Author Topic: Vanguard website completely useless outside USA?  (Read 2166 times)

rudimentsofgruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard website completely useless outside USA?
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:33:52 AM »
Ever since Vanguard made some changes last year(?), I have been having intolerable trouble logging on internationally. First they made me receive a call to a US number in order to even get access to my account. Luckily I have Google Fi, so I was able to waste a bunch of time changing SIM cards and reactivating that number for ten minutes to receive the code.
Now it's asking for those esoteric security questions and giving me some sort obnoxious error message whenever I try to login: "This page isn’t working personal.vanguard.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"
Clearing cookies does nothing. Anyone else having heaps of trouble connecting from abroad?

Their website it total garbage for contacting them as well, with circular redirects because they're all about the Tim Ferriss method of replacing real help with FAQ.
I'm getting pretty sick of the shit service and thinking that I'll have to find a company that won't take two days to contact because of time differences, etc. Any recommendations?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Re: Vanguard website completely useless outside USA?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
I just connected from Milan, Italy and Tokyo, Japan without a problem.  You can also verify it's up with other services:
https://isitup.org/www.vanguard.com

Do you see the same behavior when using a different browser?
Besides cookies, it could be a malware infection or other possibilities:
https://hostpapasupport.com/err-too-many-redirects-chrome-browser-mean/

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
I have never had any issues logging in. If you think its an issue with your location try logging in with a VPN on.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:41:50 PM »
Their website it total garbage for contacting them as well, with circular redirects because they're all about the Tim Ferriss method of replacing real help with FAQ.
I'm getting pretty sick of the shit service and thinking that I'll have to find a company that won't take two days to contact because of time differences, etc. Any recommendations?
Plenty of people are happy with Schwab - they're happy to have customers worldwide. Interactive Brokers are also pretty good, although their trading UI is a bit beyond what the average MMM reader would need.