Author Topic: Tracking taxable investments  (Read 2370 times)


  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 508
Tracking taxable investments
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:38:44 AM »
  Up until recently all of my spare cash each month was used to pay off student loans or my mortgage.  Since I sold my house last week and am currently renting, Im in the unfamiliar position of having cash available to invest outside of my retirement accounts.  I have opened an account at vanguard and am working on an investment plan that I feel comfortable with.  What I'm a little confused about is how I need to track things for tax purposes.  I currently track all of my financial accounts in Quicken.  Will that track the info I need at tax time?  I know I need to track the cost that I bought my shares and reinvest dividends at but what else do I need to know?  Anyone know of a website that covers this in beginners terms? 

Having been a landlord for 6 years, I know how much time and headaches good bookkeeping can save when it comes time to pay uncle Sam.  I just want to save myself a migraine next April


  • CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • *
  • Posts: 5441
  • Age: 30
  • Location: Chicago
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Tracking taxable investments
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
Vanguard will send you (and the IRS) a form 1099 at the end of the year, which should be all you need. Here's a little info about it.


  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 508
Re: Tracking taxable investments
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Thanks.  That sounds easy enough or at least easier than the taxes for the duplex I had.


  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 377
  • Age: 43
  • Location: Seattle
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
Re: Tracking taxable investments
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
In addition to receiving a 10-99, you can check on the website what your current tax liability is. Poke around in the menu, you will find it.