Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139581 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Top is in
« Reply #4500 on: May 15, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
I’ve decided to only define my tops in non-inertial reference frames. Even the position of the top and the bottom within the frame is no longer fixed.

Non-inertial reference frames are for simpletons who believe in momentum; I've decided to only define my tops in relativistic reference frames.  Time is an illusion and length is a function of your velocity.  Eventually, all tops will succumb to space-time inversions and be physically unable to share information with the rest of the universe, making them irrelevant. 

Entropic expansion is forever.  The top is never in.

I tried a relativistic frame once. The math was too hard for me so I decided I would need to change my assumptions.
Thy was pretty much how I did my undergrad in ChemE for all of the hairy second order differential terms in subjects like fluid dynamics: just assume something that makes them go to zero.

Damn why did't I think of that?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4501 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »
I’ve decided to only define my tops in non-inertial reference frames. Even the position of the top and the bottom within the frame is no longer fixed.

Non-inertial reference frames are for simpletons who believe in momentum; I've decided to only define my tops in relativistic reference frames.  Time is an illusion and length is a function of your velocity.  Eventually, all tops will succumb to space-time inversions and be physically unable to share information with the rest of the universe, making them irrelevant. 

I tried a relativistic frame once. The math was too hard for me so I decided I would need to change my assumptions.
Thy was pretty much how I did my undergrad in ChemE for all of the hairy second order differential terms in subjects like fluid dynamics: just assume something that makes them go to zero.

The same way I assume The Top Is In and will go to zero.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4502 on: May 15, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »

Just look at the chart upside down

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4503 on: May 16, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »

So it's going to go to negative zero?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4504 on: May 16, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »

At least. Probably more.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4505 on: May 16, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »

At least. Probably more.

zero negative squared??? woot!!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4506 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
One of my co-workers today mentioned that the Andromeda galaxy is actually going to collide with our own, almost certainly obliterating our solar system and everything in it in about 4,500,000,000 years. We are all doomed! #galactictopisin

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4507 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
One of my co-workers today mentioned that the Andromeda galaxy is actually going to collide with our own, almost certainly obliterating our solar system and everything in it in about 4,500,000,000 years. We are all doomed! #galactictopisin

I heard that it will collide and the galaxies will merge together. There's enough space in between the stars that individual collisions are unlikely, but different gravitational forces will mix things up for another 3 billion years. Our solar system and planet will be ok, but our star charts will be out of date. Here's a simulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4disyKG7XtU

Another video here
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2014/03/24/scientists-predict-our-galaxys-death/

Also top is in

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4508 on: May 16, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »
I am officially calling it. Top will be in sometime between now and 4.5 billion years from now when the two galaxies collide.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4509 on: May 16, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
I am officially calling it. Top will be in sometime between now and 4.5 billion years from now when the two galaxies collide.

I thought mergers and acquisitions were generally good for stockholders.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4510 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »

You are very optimistic. The sun boil the oceans in ~800 million years.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4511 on: May 16, 2019, 03:38:53 PM »

You are very optimistic. The sun boil the oceans in ~800 million years.

Sounds like a great source of renewable energy. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #4512 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
The economy will explode after all that pesky water is out of the way. Top is in starting in 800,000,001 years.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4513 on: May 16, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
I'm holding out for the heat death of the universe, when I predict the entropy will be in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4514 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:50 AM »
I'm calling peak Game of Thrones in two days.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4515 on: May 17, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »

Good for stockholders maybe, not so good for competition.  What are we going to do when's there's only a handful of really big and powerful galaxies that contain everything?  Galactic Monopoly Is In. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4516 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »

Good for stockholders maybe, not so good for competition.  What are we going to do when's there's only a handful of really big and powerful galaxies that contain everything?  Galactic Monopoly Is In.

There are 100 billion galaxies so I think there will be plenty of competition.  If you don't like the newer bigger Milky Dromeda Galaxy you can stop by another.  There are even a few boutique galaxies within an easy 100,000 light year drive. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4517 on: May 17, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
So maybe posting here in this cohort will make it more official, I must keep my word and all that.

Yep -- Give us a date.  We'll put you on the list @tooqk4u22 and support and cheer you to the finish line.

I read some of your other posts, and it sounds like you know you're there financially.  You're posting here now, so it sounds like you want to FIRE.  So go ahead and take the first step -- name a date.  You can do it.

ETA -- batsignal out to @markbike528CBX -- the best anti-OMY coach around.  :)

I am tired of the BS, I am tired of the increasing bureaucracy, I am tired of sitting in an office, I am tired of being out of shape, I am just tired, and mostly I am just tired of being tired with everything.   F'ck it, I am out.  OMY be damned or in any event it will be later in life if it does happen.   I am going to throw caution to the wind and irresponsible F'ck up our lives.

This is a fair warning to everyone on this forum - dump your stocks today bc I am giving notice on Monday.   And sure as shootin' the market will likely crash moments after I do it to f'ck with me.   

This is your final warning GET OUT NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!!

Dire warning from @tooqk4u22.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4518 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
For some reason, my wife fired up youtube and we were waitching the "So Long, and thanks for all the fish" sequence from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Perhaps the dolphins are trying to get out before the sun boiling thing really starts up.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4519 on: May 29, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
Even Thorstach isn't commenting, Top must really be in!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4520 on: May 29, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Even Thorstach isn't commenting, Top must really be in!

I maxed out my Roth for 2019 at the beginning of the month. I should have informed the rest of you that doing so meant that top was in. Get out now while you still can.

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #4521 on: May 29, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
Guys, it's serious this time: "The S&P 500 Has Formed a Rare and Ominous Triple Top"

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/the-s-p-500-has-formed-a-rare-and-ominous-triple-top-14973862

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4522 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
”...the apparent triple top isn't in...”

Guy doesn’t know what he is talking about

”The bottom line? The market's apparent triple top is one of the preconditions for a possible serious market drop. But it in and of itself won't be the cause of it, and it might prove to be little more than a way station on the market's path to much higher levels.”

True wisdom...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:32:19 PM by Steeze »

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4523 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »
Guys, it's serious this time: "The S&P 500 Has Formed a Rare and Ominous Triple Top"

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/the-s-p-500-has-formed-a-rare-and-ominous-triple-top-14973862

We should start a separate thread for the nonsense Google spits out when you search S&P 500. They always have some amusing headlines below the price graph :D

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4524 on: May 29, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
I think it might be real this time. CNBC won't even name the ominous pattern, afraid of invoking the Dark Lord's attention

Scary pattern forming in stock chart may be sign of another move lower
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/29/scary-pattern-forming-in-stock-chart-may-be-sign-of-another-move-lower.html

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4525 on: May 29, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
I think it might be real this time. CNBC won't even name the ominous pattern, afraid of invoking the Dark Lord's attention

"Valdermot" Top is in!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #4526 on: May 30, 2019, 09:33:48 PM »

We should start a separate thread for the nonsense Google spits out when you search S&P 500. They always have some amusing headlines below the price graph :D

It’s like they needed to get a certain word count for the article so they threw some gobblygook technobabble into the article which may or may not point to any future market moves or lack thereof.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4527 on: May 31, 2019, 03:53:54 AM »

It’s like they needed to get a certain word count for the article so they threw some gobblygook technobabble into the article which may or may not point to any future market moves or lack thereof.

Agreed. Most of those articles are just meaningless jargon that you can’t really act on.

Just work on your knife catching skills in the meantime :D

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4528 on: May 31, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/29/scary-pattern-forming-in-stock-chart-may-be-sign-of-another-move-lower.html

Cracks me up how muted the numbers can be compared to the headline words....... this is "scary" but yet "downside risk is 2650".... I guess "o my god, the market may drop 4%!" wouldnt have got it in the paper....

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4529 on: May 31, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »

“The so-called head and shoulders pattern formed when the S&P 500 broke support at 2,800, and from there, analysts said it could lose another 5.4%.”

This has me humming “head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes!”

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4530 on: May 31, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »

“The so-called head and shoulders pattern formed when the S&P 500 broke support at 2,800, and from there, analysts said it could lose another 5.4%.”

This has me humming “head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes!”

It just makes me think that the market is going to fall like dandruff. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4531 on: June 11, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
Confession time. I was almost a successful market timer, missed by about an hour.

So, last week I looked at TSLA due to some news clip after the market had closed. Closing price under $179. I said to myself: "Self, that's a remarkably low price for the potential that company has" - and I placed a limit order for $179 with approximately 2% of my investments.  It hasn't been that low again, never triggered my order.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4532 on: June 11, 2019, 12:46:57 PM »
Top was yesterday. After the previous top about a month ago.

We're all doomed I tell you!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4533 on: June 11, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »
Come on, dude. The top will come sometime in 2020 when I pull the trigger on employment and/or when we finally reach Our Number.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4534 on: June 12, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »
It sounds like we need to figure out who the single most unlucky user is on the forum, and then figure out their FIRE date.  That will tell us about the timing of the top.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4535 on: June 12, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »
It sounds like we need to figure out who the single most unlucky user is on the forum, and then figure out their FIRE date.  That will tell us about the timing of the top.

I've never won a lottery so that must be me!

Never bought a lottery ticket either though....

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4536 on: June 12, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »

I've never won a lottery so that must be me!

Never bought a lottery ticket either though....

Well I buy a lottery ticket maybe once a year-ish when I'm in a state that sells them.  Since I play and still haven't won, I think I'm less lucky than you. 

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4537 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »

top was 18 months ago:

"Over the past eighteen months, the market has been absolutely flooded with money. In 2018, U.S. companies poured well over $1.1 trillion into buying back their own stock. In 2019, they're doing the same thing, but at an even faster pace. Central bankers around the world have managed, intervened, and blasted a firehose of cash any time the market dared descend a tenth of a percent. And a hapless public has, of course, been gobbling up everything from Pinterest to Beyond Meat.

And with all these trillions and trillions of dollars that have been hurled at the market, what has it done over the past 18 months? That's easy to answer.

Dick.

Allow me to share these major indexes in a percentage format. Kindly note that, in spite of all the wild ups and downs, and net change over these timespans have been absolutely zilch. Zero. Nothing.

Of course, in a truly organic market, God knows how much lower we would be. 30%? 50%? More? We'll never know. But in this sickeningly-contrived faux equity space that has been created for our amusement, cast your eyes upon what has, over 18 months, been an abject waste of time and energy." (good thing for the majority here that its not an organic market)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-12/road-nowhere

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4538 on: June 13, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »

top was 18 months ago:

"Over the past eighteen months, the market has been absolutely flooded with money. In 2018, U.S. companies poured well over $1.1 trillion into buying back their own stock. In 2019, they're doing the same thing, but at an even faster pace. Central bankers around the world have managed, intervened, and blasted a firehose of cash any time the market dared descend a tenth of a percent. And a hapless public has, of course, been gobbling up everything from Pinterest to Beyond Meat.

And with all these trillions and trillions of dollars that have been hurled at the market, what has it done over the past 18 months? That's easy to answer.

Dick.

Allow me to share these major indexes in a percentage format. Kindly note that, in spite of all the wild ups and downs, and net change over these timespans have been absolutely zilch. Zero. Nothing.

Of course, in a truly organic market, God knows how much lower we would be. 30%? 50%? More? We'll never know. But in this sickeningly-contrived faux equity space that has been created for our amusement, cast your eyes upon what has, over 18 months, been an abject waste of time and energy." (good thing for the majority here that its not an organic market)

How can people be so wrong, for so long and still cling to bad logic like that?  It's almost like they WANT the market to crash, for some reason.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4539 on: June 13, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

top was 18 months ago:

Dick.

Wow, don't invite this guy to a party.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4540 on: June 13, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
I actually do kinda want to start a thread about the recent hubbub around buybacks and whether either "there's no change in the underlying value, the market reacts rationally" or the sorts of sky-is-falling diatribes posted above capture the whole picture.

It is true that a buyback shouldn't change the market capitalization at all, in the same way that issuance of new stock shouldn't. But is enough of the market operating on that basis to ensure rationality?

Obviously, though, this thread is not the right space. The top is in. Long live the top.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4541 on: June 13, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
top was 18 months ago:

Dick.

This is pretty encouraging to me as an investor, actually. Thanks for sharing!

It means that companies are so profitable that they can spend 5% of the entire country GDP into buying back stock. And at the same time this horror story has happened the market has gone up 8% over the last 18 months, ignoring dividends. It's great for me as an investor.

Or wait... did the article not actually mean "18 months" and instead mean "Jan 19th, 2018" instead? Literally cherry picking a date that is not 18 months (17) which had a mini-peak and then use it for fear mongering as if the market not growing in 17 months is the end of the world? Purely for hysterics?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4542 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »
This thread is starting to get a little too serious. It sounds like thread top is in.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4543 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Purely for hysterics?

It's zerohedge.  Pure hysterics is all they do.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4544 on: June 13, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

And a hapless public has, of course, been gobbling up everything from Pinterest to Beyond Meat.

nom nom nom

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4545 on: June 14, 2019, 03:05:06 AM »
Purely for hysterics?

Yeah, in all seriousness, i've witnessed firsthand the effect Zerohedge's investment advice has had on peoples retirement accounts.  It's not pretty, but nothing compared to the effect their articles in general have on peoples overall sanity.  Internet-based doomer addiction is a real and dangerous thing, and Zerohedge is designed to exploit those who are vulnerable to it partly for the ad revenue, and party for the spreading of specific political ideology. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4546 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »

I heard that it will collide and the galaxies will merge together. There's enough space in between the stars that individual collisions are unlikely, but different gravitational forces will mix things up for another 3 billion years. Our solar system and planet will be ok, but our star charts will be out of date. Here's a simulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4disyKG7XtU

Another video here
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2014/03/24/scientists-predict-our-galaxys-death/

Also top is in

Right about the same time our Sun is scheduled to blow up, so maybe we'll take some of those invaders with us.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4547 on: June 14, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
Purely for hysterics?

Yeah, in all seriousness, i've witnessed firsthand the effect Zerohedge's investment advice has had on peoples retirement accounts.  It's not pretty, but nothing compared to the effect their articles in general have on peoples overall sanity.  Internet-based doomer addiction is a real and dangerous thing, and Zerohedge is designed to exploit those who are vulnerable to it partly for the ad revenue, and party for the spreading of specific political ideology.

The entire financial industry (especially the media side of it) desperately hopes you forgot what they said to you just a week ago.  For some strange reason most people oblige them.

top was 18 months ago:

Dick.

How can people be so wrong, for so long and still cling to bad logic like that?  It's almost like they WANT the market to crash, for some reason.

Three possibilities. 1) they have no idea what they're talking about, 2) good news doesn't sell clicks as well as bad news 3) the more you scare people, the better your chance of them hiring you to solve their problems.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:08:45 PM by Travis »

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #4548 on: June 18, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »
Now the top is in ;)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #4549 on: June 18, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »
Yesterday for the first time ever, ex-girlfriend asked questions about investing. Great questions! Resulting in a perfectly good one hour tutorial, complete with a partial runthrough of Vanguard's signup process. She has been saving, not easy for a single mom with low-ish income, especially if raised in a culture that abhors saving and supports community gift reciprocation instead; may be legitimately poised to invest.

The rumbling you hear in the distance is the stock market gods preparing to rain down financial thunder and lightning upon us. Top...is...IN.