Author Topic: Vanguard Voyager Select Eligible!  (Read 9523 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Vanguard Voyager Select Eligible!
« on: October 07, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
My Vanguard accounts finally exceed $500K, and I'm in the "Voyager Select" category now.

Has anyone else taken advantage of Voyager Select perks?  I feel like I should be taking advantage of this, but I'm not sure exactly what it is I can get...

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vanguard Voyager Select Eligible!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
Doesn't seem like you get much:

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/benefits/at-a-glance

But congrats on the milestone!

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
So close. I'm at 430k. However, I don't think Voyager Select is that great of a benefit. Maybe lower stock trading fees if I recall correctly?

The biggest benefit would be access to the Institutional share class. But that's a much higher threshold (5MM I believe?). I invest in the Institutional version of VTSAX through my 401k and it has a .02% expense ratio. Pretty amazing!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »
Looks like the main benefits are $2 stock trades if you want to branch out beyond index funds, and a free meeting with a financial planner. I haven't taken advantage of the latter service but I've heard it can be helpful for some people.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »

Wow! Did they get rid of the flagship select tier?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »

Wow! Did they get rid of the flagship select tier?
No, there's a link under Flagship for those with $5M+.

I have yet to hit $500k with Vanguard, but I'm flagship.  I inherited it from my dad, when we set up my account (they've changed the limits drastically since then, but it's hard to lose it once you have it, honestly not sure if my dad still has it or not).  For the longest time, you'd get TurboTax for free.  Your tier determined which version you'd get for free. 

The only other time I used it was when I transferred money from another 401k to their IRA.  My rep and a conversion expert were on the phone with me.

Instead of waiting on the phone for them to answer, with a Flagship rep (not sure about lower reps), they call you instead.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:07:08 AM »
I kind of had speaking with a financial planner in mind when I was aiming for Voyager Select.  But now I see that having a regular one requires a fee, while speaking to one with specific questions does not.  Not quite what I had in mind, but still useful, and really, I don't think I have a general need to speak to one since I do so much of my own research.  I might call and ask about solo 401K info, as I am still researching that.

$2 stock trades almost wants to make me get into individual stocks, but I probably should stick to my easy-peasy funds.

Thanks for the congrats on hitting 500K, though.  NW is actually $685K now, but only $507K of that is at Vanguard.  (I am still waiting for that feeling that it is growing exponentially that people here say I'd be feeling around $500K, but it seems kinda slow and steady still...)

LZZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
\  (I am still waiting for that feeling that it is growing exponentially that people here say I'd be feeling around $500K, but it seems kinda slow and steady still...)

I agree, but I think it has to do with my impatient personality!  I hit $500k last year with Vanguard (total net worth $1m) and I'm still in the $500's this year and it just feels slow and steady like it was before $500k.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
\  (I am still waiting for that feeling that it is growing exponentially that people here say I'd be feeling around $500K, but it seems kinda slow and steady still...)

I agree, but I think it has to do with my impatient personality!  I hit $500k last year with Vanguard (total net worth $1m) and I'm still in the $500's this year and it just feels slow and steady like it was before $500k.

Oh, I'm not a patient person, either.  Ha, I never thought of chalking it up to that characteristic of mine, though!  It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I'm always looking at my NW graph trying to eyeball the slope and see where it's really changed.  And it's like, yeah, it's a little steeper in the last couple years.  But just a little...