Author Topic: Vanguard Total Bond Market Index fund is now only 0.07%  (Read 3847 times)

Dodge

• Pencil Stache

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
Re: Vanguard Total Bond Market Index fund is now only 0.07%
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »
I've noticed a couple of international funds are cheaper now too. VEU (All-World Ex-US) used to be 0.15% (which was 0.01% more than Total International Stock Market), but its now down to 0.14%. VSS (All-World Ex-US Small-Cap) used to be 0.20% and is now 0.19%.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
I've noticed a couple of international funds are cheaper now too. VEU (All-World Ex-US) used to be 0.15% (which was 0.01% more than Total International Stock Market), but its now down to 0.14%. VSS (All-World Ex-US Small-Cap) used to be 0.20% and is now 0.19%.

I wish they would add admiral to VFSVX to match VSS. It's the only one where I've been tempted to go ETF due to the higher fee. I can only get large developed international through work so I want to get the rest of the market too.

Crushtheturtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Sweet. Now I can finally afford that surgery I've been putting off.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
Sweet. Now I can finally afford that surgery I've been putting off.

lol

I wish they would add admiral to VFSVX to match VSS. It's the only one where I've been tempted to go ETF due to the higher fee. I can only get large developed international through work so I want to get the rest of the market too.

Agree.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
And now here's the whole list for April:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/expense-ratio-changes-042015

About 20 funds saw the ER go down, while a handful (funds no one cares about) went up.

The funds in the list are only those that update their yearly prospectus at the end of April. Other funds update the prospectuses in different months.

And my understanding is that, at least for Vanguard, these ERs are backward-looking numbers. It's not "hey guys, what are we going to charge for this fund going forward?" Instead, it's "What were our expenses? What are our assets? Divide one by the other, and then we can update the ER we publish in our prospectus".

The point being, we were probably already "paying" 0.07% for VBTLX; the updated prospectus just recognizes that fact.

Also, the whole reason is surely because about a month ago, I moved my Roth IRA holdings from VUSUX to VBTLX (market timing?!) That enormous inflow of assets to VBTLX is obviously why the ER dropped. You're welcome!

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
And now here's the whole list for April:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/expense-ratio-changes-042015

About 20 funds saw the ER go down, while a handful (funds no one cares about) went up.

The funds in the list are only those that update their yearly prospectus at the end of April. Other funds update the prospectuses in different months.

And my understanding is that, at least for Vanguard, these ERs are backward-looking numbers. It's not "hey guys, what are we going to charge for this fund going forward?" Instead, it's "What were our expenses? What are our assets? Divide one by the other, and then we can update the ER we publish in our prospectus".

The point being, we were probably already "paying" 0.07% for VBTLX; the updated prospectus just recognizes that fact.

Also, the whole reason is surely because about a month ago, I moved my Roth IRA holdings from VUSUX to VBTLX (market timing?!) That enormous inflow of assets to VBTLX is obviously why the ER dropped. You're welcome!

I knew there had to be a list for that some where but I couldn't find it. Thanks!