Author Topic: new vanguard ETF portfolios canada  (Read 3204 times)

c-kat

• Stubble
new vanguard ETF portfolios canada
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »
Hi, This month Vanguard started three portfolio ETFS on the Canadian exchange. Curious if anyone is planning to use them?  I was thinking about using VGRO which is 80% equity (US, Can and INT) , 20% bonds for my daughter's RESP. It would save me having to rebalance between my ETFS. I could just buy once every January and be done with it.  Curious what others think about the product? 

AnotherCanuckStasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: new vanguard ETF portfolios canada
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
There is some good recent discussion of this topic on the comments section at:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2018/02/05/vanguards-one-fund-solution/

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Blog post on it today by the RichMoose too
(Therichmoose.com)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »
I was looking for some discussion on this so I will post and try to revive the thread.

Had anyone invested in VCNS, VBAL or VGRO yet?

I read this and found the end particularly interesting and applicable.

http://findependencehub.com/vanguard-canada-launches-3-new-asset-allocation-etfs/

"Finally, for couples where one spouse is the “finance” person and the other disinterested, this kind of product seems ideal ....

In the case of a financially literate wife and a financially uninterested husband, ...the Balanced or Conservative version might also do the trick..."

I understand it is less tax efficient than holding different ETFs in you RRSP, TFSA and other, but it should be better in the long run than holding cash which my disinterested SO is currently doing.

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
I was looking for some discussion on this so I will post and try to revive the thread.

I read this and found the end particularly interesting and applicable.

http://findependencehub.com/vanguard-canada-launches-3-new-asset-allocation-etfs/

"Finally, for couples where one spouse is the “finance” person and the other disinterested, this kind of product seems ideal ....

In the case of a financially literate wife and a financially uninterested husband, ...the Balanced or Conservative version might also do the trick..."

I understand it is less tax efficient than holding different ETFs in you RRSP, TFSA and other, but it should be better in the long run than holding cash which my disinterested SO is currently doing.

I invested in VGRO in my family RESP. It is the only holding in that account. My kids are very young so I think I have time to be aggressive. Will move it to VBAL when they start high school or something probably.

I think these all-in ETFs are fantastic for so many situations.

Islander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
I recently just started investing in vgro. Seems like a good option for a lazy passive portfolio.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking into that fund, looks like a good option for anyone who doesn't want to manage and rebalance but no pay crazy mutual fund fees

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »

So we have invested about 12K my SO’s RRSP into VCNS.

There is a larger chunk of old RRSP mutual funds we are moving over from another bank into the direct investment account so that should be VCNS soon as well.

They are open to a bit more risk overall so we will put a $6K TFSA into VGRO.

Combined it will be a very conservative, almost unmustacian, allocation but it works for us at the moment.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
So we have invested about 12K my SO’s RRSP into VCNS.

There is a larger chunk of old RRSP mutual funds we are moving over from another bank into the direct investment account so that should be VCNS soon as well.

They are open to a bit more risk overall so we will put a $6K TFSA into VGRO.

Combined it will be a very conservative, almost unmustacian, allocation but it works for us at the moment.
That's awesome! I would not call it un-Mustachian at all. Throughout much of history a 50/50 portfolio was considered a balanced portfolio. I believe the aggressive portfolio allocations commonly seen today are a more recent phenomenon.

The important thing is you are investing in something with decent growth potential, it is easy to understand, and it likely will be pushing the boundaries of your SO's risk tolerance as is.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!