Author Topic: UK Investor?  (Read 38493 times)

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: UK Investor?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »
Asset alloc: if you have any UK domiciled stocks, they are most efficient (least bad) to hold outside the ISA as there is a dividend credit. Most ETFs are not UK domiciled, even when they hold UK stocks, sadly.

Bonds are usually worst outside a tax shelter.

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

I'm searching for platform to open my ISA and start investing into index funds. I stumbled onto this thread and started to wonder, why you are discussing so much about funds being domiciled or not? Does it really matter if I'm going to invest only 15k £ per year through ISA and none outside of it?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
Asset alloc: if you have any UK domiciled stocks, they are most efficient (least bad) to hold outside the ISA as there is a dividend credit. Most ETFs are not UK domiciled, even when they hold UK stocks, sadly.

Bonds are usually worst outside a tax shelter.

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

I'm searching for platform to open my ISA and start investing into index funds. I stumbled onto this thread and started to wonder, why you are discussing so much about funds being domiciled or not? Does it really matter if I'm going to invest only 15k £ per year through ISA and none outside of it?

Ok, so here's how it works. There are foreign taxes. If foreign taxes are paid, assuming the tax is paid outside a tax shelter, you can offset your local tax - assuming there is a double taxation agreement (there usually is). So, for example, if you hold US stocks, dividends will be cut by 30% - or 15% if you have a W-8BEN on file.

In an ISA you can't get that money back any how. In a pension, there is an agreement where nothing gets withheld.

To the best of my knowledge - in an ISA - it's gone. Lost to the US government. If you have a LSE listed ETF trading in pounds that holds US stocks it is probably buried and gone. If it's listed in the US, and bought in US$, outside an ISA you should be able to reclaim it.

All this is moot if you're only investing in an ISA. Don't let it worry you. Honestly, I'm not 100% on the various tax arrangements within an ISA, I'm not sure how it works with things you buy in pounds that hold foreign stocks. I know that Irish and Luxembourg domicile impose no extra tax. Obviously you want to avoid double taxation so probably holding something in US$ is going to have less in terms of foreign withholding - with a W-8BEN - but the cost of currency conversion makes it more a pain.

I'm much more 'into' Canadian stuff, as that's where I live now. The number one thing is to start investing, doing what your asset allocation says, reinvesting any distributions.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
OK, next purchase is going to be IWRD.L

You're right Daverobev, the TER might be higher, but I'm just dithering over it now.
I need to start making larger purchases (as you're both keen to remind me :) ), so I'm going to buy about £2000 of IWRD.L  this time.

By the end of this tax year, my goal is to have an ISA with £7500 of UK gilts and  £7500 FTSE100 ETF's
Then  outside the ISA £7500 FTSE 250 and £7500 of international ETFs

This is top of my life goal list at the moment.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
happycat, you have IWeb stocks and shares ISA account, is that right? Could you tell me, if you can buy these etf: https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf ? Currently I'm thinking about buying 5000£ VUKE (this one is available, I can see from your previous posts), 5000£ VUSA and the last one 5000£ should go to VWRL or VHYL.

P.S. All of them is Ireland domicile, even the one for S&P 500. There was some discussions about it before. So, I believe there should be no problems with dividends double taxed.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
happycat, you have IWeb stocks and shares ISA account, is that right? Could you tell me, if you can buy these etf: https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf ? Currently I'm thinking about buying 5000£ VUKE (this one is available, I can see from your previous posts), 5000£ VUSA and the last one 5000£ should go to VWRL or VHYL.

P.S. All of them is Ireland domicile, even the one for S&P 500. There was some discussions about it before. So, I believe there should be no problems with dividends double taxed.

I used to own VUKE, I would expect the others to be available too - you should be able to buy anything on the London Stock Exchange.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:12 AM »

So you're telling me I can own a global ETF such as VWRL or VHYL, with a lower rate TER than IWRD.L?
Is there a catch because VWRL or VHYL look a lot more attractive to me than IWRD?

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
So you're telling me I can own a global ETF such as VWRL or VHYL, with a lower rate TER than IWRD.L?
Is there a catch because VWRL or VHYL look a lot more attractive to me than IWRD?

I'm asking if you can buy those while using IWeb Share and Dealing ISA. daverobev thinks that there should be such possibility, especially since you can buy VUKE. I haven't opened an account yet, but you can check it if you have the account. I'm just making sure that I'll be able to do it before opening one. Could you check if these ETFs are in the list?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
You can dp a pretend trade - get a quote and not go through with it. If they give you a price (click accept within 15 seconds...) it'll be available.

Way back, I tried to buy H50E.L and it didn't show up... dropped them an email and they hooked something up so I could buy it.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 06:09:15 AM »

VUKE  - Yes
VUSA  - Yes
VWRL  - Yes
VHYL - Yes

I didn't actually place a trade but these options were available through IWeb.
I'm starting to wonder if I should be buying these instead as they have lower TERs?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

VUKE  - Yes
VUSA  - Yes
VWRL  - Yes
VHYL - Yes

I'm starting to wonder if I should be buying these instead as they have lower TERs?

Vanguard is usually cheaper than iShares - they are the market leader in driving down prices. No reason not to go Vanguard, IMHO.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »
Woah!!

Ok this is a massive confidence knock.
So i'd be better off investing in VUKE, VUSA, VWRL and VHYL instead of HUKX.L, HMCX.L, IGLT.L and IWRD.L because they have lower TERs???

I've already got £600 of IGLT.L  in my ISA, can I just switch to buying Vanguard gilts instead?

How do you know what to research unless you know what you're looking for?
I mean I didn't even know these Vanguard ETFs existed until  PovilasP posted them on here?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
Woah!!

Ok this is a massive confidence knock.
So i'd be better off investing in VUKE, VUSA, VWRL and VHYL instead of HUKX.L, HMCX.L, IGLT.L and IWRD.L because they have lower TERs???

I've already got £600 of IGLT.L  in my ISA, can I just switch to buying Vanguard gilts instead?

How do you know what to research unless you know what you're looking for?
I mean I didn't even know these Vanguard ETFs existed until  PovilasP posted them on here?

Vanguard only recently started in the UK - so they are bringing out new products.

It's up to you - either sell the 600 quid and buy the other one, or let it ride - the difference in MER is "important" but the difference between investing and not is "fucking enormous".

So if one is 0.1% and the other is 0.2%... yeah go with the cheaper one, sure. But - especially in a TAXABLE account - if you have a lot at 0.2% it won't be worth switching what you already own due to capital gains - usually. Plus, the expensive one will likely have to change their prices if they lose a lot of business to the cheaper one.

I have some HMCX which is up 30% or something, there is no way I would sell it to save a measley 0.1% on the MER. 1%? Sure - in the long run that'll make a huge difference.

Getting your plan in place, sticking to it, chucking money at it is important. Finding sensibly priced things is important. But, in 20 years, if you've been paying 0.2% instead of 0.1% because you didn't know about a fund? Don't fret.

But absolutely - switch to the cheaper options now you know about them.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »
Ok so I've got to restructure everything now.
I'll leave the £600 worth of IGLT in the ISA because otherwise I'll lose out on this years allowance.

I'm not sure what to do about the £1000 of IWRD sitting in my CMA. I literally purchased it just over a week ago.

Now instead of buying HUKX with a TER of 0.35 I'm going to buy VUKE with a TER of 0.1 for the FTSE 100 index.

And instead of IGLT with a TER of 0.2 I'm going to buy VGOV with a TER of 0.12.  Does this sound ok?

My next question is what do I buy instead of IWRD for the world index. The options are: VWRL (which is a Vanguard FTSE *All World* ETF), or VHYL (which is a FTSE All world High dividend)??

And then what do I buy instead of HMCX, is there a Vanguard equivalent for the FTSE 250?
I looked at the VUSE but that's for the Dow Jones S&P 500, and that doesn't balance out my UK investment strategy?
Shall I just stick with HMCX until Vanguard get round to creating an ETF for the FTSE 250?

This is a little "wobble", I will get back round to buying.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Ok so I've got to restructure everything now.
I'll leave the £600 worth of IGLT in the ISA because otherwise I'll lose out on this years allowance.

I'm not sure what to do about the £1000 of IWRD sitting in my CMA. I literally purchased it just over a week ago.

Now instead of buying HUKX with a TER of 0.35 I'm going to buy VUKE with a TER of 0.1 for the FTSE 100 index.

And instead of IGLT with a TER of 0.2 I'm going to buy VGOV with a TER of 0.12.  Does this sound ok?

My next question is what do I buy instead of IWRD for the world index. The options are: VWRL (which is a Vanguard FTSE *All World* ETF), or VHYL (which is a FTSE All world High dividend)??

And then what do I buy instead of HMCX, is there a Vanguard equivalent for the FTSE 250?
I looked at the VUSE but that's for the Dow Jones S&P 500, and that doesn't balance out my UK investment strategy?
Shall I just stick with HMCX until Vanguard get round to creating an ETF for the FTSE 250?

This is a little "wobble", I will get back round to buying.

High Dividend - avoid, at least til you retire, and probably even then. You're going for broad diversification - high yield is not that.

Have a look on the product pages, and see what IWRD and VWRL are made up of. How many stocks, in which countries?

Nothing wrong with HMCX. Try Internet Searching "FTSE 250 ETF" or "HMCX.L alternatives" or something like that.

I would suggest not bothering to sell and buy a different ETF. It's up to you; as you've owned it for such a short period, no issues either way. It'll take, what, 5 years to recoup the 10 quid sell/buy. Or less, I suppose, if you only sell when you're about to buy some more anyway. Meh.

Oh yeah.. if you sell within an ISA you don't lose that room. The cash you get stays within, until you withdraw it. Not sure if that's what you were saying. You can sell everything and rebuy something else.. you just lose the trading cost each time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:41:49 AM by daverobev »

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
Ok I'll hang on to everything and just buy the Vanguard stuff from now on.

I've looked for "HMCX.L alternatives, but can't seem to find any. I guess I'll just keep buying "HMCX.L and keep my ear to the ground for a Vanguard alternative in the future.

Consider this a small"course correction".

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »
OK I'm over the "wobble".

Just transferred £2400 into my ISA.

I'm going to buy some VUKE tonight, about £2400 worth.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
VUKE  - Yes
VUSA  - Yes
VWRL  - Yes
VHYL - Yes

Thanks for confirmation. After this opened an account and today finally letter with temporary password arrived. Hoping tomorrow to start buying.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
Ok, I've just made my first deal! Thanks people in this forum for the help :)

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi PovilasP

Congratulations :D

Do you mind me asking why you buy into the Dow Jones S&P 500 instead of FTSE250?

Just curious?

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Hi PovilasP

Congratulations :D

Do you mind me asking why you buy into the Dow Jones S&P 500 instead of FTSE250?

Just curious?

I'm not sure what you mean. What I bought (FTSE All-World Index, VWRL) has a big diversification around the world, Uk is only 7.7%, so leaves me some space to buy FTSE250 seperately with lower TER (anyone has advice on FTSE100 vs FTSE250?). Yes, United states part is huge - 49%, which is a lot, but it's not as buying S&P 500.  Just the market of USA is the biggest and it makes sense to have biggest part of portfolio there. Final thing, I'm planning to get back to Lithuania after 2.5 years, it makes me less eager to buy UK indexes directly.

From Vanguard website about this etf
United States 49.0% 49.0%
Japan 7.9 7.9
United Kingdom 7.7 7.7
Canada 3.5 3.5
France 3.3 3.3
Switzerland 3.2 3.2
Germany 3.0 3.1
Australia 3.0 3.0
China 2.0 2.0
Korea 1.7 1.7
Total 84.3% 84.4%

The next my step is to buy FTSE250 or FTSE100. After that maybe even directly S&P 500 with lower TER.

2014-10-03 update: bought VUKE for 2500£.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:08:15 AM by PovilasP »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
FTSE 100 is very large companies, often multinational.

FTSE 250 is decently sized companies, but much more likely to be national than international.

For a UK investor it's good to have both. By market cap, the FTSE 100 dwarfs the 250, so if you buy a FTSE All-Share fund or ETF, you get something like 80%/20% of the former to the latter.

Depends on the rest of your portfolio, really. I'd probably hold equal amounts of 100 & 250.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »

FTSE 250 is decently sized companies, but much more likely to be national than international.

For a UK investor it's good to have both. By market cap, the FTSE 100 dwarfs the 250, so if you buy a FTSE All-Share fund or ETF, you get something like 80%/20% of the former to the latter.

Depends on the rest of your portfolio, really. I'd probably hold equal amounts of 100 & 250.
Well, I don't see access to FTSE All-share trough here https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf.

I thought that FTSE100 is 100 biggest companies and FTSE250 is 250 biggest companies, which in turn includes all the FTSE100. Your answer tells me that that's not the case and I should have both of them in my portfolio. Thanks :)

To be precise:
The FTSE 250 Index (/ˈfʊtsiː/ FUUT-see) is a capitalisation-weighted index consisting of the 101st to the 350th largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. Promotions and demotions to and from this index take place quarterly in March, June, September and December.
The FTSE 100 is an index composed of the 100 largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE). These are often referred to as 'blue chip' companies, and the index is seen traditionally as a good indication of the performance of major companies listed in the UK.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:53:09 AM by PovilasP »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »

Well, I don't see access to FTSE All-share trough here https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf.

I thought that FTSE100 is 100 biggest companies and FTSE250 is 250 biggest companies, which in turn includes all the FTSE100. Your answer tells me that that's not the case and I should have both of them in my portfolio. Thanks :)

To be precise:
The FTSE 250 Index (/ˈfʊtsiː/ FUUT-see) is a capitalisation-weighted index consisting of the 101st to the 350th largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. Promotions and demotions to and from this index take place quarterly in March, June, September and December.
The FTSE 100 is an index composed of the 100 largest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE). These are often referred to as 'blue chip' companies, and the index is seen traditionally as a good indication of the performance of major companies listed in the UK.

Indeed, first the 100, then the 250. The All Share is a market weighted 100 + 250 + small cap, apparently ~625 companies.

State Street do FTAL.L with 0.2% MER. *Edit* Looks like it's capitalising/accumulating - ie it reinvests dividends - too! Might be buying some of that myself!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:24:52 PM by daverobev »

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »
Ok, IWeb/LES doesn't give access to FTSE250 VMID (previously I didn't notice that in this thread). It doens't find by VMID, nor by Vanguard keyword. The picture shows everything what is available at the moment

FTAL.L I can find only FTAL in IWeb. It's called SSGA SPDR ETFS EUR FTSE UK ALL SHARE GBP. Are you talking about this one? Tried googling FTAL.L and FTAL can't see the difference - price is the same, but it's etf, not index, that indicates that it's the same thing. Also, TER is 0,2% (http://www.iii.co.uk/research/LSE:FTAL) Maybe the letter L after dot just indicates that it's London market?

Update: I  accidentally stumbled on this document about dividend payment https://www.vanguard.co.uk/documents/portal/legal/etf-distribution-schedule.pdf Is it true that FTSE All-World Index   (VWRL) pays dividends in USD?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:35:46 AM by PovilasP »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Different places show the exchange a stock or ETF is listed on in different ways. I use the .L to show London Stock Exchange. So yeah, VUKE and VUKE.L are the same, the latter just specifying it's on the LSE. This becomes important when something means something different on different exchanges! Eg, T is Telus in Canada, but AT&T in the US.

If something's base currency is X, but it lists on a different exchange as well - and that exchange works in a different currency - your divis will be currency converted.

Eg if you hold a London Stock Exchange listed version of an S&P500 US ETF which you bought in pounds, your divis will be converted into pounds.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
And - for this VMID - ask iWeb. They may well just add it to 'the list' no fuss, like they did with H50E for me years ago.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
Just bought £2500 worth of VUKE
Getting more confident with this.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
VMID .....the answer to my prayers???

How come its TER is n/a ?

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2014, 05:49:30 AM »
And - for this VMID - ask iWeb. They may well just add it to 'the list' no fuss, like they did with H50E for me years ago.

They said, they will look into it. That's the transcript:
<..>
Povilas:  I was wondering about VMID etf of Vanguard. Which is presented here https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf and shown as available in UK.
<..>
Povilas:  Is there any plans to add it to the list?
Helen:  Ill look now
<..>
Helen:  It does not look like one we can trade on
Povilas:  The cause for that is Vanguard doesn't make it available for you? And it might change, since Vangurad constantly expanding through Europe?
<..>
Helen:  I can see if this can be set up
Helen:  Ill need to e-mail you however
<..>
Helen:  Vanguard Funds Vanguard FTSE 250 Ucits ETF this is the full name isnt it?
Povilas:  yes, it is
Helen:  ok Ill check this further
Povilas:  just in case, my email is **********
Povilas:  so, now I can close this chat window and wait for an email?
Helen:  Yes please this may not be until next week

<...>

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2014, 05:50:26 AM »
VMID .....the answer to my prayers???

How come its TER is n/a ?
I'm not sure where are you looking, but https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf shows it as 0.1%

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
I was looking here:

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/v/vanguard-funds-ftse-250-ucits-etf

I was just doing some "quick research".

Still I think this is what I'm looking for.
I'm going to do some research on https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/etf
That would be a better place to start.

I'm learning a bit more every time I come here. 

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
jUST BOUGT £2000 OF VWRL.

I'm getiing iWeb to add VMID.L to their options.

It should take a few days. But I think I'll buy VMID  instead of HMCX
The TER is lower.

Can someone please confirm that VWRL is the Vanguard equivalent of IWRD, i.e. they're both world ETFs that don't pay dividends?
 I don't want dividend payments yet, I want dividends closer to retirement so I need non paying world ETFs at the moment yeah?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:45:18 AM by happycat »

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Can someone please confirm that VWRL is the Vanguard equivalent of IWRD, i.e. they're both world ETFs that don't pay dividends?
 I don't want dividend payments yet, I want dividends closer to retirement so I need non paying world ETFs at the moment yeah?

According to this: https://www.vanguard.co.uk/documents/portal/legal/etf-distribution-schedule.pdf it will pay dividends.

The point here is that if fund doesn't pay dividends, it means that they are reinvested automatically, because some companies will pay them, you cannot avoid it.

So, if you can reinvest those dividends on your own, you'll be losing only 5£ on IWeb. Or maybe nothing, because you would add dividend sum to your normal investing and do it using the same fee.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
I've got the reply from IWeb about VMID, they will not add it:
Dear Povilas

"Further to your query on the Live Chat facility regarding stock eligibility for Vanguard Funds Vanguard FTSE 250 Units ETF.

I regret we cannot trade this stock as only one market covers this stock so we are unable to set this up.

I hope I have been able to help you with your query, however should you require any further information please do not hesitate to e-mail me at any time or alternatively call us on 0870 412 7060."

I don't get what means the bold part about only one market. Any thoughts?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »
Makes no sense as it trades on the LSE. https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/loadPDF?docId=3819

It's brand new though. Maybe in a couple of months they'll be able to deal with it. Probably they are so cheap because they (iweb) talk to 'counterparties' rather than just the stock exchange itself. So when more counterparties have it...

Just get HMCX in the meantime.

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
Hi Guys,
I just phoned the lovely people at iWeb and asked them about adding VMID

She said it's on the system, they're just waiting for some paperwork to go through and then it *should* be ready to buy.

She told me to try tomorrow, so I'll fund the account tomorrow and try and buy VMID.

They are adding it, it's just a slow process.

I'll let you know hot I get on.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
That's quite funny. Today, I've got explanation why they will not add it (the ETF doesn't meet our trading criteria. This can be due to trading volumes and the liquidity of the stock.) And happycat has confirmation that it will be added.

However, I've checked the interface and found the picture attached. Now, VMID is in the list, but it's still not possible to buy. Replied to IWeb email, saying that they're providing misleading information and asking whether will they integrate it fully - allowing us to buy it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:25:43 PM by PovilasP »

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
Contacted them today regarding VMID as not eligible to ISA account. At first he just said that the fund is not ISA qualifying, but then I insisted that there should be no difference between VUKE and VMID. So, he said that he will investigate and get back to me.

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 05:35:54 AM »
Looks like VMID is available to buy in ISA account.

Update: Got the confirmation letter, that VMID is available for ISA account. Just the strange thing is that Volumne is 12 times less than VUKE (25k vs 300k).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:13:37 AM by PovilasP »

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
Just bought £2500 worth of VUKE
Getting more confident with this.

I like your style.

I wouldn't obsess regarding dividends now or in retirement.

Unless you are a higher rate tax payer then you won't pay any tax on dividends now so they can be re-invested anyway.

I like getting dividends to re-invest into different investments and getting some "free" diversity.

Dividends don't really start to become significant until your portfolio is larger, like 100k

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
State Street do FTAL.L with 0.2% MER. *Edit* Looks like it's capitalising/accumulating - ie it reinvests dividends - too! Might be buying some of that myself!

Thanks for pointing out this ETF.  I have been looking at Aberdeen Investment Trust All share trackers.

Advantages - trades at a slight discount to NAV
Disadvantages - higher TER.

I haven't really seen any other passive investment trusts before so I thought this seemed interesting. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:15:11 PM by frugledoc »

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
there is also CSUKS - Ishares UK small cap but I'm not sure if an active fund would be better for small caps as they are less researched so may be more likely to beat the market?

happycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Hi,

With the share ISA you've got a £15000 allowance.

Am I right in thinking that you just have to fund it with £150000 in the tax year, you don't necessarily HAVE to buy stock?

As long as the money is in the ISA you can make trades any time you want?

Cheers

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
Correct.  Don't do what I did and get investment paralysis though.  Get that money to work!

PovilasP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »
With the share ISA you've got a £15000 allowance.

Just wanted to add that the next year's allowance (starts April 6) will increase to 15 240 £

DrWarbucks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »
What platform do you guys use?
Axa self invest looked best to me.
Thanks.

kvaruni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
Still figuring it out myself so I can start of with a new ISA as of April. To me, at the moment, Cavendish and Halifax seem to be the best choices. Cavendish looks nice because the cost you pay is based on the amount you have invested, and dealing costs for funds are, well, they are free. Exit fees are free as well with Cavendish. Halifax looks interesting because you pay a flat yearly fee of £12.5 followed by £2 a trade for regular investing. My strategy would be to start out with Cavendish, and over the years move it to Halifax (or iWeb). This is all assuming a budding investment system, where at least for the first few years thetotal invested amount is quite low (< £50,000). Anyway, any and all advice would be welcome on the matter.