuing to benefit from its niche service.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the info. I foresee the growth coming from a rising population and the need for more food. Also, services like Amazon Fresh will require more warehouses to store their food, so regardless of who ends up winning out in supermarkets vs. Amazon, I see a company like COLD only continuing to benefit from its niche service.

So... you're expecting a growth rate below 1%? The USA has had population growth below 1% for 18 years, and the trend is down. Fertility rate is only 1.8, replacement rate is 2.1