Author Topic: Vanguard new account - Additional information needed (?)  (Read 4284 times)

Morpheus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard new account - Additional information needed (?)
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:01 PM »
Hello fellow mustachians !

Just a few days ago I opened a new Vanguard account, after I passed identity verification on-line.
I got a letter from them confirming my new account and then few days later another letter with a request for additional identification documents.
I just wanted to verify - is this a normal procedure for new accounts ? (If so why was there online identification test)
Is it possible to send them the info via email or using the web-site, since it's more secure than regular mail, (especially for those kind of sensitive documents)?

I'm a little paranoid about sending those kind of docs via mail.

Thanks!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Vanguard new account - Additional information needed (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »
Uhhhh I'm pretty sure I didn't have to send in any verification documents. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't have to verify my identity online either (though it was a while ago so I could be wrong).

What exactly are they asking for?

Morpheus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
One primary form of ID (DL\SSN card\Passport\ Permanent resident card) and one secondary form of ID (Utility\Tax\Property bill\W2\Mortgage\bank statement\ lease agreement)

Maybe it's because I'm a permanent resident and not a citizen?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:00:36 AM »
Hmm that might be it. I am not sure.

If you want to submit these digitally, just call them and ask to see if it is possible. But do keep in mind that you do receive your SSN and passport (and permanent resident card perhaps, I was too young then to pay attention to that) in the mail when you first obtain them. So it's not like these type of documents don't go through the mail on a regular basis.

Same thing with utility bills, tax returns, bank statements, etc.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!