Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139006 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #7700 on: April 09, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
I will say that escape velocity would introduce a paradox to the "Top is In" universe.
That may be the cleverest thing I've ever read on this board.

Once you escape and get out away from any large gravitational body, some people would say the top is completely relative.  There isn't anything by which to orient yourself.  However, in the distant cold dark void of space there is only One True Frame of Reference, and that is the one for which the top is in. 

Am I the only one that's noticed that the market seems to have launched itself into orbit at this point?

It seems like printing money might have consequences.

Top is in

Yes, big consequences like setting absolute lunatics lose on the poor forum-goers of the internet, purely a general statement of course.   

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7701 on: April 09, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
Am I the only one that's noticed that the market seems to have launched itself into orbit at this point?

It seems like printing money might have consequences.

Top is in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pALjT9XypA

Serious consequences legal consequences top is in.

My most recent counterfeit defendant got 18 months.

Digger1000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7702 on: April 11, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
I retired(at age 51) 8 days before this thread started. My net worth, which is all investable assets, is up 74% since I retired 4 years and 8 days ago.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7703 on: April 12, 2021, 12:17:34 AM »
I retired(at age 51) 8 days before this thread started. My net worth, which is all investable assets, is up 74% since I retired 4 years and 8 days ago.

Has it been that long?  4 year club high five!

My NW is nowhere near 74% up though... it’s satisfyingly up though

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7704 on: April 12, 2021, 07:28:41 AM »

Has it been that long?  4 year club high five!

My NW is nowhere near 74% up though... it’s satisfyingly up though

Our net worth is up 182% since this thread started. About half the growth is from savings and the other half is the market.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7705 on: April 12, 2021, 07:32:49 AM »
Now that's an interesting metric. I'm only up 155% since the start of this thread. Clearly slacking.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7706 on: April 12, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
Wow, we're nowhere near those numbers.  Way lower.   Probably because of our distribution of assets.

1.46%  Cash         
40.07%  Stocks     
11.60%  Bonds       
32.70%  Real Estate
12.69%  Home   

But our expenses have dropped about 28% and our non-portfolio passive income increased about 25%.  That works out to a net increase in disposable income of about $53k per year.   That, and our withdrawal rate can be 0% if we pay attention to what we spend, so we're basically immune to the sequence of returns risk and have no debt.

So, I think we done good despite that. :)

As some of you may remember, we have a mentally handicapped daughter so security of passive income to support her for another 50 years is important.  That's why we optimized what we did.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7707 on: April 12, 2021, 09:06:24 AM »
My net worth was negative when this thread started, it's now positive. My investments are up 329% (savings + gains) since the thread started.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7708 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
My net worth was negative when this thread started, it's now positive. My investments are up 329% (savings + gains) since the thread started.

Congrats!

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7709 on: April 12, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
Liquid assets are up 246.6% since the start of the thread.  Top is in!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7710 on: April 12, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
Wow, we're nowhere near those numbers.  Way lower.   Probably because of our distribution of assets.

1.46%  Cash         
40.07%  Stocks     
11.60%  Bonds       
32.70%  Real Estate
12.69%  Home   

But our expenses have dropped about 28% and our non-portfolio passive income increased about 25%.  That works out to a net increase in disposable income of about $53k per year.   That, and our withdrawal rate can be 0% if we pay attention to what we spend, so we're basically immune to the sequence of returns risk and have no debt.

As some of you may remember, we have a mentally handicapped daughter so security of passive income to support her for another 50 years is important.  That's why we optimized what we did.

I'm still in the accumulation phase (I believe RWD is as well), so it its going to be a lot easier for us to put up big percentage increases than for someone who has already FIREd, both because our denominators were smaller and we're still putting new money into the market each month. (Despite the top being in. What can I say. Force of habit, and otherwise it just piles up).

Optimizing to support a disabled or partially disabled child after you are gone is a really hard task. It's one I've seen others in my own family work towards. Good on you for taking that responsibility so seriously and succeeding so admirably, SwordGuy.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7711 on: April 12, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
What? Oh, me? I'm up 261% since this thread started. Just the uszh.

Thank goodness the top was in.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7712 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »

1.46%  Cash         
40.07%  Stocks     
11.60%  Bonds       
32.70%  Real Estate
12.69%  Home   

I'm still in the accumulation phase (I believe RWD is as well), so it its going to be a lot easier for us to put up big percentage increases than for someone who has already FIREd, both because our denominators were smaller and we're still putting new money into the market each month. (Despite the top being in. What can I say. Force of habit, and otherwise it just piles up).

Optimizing to support a disabled or partially disabled child after you are gone is a really hard task. It's one I've seen others in my own family work towards. Good on you for taking that responsibility so seriously and succeeding so admirably, SwordGuy.

Thanks!    At the moment, if we passed away suddenly, she would have a non-stock/bond passive income of about $60k/year and another $60k via the 4% rule.    My son and his family would take her in but with that income she would be a real financial blessing to them.   Hopefully that won't happen for another 3 or 4 decades of good health on our part and the stash should be even bigger.    Particularly if our new trucking company venture works out, it's carrying its second load of cargo now.  :)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7713 on: April 12, 2021, 06:15:53 PM »
Up about 220% since the thread started. $1,600,000 NW, $900k growth, $300k in contributions.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7714 on: April 12, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »
Up about 220% since the thread started. $1,600,000 NW, $900k growth, $300k in contributions.

It's just too bad that the top is in.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7715 on: April 12, 2021, 07:23:42 PM »

Fun while it lasted. Are beanie babies still a thing?

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7716 on: April 12, 2021, 08:21:52 PM »

Fun while it lasted. Are beanie babies still a thing?

Absolutely - that top is never in.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7717 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »
Seriously (well kind of), what is going on with the market? 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7718 on: April 15, 2021, 10:17:56 AM »

Helicopter money

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7719 on: April 15, 2021, 10:19:28 AM »

Helicopter money

Helicopters are quite expensive. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7720 on: April 15, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »
Serious answer: markets like competent leadership in Washington. Granted, way too small sample size to fully conclude anything, but the data shows the economy usually does better under Democratic administrations than it does under Republican ones. But, you know, the top is definitely in on the right giving two shits about the truth.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7721 on: April 15, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

Helicopter money

I blew through all my retirement targets this week but have been thinking I don’t mind my current work situation so I should just SWAMI it, but need a new goal, now I have one - saving for a helicopter. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7722 on: April 15, 2021, 10:27:29 AM »

Helicopter money

I blew through all my retirement targets this week but have been thinking I don’t mind my current work situation so I should just SWAMI it, but need a new goal, now I have one - saving for a helicopter.

Well, just keep in mind that the cost of the actual helicopter is only the beginning.  They are also quite expensive to maintain. 

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7723 on: April 15, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
Serious answer: markets like competent leadership in Washington. Granted, way too small sample size to fully conclude anything, but the data shows the economy usually does better under Democratic administrations than it does under Republican ones. But, you know, the top is definitely in on the right giving two shits about the truth.

If that were true the markets wouldn't have run up like they did prior to the pandemic or run up after the pandemic but before the election.

The market loves $6 Trillion of stimulus, $4 Trillion of Fed purchases, and 0% interest rates.  Helicopter money for sure.

Total US market cap is up about $4 trillion since 11/2020,  hmmmm......makes me wonder if there is a correlation?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7724 on: April 15, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
Well, just keep in mind that the cost of the actual helicopter is only the beginning.  They are also quite expensive to maintain.

The two best days in any helicopter owner's life: the day you take your brand new helicopter home to your custom built helipad ... and the day you sell your helicopter and pay for an air taxi service instead.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7725 on: April 15, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »

The two best days in any helicopter owner's life: the day you take your brand new helicopter home to your custom built helipad ... and the day you sell your helicopter and pay for an air taxi service instead.

Helicopter ownership is in your grasp! You can get an ultralight kit for like $20k.  The most expensive part of helicopter ownership is actually all the cash you gotta drop out the window to prop up the economy. 

Personally I’d love to get a powered parachute but I ultimately decided the real cost is the risk of disability/death

Helicopter top is in

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7726 on: April 15, 2021, 11:33:17 AM »

Air taxi service is for the hoi polloi.  Plus it's always nice to carry your own helicopter on your yacht since some ports don't have the best air taxi service. 

If that were true the markets wouldn't have run up like they did prior to the pandemic or run up after the pandemic but before the election.

The market loves $6 Trillion of stimulus, $4 Trillion of Fed purchases, and 0% interest rates.  Helicopter money for sure.

Total US market cap is up about $4 trillion since 11/2020,  hmmmm......makes me wonder if there is a correlation?

$10 trillion way exceeds the max gross weight of most helicopters, so I'm calling shenanigans. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7727 on: April 15, 2021, 12:01:24 PM »
Helicopter top is in.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7728 on: April 15, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
Bourgeois top is in

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7729 on: April 15, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
Helicopter top is in.

If a childhood of watching summer blockbusters taught me anything, it was that helicopter top is always ALWAYS in.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #7730 on: April 15, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »

This is a nonsense question.

Or rather, I completely gave up on understanding the market about a year ago.

Early retiree money machine go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7731 on: April 15, 2021, 10:33:33 PM »

This is a nonsense question.

Or rather, I completely gave up on understanding the market about a year ago.

Early retiree money machine go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah, I thought the top was in back in 2012, so what do I know?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7732 on: April 15, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »

haha stock market go brrr

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7733 on: April 15, 2021, 11:47:07 PM »
Top totes in, fear totes back, dry powder at the ready for the big smush.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7734 on: April 16, 2021, 08:42:08 AM »

Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.
Happy anniversary, Top!

A year ago today the S&P opened at 2353.92,
and Thorstach let us all know the top was in.

Today the S&P will open at 2656.87,
an increase of 12.87% from a year ago.

Thanks for the gains, the laughs, and all the failed predictions.
Happy Anniversary to us all.

S&P today is at 4,177.11
an increase of over 177.4% since this thread started.

(Seems obvious at this point that the top is in)

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7735 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »

Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.
Happy anniversary, Top!

S&P today is at 4,177.11

4177.11/2353.92=1.77 which is an increase of 77% not 177%.

Apparently, math top is in.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7736 on: April 16, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »
DOH!!
Apologies.

Coffee top is definitley NOT in.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7737 on: April 16, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
Don't forget about those sweet, sweet dividends that were collected in the meantime too. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7738 on: April 16, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
Don't forget about those sweet, sweet dividends that were collected in the meantime too.
Yup, dividends add about 12.4% over the same time period.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7739 on: April 16, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
Inflation is eroding the value of the dividends! The collapse will be all the larger because the market is up!

The top, my friends, is ever in.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7740 on: April 16, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
Inflation is eroding the value of the dividends! The collapse will be all the larger because the market is up!

The top, my friends, is ever in.

Top Erosion is in!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7741 on: April 16, 2021, 01:38:57 PM »
The market is collapsing up! Just like Shel Silverstein predicted in 1996!

Digger1000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7742 on: April 16, 2021, 02:24:49 PM »

Happy anniversary, Top!

S&P today is at 4,177.11

4177.11/2353.92=1.77 which is an increase of 77% not 177%.

Apparently, math top is in.
So as a retiree on April 3,2017(at age 51) with no pension, the fact that my net worth is up 76.5% as of today's close vs the S&P 500 being up 77% aint too bad. Remember I have been taking money out and not putting any new money in.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7743 on: April 16, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »
The collapse will be all the larger because the market is up!

I'm tempted to get this printed on a hat or t-shirt.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7744 on: April 16, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »
The collapse will be all the larger because the market is up!

I'm tempted to get this printed on a hat or t-shirt.

Everyone on this thread could show up at the next camp mustache with official "The Top is In" shirts!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7745 on: April 17, 2021, 06:27:39 AM »
I'm just glad I'm way too lazy to try to time the market.

Top is always in.

Though seriously it makes no sense to me. But really, I only care because I left a job with substantial unvested RSUs that are going up much more rapidly than I anticipated. Unvested top would have been in.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7746 on: April 17, 2021, 05:16:49 PM »
They should start calling them "All-time high fridays." Seems like we're hitting one just about every week.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7747 on: April 18, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
They should start calling them "All-time high fridays." Seems like we're hitting one just about every week.

Thank God it's All-Time High Friday!

Though the top is in. So, maybe Oh No It's All-Time High So The Top Is Now In Friday.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7748 on: April 19, 2021, 06:02:55 AM »
We Are Lost and the World As We Know It Is Forever Gone From Our Eyes, Only To Live in Our Memories As the Days of Salad and Glory, Truly These Are the End of Times for Today Is An All Time High Fridays. <-- Although the acronym is a bit of a mouthful so I'm not sure how well it'd work to sell chicken wings and mixed drinks.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7749 on: April 19, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »
We Are Lost and the World As We Know It Is Forever Gone From Our Eyes, Only To Live in Our Memories As the Days of Salad and Glory, Truly These Are the End of Times for Today Is An All Time High Fridays

Phrases that sound like they might be Fall Out Boy songs top is in