Author Topic: Tracking your financial life - One Spreadsheet to Rule them All  (Read 8037 times)

FamVestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I have never paid for a haircut or a cup of coffee
    • FamVestor
So I didn't see anyone actually post their spreadsheet. So I thought I would share mine. I think it does a pretty good job at showing net worth, expenses, savings all while remaining simple on one page.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FLJJ7KcFspcXRg0zxW1lTmAmmzb7ud8Td5OrEVZzpx4/edit?usp=sharing

I prefer this over Mint and Personal Capital. I'd love to see other people's spreadsheets, or get comments on how I can improve it.

Free Forever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tracking your financial life - One Spreadsheet to Rule them All
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
It's good that you're sharing and asking for feedback..  I track my net worth in Mint, income statement is done in a spreadsheet and I use personal capital and Cfiresim to gauge when I can FIRE and how robust that estimate is. I'd love it if one tool did all these things well but that might be a bit much to ask.

comments on improving:

Ratio's provide another very important dimension to financial analysis. I'd add ratios for savings rate, Expenses as a % of total expense. Savings per year as a percentage of net worth is a good ratio too.

Make a starker visual separation of the income part of your spreadsheet (income and expenses) from the balance sheet part (assets, liabilities and networth).

FamVestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • FamVestor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:07:07 AM »
Finally some great feedback! Thanks. The Ratio's are a good point and yes I need it cleaner cut. Also thinking to incorporate the freedom number.

pumpkinlantern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
I have 3 spreadsheets.

(1) Net worth
- I have data for every 6 months showing my total liabilities, total assets, and total net worth, which I've made into a pretty graph.  It helps me feel like I'm making progress as I see the net worth go up.

(2) Expenses
- All my income and expenses broken down into categories, which I also track every 6 months to keep me honest on any possible sources of lifestyle inflation.
- In this spreadsheet, I also have an annual budget.

(3) FI projection
- In this spreadsheet, I have my projected savings from various sources of income and investment returns so that I can predict ~ how long it will take me to get to FI.

Essentially, if you were to use the equivalent from financial statements for a business, #1 = Balance sheet, #2 = income statement, #3 = cash flow + predicted growth.

FamVestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • FamVestor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, would you mind sharing a template?

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
I've been using the spreadsheet in the link below. DW and I have been very happy with it.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/one-sheet-to-rule-them-all/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!