Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139614 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Top is in
« Reply #3950 on: December 12, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
Then it will form the "knees and toes" pattern, and we can all return to Kindergarten.
The key is to spot the first knees and toes, so you can fully take advantage of the repeat.
It matters how quickly the pattern forms and whether you can move fast enough to catch it. When we sing “head shoulders knees and toes” (okay, it is really « tête épaules genoux et pieds ») with my 4 year-old at bedtime she often isn’t fast enough. I’ll be singing “knees and toes” while she is still touching her shoulders. She’ll need to wait until she is older before she can start accurately calling market tops.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3951 on: December 12, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
It matters how quickly the pattern forms and whether you can move fast enough to catch it. When we sing “head shoulders knees and toes” (okay, it is really « tête épaules genoux et pieds ») with my 4 year-old at bedtime she often isn’t fast enough. I’ll be singing “knees and toes” while she is still touching her shoulders. She’ll need to wait until she is older before she can start accurately calling market tops.

This sounds like classic market timing. I think it's probably time you sit your 4 year-old down for a very serious conversation.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3952 on: December 14, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
These are adjacent stories on CNBC right now:

LATEST NEWS
The S&P 500 could drop another 20% in 6 to 18 months, says Leuthold's CIO 4 hrs ago - CNBC.com
UBS predicts a S&P 500 rally next year that's 20% higher than current levels 7 hrs ago - CNBC.com

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3953 on: December 14, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

LATEST NEWS
The S&P 500 could drop another 20% in 6 to 18 months, says Leuthold's CIO 4 hrs ago - CNBC.com
UBS predicts a S&P 500 rally next year that's 20% higher than current levels 7 hrs ago - CNBC.com

20 - 20 = 0, therefore top is in.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3954 on: December 14, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Ah, it all makes sense now.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #3955 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:55 AM »
Then it will form the "knees and toes" pattern, and we can all return to Kindergarten.
The key is to spot the first knees and toes, so you can fully take advantage of the repeat.
It matters how quickly the pattern forms and whether you can move fast enough to catch it. When we sing “head shoulders knees and toes” (okay, it is really « tête épaules genoux et pieds orteils ») with my 4 year-old at bedtime she often isn’t fast enough. I’ll be singing “knees and toes” while she is still touching her shoulders. She’ll need to wait until she is older before she can start accurately calling market tops.

Corrigé

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3957 on: December 16, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3958 on: December 16, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
https://stockcharts.com/articles/chartwatchers/2018/12/want-to-know-the-difference-between-a-correction-and-a-bear-market.html

See, this is why I figure thorstach is not (an intentional) troll, reading articles on watching charts on stockcharts.com.  Why on earth would you want opinions on spotting corrections/bear markets from a site dedicated to chartist nonsense unless you've been genuinely trying to outsmart/time the market this whole time?  I'm not saying the market can't be outsmarted, it just hasn't been by you, and won't be by many here because this is safe and boring, but guaranteed to work MMM, not chartistbullshitgetrichquick.com.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3959 on: December 16, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »

LATEST NEWS

Proof that traders are starting to use quantum computing. Top is both in and out.

ILikeDividends

• Bristles

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3962 on: December 17, 2018, 05:25:13 AM »
Anyone else getting excited at the possibility of VTI for $100/share?

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3963 on: December 17, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
Anyone else getting excited at the possibility of VTI for $100/share?
I'm excited for $100/share but why stop there?  Let's shoot for a nice sale of $50/share

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3965 on: December 17, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »
You know what, it might very well be a bear market.  Better that it happen now than in my first few years of FIRE.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3966 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
You know what, it might very well be a bear market.  Better that it happen now than in my first few years of FIRE.

This is my first few years of FIRE. 

Good thing I have a substantial reserve.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3967 on: December 17, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

I retired in late August, right at the peak.  Do you think I should be worried?  So far, I'm not worried.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3968 on: December 17, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
He is just waiting for the audio book to come out so he can rake in that top earning money

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3969 on: December 17, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
Sol, you're doomed buddy.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3970 on: December 17, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
Sol, you're doomed buddy.

We're all doomed. 

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3971 on: December 17, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
Can't tell whether I should panic buy - just fully funded DW's Roth ... just sitting there in cash in Vangaurd, wanting to be used. IPS says buy!!! What if the shares are cheaper tomorrow !?!?! So stressful.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3972 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
Statistics say you should put it in, Thorstach says to wait till the bottom.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3973 on: December 17, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Can't tell whether I should panic buy - just fully funded DW's Roth ... just sitting there in cash in Vangaurd, wanting to be used. IPS says buy!!! What if the shares are cheaper tomorrow !?!?! So stressful.

Not stressful, just buy.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3974 on: December 17, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
Statistics say you should put it in, Thorstach says to wait till the bottom.

Thorstach communicates directly with the Top, his words should be heeded!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3975 on: December 17, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »

I retired in late August, right at the peak.  Do you think I should be worried?  So far, I'm not worried.

Let me know when go back to work so I can call the bottom

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3976 on: December 18, 2018, 08:43:11 AM »
Sounds like we need: Top Surgery

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/12/18/18141006/daniel-ortberg-essay-top-surgery

Is it serious, doc? Yeah, son. I’m afraid there’s nothing to do but schedule you for top surgery.

What parts of me will be affected, doc? The top.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3977 on: December 18, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »

My philosophy towards life is, "expect/plan for the worst possible outcome".  That way I am almost always happy that things worked out better than planned. 

Short Version: I like being happy so I plan for the worst.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3978 on: December 18, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »

My philosophy towards life is, "expect/plan for the worst possible outcome".  That way I am almost always happy that things worked out better than planned. 

[serious] It's good to make preparations against worst-case scenarios, but too much thinking in those terms is bad for your mental health [/serious]

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3979 on: December 18, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »

[serious] It's good to make preparations against worst-case scenarios, but too much thinking in those terms is bad for your mental health [/serious]

I don't stress over it.  I hate stress.  I just make very conservative plans and then relax because I can count on reality usually being better than expected.

What I don't understand is those people who always plan/hope for the best possible outcome.  They are almost always disappointed by the results.

Example: 

A) Budget at a 3% WR.  Then be happy because there is always extra for unexpected expenses/adventures.   or

B) Budget at a 6% WR and always be stressing because money is tight or the market is down.

I choose A because it is less stressful. 

goosefraba1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3980 on: December 18, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
If Trump is solely responsible for the market rise (as he has alluded multiple times), is he also solely responsible for the market drop? Or is that just consequential to the split congress?

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3981 on: December 18, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
If Trump is solely responsible for the market rise (as he has alluded multiple times), is he also solely responsible for the market drop? Or is that just consequential to the split congress?

It's probably more due to the Fed.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3982 on: December 18, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »

I don't stress over it.  I hate stress.  I just make very conservative plans and then relax because I can count on reality usually being better than expected.

What I don't understand is those people who always plan/hope for the best possible outcome.  They are almost always disappointed by the results.

Example: 

A) Budget at a 3% WR.  Then [work an additional 5 years and] be happy because there is always extra for unexpected expenses/adventures.   or

B) Budget at a 6% WR and always be stressing because money is tight or the market is down.

I would actually agree with your mindset of low expectations = no disappointment however I added an important point to your comparison.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3983 on: December 18, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »

It's probably more due to the Fed.

If only trump had the power to appoint a dove to the fed... oh well

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3984 on: December 18, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »

Example: 

A) Budget at a 3% WR.  Then [work an additional 5 years and] be happy because there is always extra for unexpected expenses/adventures.   or

I would actually agree with your mindset of low expectations = no disappointment however I added an important point to your comparison.
Agreed and understood.  That was a trade off I was willing to make.  I was not in a race to reach the RE portion of FIRE.  I set a target date, and under estimated our saving ability.  We hit the 4% FI well before our target RE date and just smiled.  I was lucky the Retirement Police didn't catch up with me though!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:03:20 PM by Threshkin »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3985 on: December 18, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
And more against market timing (from Morning Brew today. lesson to be learned?  Stick with index funds and stop trying to find the magic):

Good News/Bad News: Hedge Fund Edition
Let's start with the good news for hedge funds: They raised a record $28 billion for new launches in the first half of this year, according to Absolute Return.

Plus, hedge funds usually shine when markets turn volatile. Seems like 2018 would be a boom, then, given that the market has seen the most big intraday swings in a single year since 2011.

But here's the bad news: The $3.24 trillion industry just isn't making much money. In fact, hedge funds have fallen behind lower-cost passive investment products over the last decade.

The average hedge fund lost 2% through November of this year, compared to a 3.24% gain in the S&P 500.
Adding insult to injury, hedge funds suffered their worst monthly performance in three years in October, down 2.35% on average.
Bottom line: Volatility should have boosted hedge funds, but they're now on track for their worst year since 2011.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #3986 on: December 19, 2018, 07:33:23 AM »

Trump's an expert at the game "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose." So he's definitely responsible for all the good stuff, but anything bad is someone else's fault.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3987 on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
Bottom has fallen out!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3988 on: December 19, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
Looks like a September 2017 level.

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #3989 on: December 19, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
When people talk about stock market predictions, I always like to bring up a January 12, 2016 warning of RBS which was highly publicized in the media. The title was: Sell everything ahead of stock market crash! say RBS economists

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/12/sell-everything-ahead-of-stock-market-crash-say-rbs-economists

They predicted a "cataclysmic year" where stock markets could fall 20% and oil could slump to $16.

By the way, the Dow Jones Index was around 16,400 on that date. The year closed at 19,800. Where is it today, RBS? That's not to say, if the market had crashed, RBS would have had indeed any part in predicting it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:36:53 PM by Kalergie »

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3990 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3991 on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »
Your timing is perfect.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3992 on: December 20, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
That is an awesome website.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #3993 on: December 20, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
Interesting. Assuming that chart is correctly predicting a bear market or recession (About that assumption...), then it looks like the top was in a few months and >10% ago. Even without trying to predict the future we can tell that the "top is in" conclusion is wrong, or questionably useful at best.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3994 on: December 20, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »

Trunk top is in! SELL NOW!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3995 on: December 20, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
Drop is in.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3996 on: December 20, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
I have in good authority we're headed ...

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3997 on: December 20, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Down <20k by Jan 1 at this rate!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3998 on: December 20, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
Down <20k by Jan 1 at this rate!