Author Topic: Vanguard IRA  (Read 2844 times)

BR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard IRA
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
I'm 38 years old and planning to move my IRA ($200,000+) to Vanguard. I can't decide between the LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (VSMGX) or the Target Retirement 2035 fund. Any suggestions? Any other options I should consider? Thanks.

bUU

• Stubble
Re: Vanguard IRA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
It depends on what the rest of your portfolio looks like, and what your investment objectives are.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »
I'm 38 years old and planning to move my IRA ($200,000+) to Vanguard. I can't decide between the LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (VSMGX) or the Target Retirement 2035 fund. Any suggestions? Any other options I should consider? Thanks.
Only you can make that decision - and like bUU said, it depends a lot on what your total portolio is and what your objectives are.
VSMGX is a 60/40 mix of stocks and bonds, with a lot of international exposure in both stocks and bonds.
the 2035 target fund is 85/15, but will shift gradually towards more bonds.
Personally, I like having a much larger percentage in equities - I'm shooting for 95/5 by the end of this year.  But that's just me.

t-rymz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »
The two funds are pretty similar. The target date fund is currently more aggressive in stocks, but will change to less aggressive by the time you retire. Assuming you have a 20-year time horizon to retire, the 2035 will probably fit that best.

If you head over to jlcollinsnh (a blog) you can read some more about his recommended allocations and why. He's more eloquent than I am. You can also build your own set by buying 4-5 funds.