Author Topic: Vanguard UK - Which fund?  (Read 2812 times)

ck425

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard UK - Which fund?
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi All,

New to investing, having only discovered MMM at the start of the year, and looking for some advice. Currently have a chunk of savings plus a mortgage, but planning a renovation, which will eat up a chunk of those savings. Once that's done (by March I'm estimating) I plan to start putting ~£700 a month plus any leftovers (excluding 3 months emergency spending) in a Vanguard S&S ISA. My question is which fund to buy, here's the full list:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/what-we-offer/all-products

I'm looking for one well diversified fund, where I can save it and forget it, preferably 100% equity. LifeStrategy 100 looks ideal for this but very UK heavy. I'm reasonably risk-tolerant and only 25 so can be aggressive. My main issue is getting overly obsessed with the details and trying to much to min/mix, thus why I'd prefer one fund.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vanguard UK - Which fund?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Looks good to me.

Those ISA's are great. Hope my relatives in the U.K. are taking advantage of them (they probably are but have all the money in a bank deposit - you can lead a horse to water...).

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »

ck425

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Have you considered VWRL?

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-all-world-ucits-etf

Hmm looks interesting, almost no UK stocks. Any views on investing in your own country vs not?

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
I have a similar dilemma. I was thinking either LifeStrategy 80 or a 3 fund approach. I was looking at the FTSE Developed World ex Uk fund in combination with the UK All Share tracker in order to pick my desired UK split. These two in combination with a bond fund should give me some flexibility. I need access to these within the 10-15 year mark and like the thought of having a separate bond fund to draw down on first and protect me from any downturns. If I was investing for longer then I would just go straight for the simplicity of the LS funds.

Having said all that I’m very new to this and no expert!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-all-world-ucits-etf

Hmm looks interesting, almost no UK stocks. Any views on investing in your own country vs not?

It is, as it says on the tin, a world tracker. It has 6.1% invested in the UK because the UK stock market is 6.1% of world market cap.  Main reason to be over weighted in the UK would be currency risk I guess - if you're going to be spending pounds in retirement, you don't want to be over-exposed to exchange rates moving against you. A FTSE tracker helps less than you might think as a significant proportion of FTSE earnings comes ex-UK (Shell, HSBC, Rio Tinto and many others.)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

It has almost no UK stocks because the UK market is only approx 6% of the global market.

My one fund portfolio is all in VWRL, and of course it has done very well. 

LS is overweight UK equities, as Vanguard sees fit. 

Just pick one and stick with it.  For smaller amounts of money and regular investments, the fund costs will probably work out cheaper.

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
VERX.L
VUSA.L

I'm out of the UK for the time being until i hear more squealing about Brexit and businesses going under then i'll probably start buying VMID.L