Author Topic: Personal Capital call Friday  (Read 57161 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Personal Capital call Friday
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
I told personal capital once to stop emailing and calling me a long time ago and they stopped.  Just tell them you don't want them call and they likely will stop.

Yep, they have a Do Not Call list (I think legitimate companies are legally required to have one). Just email their support email.

Regardless, I have deleted my account with them. They don't need all my info and Mint + Vanguard's account overview is enough for me. I do wonder how much of this blog's ~$400k/yr haul comes from Personal Capital referrals.

I believe MadFientist has a closer referral relationship to PC than MMM.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
Hi,

I see that you've been using Personal Capital for several months. How are the free tools? I hope you've been able to derive insights from our tools to improve your financial situation.

I'm one of a team of financial advisors at Personal Capital, and I spend my days helping individuals and families prepare for large, upcoming financial milestones -- whether that is buying a home, saving for a kid's college education, or planning for retirement.

My team and I have tried reaching you several times. I hope this is now a good time to finally connect, learn more about you, and help you chart a path to reach your financial goals. Feel free to find a mutually convenient time on my calendar His calendar was hyperlinked or contact my office at (855) 855-8005. I'll look forward to speaking with you soon.

Um, no dude. I've been using the free tools for years.  You only think it's been months because you inherited my contact information from a coworker last year. You're also giving me the starter email for the same reason even though I've already heard and rejected the sales pitch.

I'm pretty sure he tried calling me twice this week, but hasn't left a voice mail.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Is it odd that I have NEVER heard of Personal Capital before reading this thread today?

adman_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
I have nothing particularly bad to say about PC, but I don't think they're well-suited to Mustachians (or Bogleheads, for that matter). If you (or your SO/family) wants the "security" of having an actual human financial planner, they are certainly less awful than most AUM shops. Their investment plan is fine, but I doubt it would beat a 3-fund portfolio over time, and certainly not by enough to justify paying the AUM fee forever.

I had my assets managed there for about 18 months, including a sizable taxable account. I had transferred to PC from Morgan Stanley, where I was getting absolutely fleeced: 1.5% AUM, plus high expense-ratio funds. So PC's 0.89% with no garbage funds seemed like a bargain in comparison. Of course, after a couple of months with PC I discovered Bogleheads and MMM, and I realized that even 0.89% was too expensive. I just moved the bulk of my funds out of PC and into a low-cost brokerage, where I'll slowly rebalance away from the individual stocks and into broad market ETFs. It'll happen pretty slowly unless and until we have a pretty significant correction, however. With the rise in the market over the last 12 months, I have a lot of unrealized gains. The individual stock portion of the portfolio does a decent job of tracking the broader market since it's so many stocks, so for now, I'm just holding my existing positions while adding new money to VTI/VXUS/BND.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:58 AM »
Wait, they never call me waaahhh 😫 Although I did call to talk to them once and the guy was such a jerk, decided they aren't worth chatting with.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »
A message sent to me through their free online tool:

You've saved 86% of the average tax-deferred investments (like IRA & 401K) for your age group among Personal Capital users. Is it time to start saving more? Learn more about saving more and even retiring early.

Am I reading this right? It thinks I've saved only 86% of the average of what others my age save for retirement in tax-deferred accounts?  I have two Roths and TSP paid in full this year. I literally cannot save any more in tax deferred accounts.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
I hung up on the lady after about 20 seconds. She then emailed me to "thank you for the humbling experience of being hung up on. That has never happened to me in the finance industry."

Am I just a huge jerk or what?

-W

Really? You've never been hung up on in the process of selling something? Somebody is either lying or hasn't been doing this for very long.

You need to get better at understanding sarcasm. You're in for a lot of outrage otherwise.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »

You've saved 86% of the average tax-deferred investments (like IRA & 401K) for your age group among Personal Capital users. Is it time to start saving more? Learn more about saving more and even retiring early.

Am I reading this right? It thinks I've saved only 86% of the average of what others my age save for retirement in tax-deferred accounts?  I have two Roths and TSP paid in full this year. I literally cannot save any more in tax deferred accounts.

It's probably talking about balances, not annual flows.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

It's probably talking about balances, not annual flows.

That still makes me scratch my head.  Elsewhere on the forum there is a poll going connected to a website that claims my net worth is in the upper 90s% of my peer group, but according to PC I'm below average for saving for retirement.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
Hi,

I see that you've been using Personal Capital for several months. How are the free tools? I hope you've been able to derive insights from our tools to improve your financial situation.

I'm one of a team of financial advisors at Personal Capital, and I spend my days helping individuals and families prepare for large, upcoming financial milestones -- whether that is buying a home, saving for a kid's college education, or planning for retirement.

My team and I have tried reaching you several times. I hope this is now a good time to finally connect, learn more about you, and help you chart a path to reach your financial goals. Feel free to find a mutually convenient time on my calendar His calendar was hyperlinked or contact my office at (855) 855-8005. I'll look forward to speaking with you soon.

Um, no dude. I've been using the free tools for years.  You only think it's been months because you inherited my contact information from a coworker last year. You're also giving me the starter email for the same reason even though I've already heard and rejected the sales pitch.

I'm pretty sure he tried calling me twice this week, but hasn't left a voice mail.

So I finally let the guy speak his peace. He started the conversation acting as if this was the first time I've heard the sales pitch.  I politely stopped him and reminded him I've been here before.  He asked me to recap those conversations and started asking me about my AA and why I don't have certain sectors very highly represented. Apparently I gave a thorough enough explanation that he acknowledged we really had nothing to discuss.  He was polite about the whole thing.  I asked him if PC had a pay-for-service option and he said despite receiving a lot of requests for such services they don't provide it.  I told him I wouldn't need his help until they do and we ended the call.