Author Topic: Two Questions: Vanguard  (Read 2259 times)

Cottonwood28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Two Questions: Vanguard
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
Hopefully these are quick questions and thank you in advance.

1. My roll over IRA has $7,000 in one fund. I would enjoy getting it to $10k for Admiral Shares but not sure how to or if it makes sense. I contribute max to my Roth every year as we are low income enough (with 401k savings) to not have Federal taxes. Is there another way to contribute or am I stuck with it at current amount for now as contributing to roll over IRA instead of Roth doesn't make sense?

2. Do funds you have sold completely with a zero balance ever disappear from your balance and holdings area? I've cleaned my account up quite a bit since finding this forum but the old index funds are still listed.

JohnGalt

• Bristles
Re: Two Questions: Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
1. What will your taxes be when withdrawing the money?  If you expect they'll be equally low then, it really doesn't matter much which one you contribute too. 

2.  I'm guessing this is a vanguard as the brokerage question?  I don't use it so I can't help you there. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
Regarding question 2, my guess is that the old index fund is still there as a reminder that you can't put funds back into that fund until a year has passed since you made the trade.  At least that was the condition for me when I recently made a switch from one fund to another.

Cottonwood28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
1. Right now we pay no federal taxes so I think Roth is best so I'll deal with the investor shares for now.

2. Make sense. The initial hold is gone but it hasn't been a full year.

Thanks!