Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 484191 times)

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #2250 on: February 09, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »
I'm at 80:20 (FIRED) but I think if we hit 20% down I might roll 25% of my bond holdings into VTSAX.. I think I could go as far as 90:10 (maybe if we hit 30% down) and be OK with that asset allocation.
I was thinking the same thing; I'm 80:20 as well. I think I'd move to 90:10 if we see a 20% drop, and I'd consider going all in on stocks under the right circumstances. When would you bring your AA back to 80:20? Would you wait for a full recovery to the all-time high?

Hrm... market timing is probably a bad idea even if you think a 20% drop is a great time to do it. I'm going to stick with my IPS and re-balance twice a year (next time is Feb 20th) and keep my rising equity glide-path going (from 75:25 stocks:bonds to 95:5 over 10 years, 2% per year).
Portfolio rebalancing is the same thing, this is just a heavy handed version. Stocks drop and suddenly your 80:20 is 75:25 or something like that. You rebalance to move some bond gains back over to stocks with the anticipation that stocks will outperform bonds at some point in the future. The same happens when stocks go up and you move money into bonds when your portfolio is suddenly 85:15. It's basically "over rebalancing" with the intention of catching the the ride up of the asset class you're moving money into. If one did this for every one of the major market cycles he would outperform the traditional rebalancer. It won't be a monumental difference in the long run but it's a sure thing as long as the market keeps going up long term.

Done properly portfolio rebalancing is NOT market timing. For starters, the timing of rebalancing should be pre-determined (a priori) and is typically either done at a given time interval (e.g. "quarterly") or based on asset percentages (e.g. "whenever any segment of my actual AA deviates more than 2% from my target AA"). Unlike market timing where you look at a single segment (usually equities) and decide to get in or get out (add or remove cash) rebalancing involves all your investments and their relationship to each other. "Over-rebalancing" isn't really rebalancing at all, as you are then ignoring your own AA in the hopes of (in your words) 'catching the ride up' - it's market timing (stupid) on top of normal rebalancing (smart).

I'm not convinced there's such a thing as 'over-rebalancing'.  Your goal is to keep the AA at roughly the same levels (that's why you decided on an AA) . . . hence why you rebalance at all.  Most people don't rebalance every day simply because it's a PITA,  but if you were to do so I don't see how that would be detrimental in any way.

I agree to an extent, but I do think you miss out on momentum in the market and some of the inherent protections of the approach. 

If your 80/20 target swings to 81/19 in a given day because stocks (the assumed 80 in this example) are on the start of a run, you would miss out on the compounding of that run for however long it lasts.  On the other side, you would be throwing money into a falling knife scenario and loosing the protection of the balanced approach.  If market drops 5% in a day so you take your bond monies and put them into stock monies, and it drops another 5% the next day, you are in a worse position than you would have otherwise been had you kept a normal schedule.

I say do what makes you happy/comfortable.  I am set up for quarterly rebalancing because that works for me.

This is why you set your rebalancing strategy a priori.  People basically use two methods, either periodically (based on time) or divergence from target AA (based on % drift). I think it would be foolish to set either of those too high ('weekly' or 'anytime my portfolio changes >0.5% from my AA) - for one thing it could trigger unnecessary fees for buying/selling as well as STCG taxes, not to mention being a PITA with little positive gain for it.

The broader point I was making was that "over-balancing" in the context being used wasn't about the frequency of rebalancing but the degree of correction, and that is market timing.  If you need to correct (increase) your equities portion by 5% to meet your target AA of 80/20 - you don't look at what the market is doing and say "gee, I'll just go to 85/15 because I think the market is going to keep falling.  That becomes market timing. 
You rebalance, you wait for your pre-described trigger to rebalance again.  You don't try to guess where the market will be months from now and set your AA accordingly.
The effect is the same. Rebalancing is shifting funds from the stronger asset class to the weaker one. Just because you've picked a set time to do it does not change the effect. There is no guessing involved. I'm not sure where you inferred that. Also, to clarify, I wasn't talking about changing an AA based on the degree of correction in the absence of rebalancing. I already rebalance periodically (every 6-12 months when I think about it). This is in addition to that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:52:37 AM by Mr. Green »

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2251 on: February 09, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
There is an endless debate over whether the rebalancing bonus is real or not.  I suspect it depends on what you do and how often you do it, and I further suspect it is relatively small (although that doesn't stop me from rebalancing!).  Obviously, target date funds rebalance every day.  So theoretically they should benefit from the rebalancing bonus writ large.

The opposite argument is that rebalancing misses out on momentum.  That may be true, but I have never understood "momentum," so I don't try to do it. 

To the extent I engage in market timing disguised as rebalancing, it's really just nibbling around the edges.  As in I will do a 1% or 2% move during a correction (like right now), but I won't go from say a 60/40 allocation to a 90/10.   

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2252 on: February 09, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS THORSTACH! With a 10% decline, officially a correction, you have successfully called your first top! You called the top on:
April 11, 12, 13, 26, 28
May 9, 11, 16, 17
June 27, 29
July 1, 24, 27
August 4, 8, 18, 22
September 5
October 23
December 1
February 2
You were right! You called the top correctly in just 22 tries! With performance like that you are nearly as good as a stopped clock's hour hand, and well deserving of this certificate of achievement.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

You also get this aspirational stopped clock!

Not even, really.  thorstach "called" it on Feb 2, and the actual top was on Jan 26.  It's a lot easier to "call" a top if you wait a week. 

There is an endless debate over whether the rebalancing bonus is real or not.  I suspect it depends on what you do and how often you do it, and I further suspect it is relatively small (although that doesn't stop me from rebalancing!).  Obviously, target date funds rebalance every day.  So theoretically they should benefit from the rebalancing bonus writ large.

The opposite argument is that rebalancing misses out on momentum.  That may be true, but I have never understood "momentum," so I don't try to do it. 

To the extent I engage in market timing disguised as rebalancing, it's really just nibbling around the edges.  As in I will do a 1% or 2% move during a correction (like right now), but I won't go from say a 60/40 allocation to a 90/10.   

Whether or not you think rebalancing to preset proportions is good math, I don't think it's really a huge difference.  The big thing to me is if it helps you psychologically to avoid something more rash, it's probably worth it. 

Stache-O-Lantern

• Stubble
« Reply #2253 on: February 09, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
The top of the market is in and has been in since before i started the thread. The top being the march 1st all time high which remains unbroken.

But will the market even fall all the way to the point Thorstache originally called the top?

On March 1st 2017, the SP500 closed at about 2396.  At the moment it's at about 2536.  Needs to fall about another 5.5% to get there.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2254 on: February 09, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS THORSTACH! With a 10% decline, officially a correction, you have successfully called your first top! You called the top on:
April 11, 12, 13, 26, 28
May 9, 11, 16, 17
June 27, 29
July 1, 24, 27
August 4, 8, 18, 22
September 5
October 23
December 1
February 2
You were right! You called the top correctly in just 22 tries! With performance like that you are nearly as good as a stopped clock's hour hand, and well deserving of this certificate of achievement.

You also get this aspirational stopped clock!

I've been laughing at this for 10 minutes.  It's perfect.  It's one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forumn.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2255 on: February 09, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
Jeez, way to beat a great joke to death. I bet yer a scream at parties. "Well, actually..."
Sorry, is this some traditional US joke I'm not aware of?  Person A uses a word without knowing it's meaning, person B tells them they're wrong. Person A say no they aren't by using another word they don't know the meaning of and then we all laugh?  I'll have to watch out for that one in future.

Itís kinda a meta joke- WTC is senile so he keeps forgetting what words mean

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2256 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
The top of the market is in and has been in since before i started the thread. The top being the march 1st all time high which remains unbroken.

But will the market even fall all the way to the point Thorstache originally called the top?

On March 1st 2017, the SP500 closed at about 2396.  At the moment it's at about 2536.  Needs to fall about another 5.5% to get there.

In fairness, he called "the top" more than a month later, so i don't think its fair to give him any credit if we get to March 1 level, its got to go below his call on April 11 levels before i start handing out sarcastic certificates of achievement :)

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #2257 on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:54 AM »
God bless this thread.

+1. Helps to keep a sense of humour amongst the turmoil.  Great stuff.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2258 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
The funny thing to me is, I don't even remember the 2016 correction of 13.3%.. I vaguely remember the almost 20% correction in 2011.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2259 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
The funny thing to me is, I don't even remember the 2016 correction of 13.3%.. I vaguely remember the almost 20% correction in 2011.

Only reason I remember is I got lucky with some market timing in 16 bc we were buying a house and I sold all my taxable in case or first house didn't sell in time and got lucky with dumping it back in at the bottom

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2260 on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »

Only reason I remember is I got lucky with some market timing in 16 bc we were buying a house and I sold all my taxable in case or first house didn't sell in time and got lucky with dumping it back in at the bottom

I'm reminded of the early 2016 correction by the only red numbers in my NW column (started tracking in late 2014). Unless there's a massive market rebound, they'll have some company when I update at the end of this month.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2261 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

I'm reminded of the early 2016 correction by the only red numbers in my NW column (started tracking in late 2014). Unless there's a massive market rebound, they'll have some company when I update at the end of this month.

I'm in the same boat! Started tracking NW in 2012 and I think my only month with a drop in NW was early 2016.

I won't be able to outsave my way out of this one =/

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2262 on: February 10, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
Bottom was in.  I missed it.

It's hard to make predictions,
especially about the Friday future.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: February 10, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Jeez, way to beat a great joke to death. I bet yer a scream at parties. "Well, actually..."
Sorry, is this some traditional US joke I'm not aware of?  Person A uses a word without knowing it's meaning, person B tells them they're wrong. Person A say no they aren't by using another word they don't know the meaning of and then we all laugh?  I'll have to watch out for that one in future.

Itís kinda a meta joke- WTC is senile so he keeps forgetting what words mean

Dragoncar, stop being such a dotard.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2264 on: February 10, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »

Some people don't really 'get' humor. After they post on here, they usually go sit at the train station and make YouTube videos of the locomotives.

PhilB

• Bristles
« Reply #2265 on: February 10, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »

Some people don't really 'get' humor. After they post on here, they usually go sit at the train station and make YouTube videos of the locomotives.
So I gather.  Maybe you should take a dictionary with you then you can brush up your vocabulary whilst waiting for the next train to film.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2266 on: February 10, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »

So I gather.  Maybe you should take a dictionary with you then you can brush up your vocabulary whilst waiting for the next train to film.

I didn't get humor, so I looked it up.  "the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech".  Now I get it.  HAHA fellow humasns

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2267 on: February 10, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »

I didn't get humor, so I looked it up.  "the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech".  Now I get it.  HAHA fellow humasns

LOL

Radagast

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2268 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
In fairness, he called "the top" more than a month later, so i don't think its fair to give him any credit if we get to March 1 level, its got to go below his call on April 11 levels before i start handing out sarcastic certificates of achievement :)
Did I come off as sarcastic?

Not even, really.  thorstach "called" it on Feb 2, and the actual top was on Jan 26.  It's a lot easier to "call" a top if you wait a week. 
It took him 22 tries to even do that, so I thought he deserved an award :) Besides I had been sitting in the idea for a while,

and it was hard to hold in. I was afraid I might not get another chance!

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #2269 on: February 10, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »
When I frequented Bogleheads more, I seem to remember the general consensus was that rebalancing too often could hurt you. A quick google search only turned up this
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rebalancing which has a cited source at the bottom linking to some research suggesting the optimal rebalancing strategy (tl;dr check often but have large deviation standards before triggering a rebalance)

Thank you.

Rebalancing has absolutely nothing to do with capturing gains. It is all about controlling risk.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2270 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »

Sorry, did I say sarcastic? I meant beautiful and heartfelt certificates of achievement. 

Also, may I suggest we all volunteer you to be in charge/host of a more formal awards ceremony when this thread reaches the Top is in One Year Anniversary?  I for one can't wait to see who wins the "Best supporting cat meme" Award and "Most Obsure Reference" Award among others.  A night of glamour, celebration and bacon worship.  Who's with me!

MrDelane

• Bristles
« Reply #2271 on: February 10, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
Agreed.
I'm glad to see this thread is back on track.

TOP IS IN!

Radagast

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2272 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
I for one can't wait to see who wins the "Best supporting cat meme" Award and "Most Obsure Reference" Award among others.  A night of glamour, celebration and bacon worship.  Who's with me!
I agree with that

Also, may I suggest we all volunteer you to be in charge/host of a more formal awards ceremony when this thread reaches the Top is in One Year Anniversary?
But not so sure about that. I am only sporadically funny :)

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2273 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
I for one can't wait to see who wins the "Best supporting cat meme" Award and "Most Obsure Reference" Award among others.  A night of glamour, celebration and bacon worship.  Who's with me!
I agree with that

Also, may I suggest we all volunteer you to be in charge/host of a more formal awards ceremony when this thread reaches the Top is in One Year Anniversary?
But not so sure about that. I am only sporadically funny :)

Perhaps we could get TheGrimSqueaker on board as host.  Someone call the planning committee!  (and the TOP)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2274 on: February 11, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »

Sorry, did I say sarcastic? I meant beautiful and heartfelt certificates of achievement. 

Also, may I suggest we all volunteer you to be in charge/host of a more formal awards ceremony when this thread reaches the Top is in One Year Anniversary?  I for one can't wait to see who wins the "Best supporting cat meme" Award and "Most Obsure Reference" Award among others.  A night of glamour, celebration and bacon worship.  Who's with me!

Wow, it hasn't even been a year?  I nominate myself for "most sexist pig"

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2275 on: February 11, 2018, 08:40:50 AM »

Wow, it hasn't even been a year?  I nominate myself for "most sexist pig dragon."

Fixed that for you.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2276 on: February 11, 2018, 10:14:04 AM »
http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2018/02/09/35-steps-to-a-market-bottom/

-1% Mock the permabears
-2% Meh
-3% Yawn
-4% Off the highs
-5% Pullback
-6% Healthy correction
-7% Buying opportunity
-8% Stay the course
-9% This too shall pass
-10% Correction territory
-11% Iím a long-term investor
-12% Stocks always come back
-13% Donít panic
-14% Draw lines on a chart
-15% Look for attractive valuations
-16% I knew this was coming
-17% Blame Cramer
-18% This sucks
-19% I should buy some downside protection
-20% Bear market
-21% I should have listened to my gut
-22% Buy when thereís blood in the streets
-23% I was early
-24% Is this the bottom?
-25% This sucks
-26% Uggggh
-27% I canít take this much longer
-28% I sold my stocks
-29% Iím never buying stocks again
-30% Good thing I sold
-31% I should buy gold
-32% And silver
-33% I donít even care anymore
-34% Glad I stopped looking
-35% Bottom

pretty accurate so far

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2277 on: February 11, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Or thorstachs version would be

-1% Call the top, cause the top is in
-2% Told you so
+/- 0% Double top. Double top is in
+1% False breakout. Top is still in
+2% New top is in
+3% Still the top
+4% Top is in now
+5% Top will be in soon
+6% Top is in again
+7% I mean now
+6% Told you so, Top is in
+7% Another double top, Top still in
+8% Top is in
+9% Silence
+10% Top is in
+11% .....
+12% .....
+13% .....
+14% .....
+15% Top is in
+16% False breakout
+17% .....
+18% .....
+19% Top is in
+20% .....
+21% Top is in
+22% .....
+23% Top is in
+24% .....
+25% .....
+26% .....
+27% Mother of all Tops is in

Stache-O-Lantern

• Stubble
« Reply #2278 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
I nominate JAYSLOL for best play-by-play announcer of the year.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2279 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
I nominate JAYSLOL for best play-by-play announcer of the year.

People said winning "best play-by-play announcer of the year" wasn't possible, well I guess I showed...

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2280 on: February 11, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
^^^Impressive!

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2281 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
Who's "Cramer?"

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2282 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
Who's "Cramer?"
Jim Cramer is the host of CNBC's "Mad Money".  He's known for be erratic and his show is filled with all sorts of wiz-bang noises.  He describes his investment style as "fast and furious trading".  At one point in each show he gives buy/sell recommendations to questions from listeners in spit-fire fashion (example - "Q: what do you think about this Chinese solar company XYZ? A: With so much sun falling on China I think it's a bright idea!!! Next question!")

...in other words, everything mustachian investors are not.

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2283 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
Aaaaah, I see.  I think I prefer "Kramer" from Seinfeld.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #2284 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
Who's "Cramer?"

He's a television personality loosely based on the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland, except the things he says make even less sense and they're stock-market themed.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2285 on: February 12, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Who's "Cramer?"

He's a television personality loosely based on the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland, except the things he says make even less sense and they're stock-market themed.

Lol. That's actually an accurate description.

aboatguy

• Stubble
« Reply #2286 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
Shiller and others are on TV talking about the" computers" impact on the market; I believe it this little dip was bacon induced.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2287 on: February 12, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
Probably the HFT algorithms - high fat tissue

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2288 on: February 12, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
Food porn, nice.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2289 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
Well we are back up to where the S&P500 was on Dec 11th.. Is this the end of the correction or a head fake before another leg down to -20%?

Which one do I want?*.. Hmm Good question.. a 20% pullback would have me changing my asset allocation more towards stocks so in time I would have more money. A continual rise would have me regaining my peak NW in a shorter time.

* We are FIRED and have way more than we need.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2290 on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »

"Y'all got any more of them corrections?"

Pretty much my reaction to all of this at the moment.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2291 on: February 12, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
I'm not sure if the stock dip was bacon induced, but the volitliity in my heart rate probably is. 

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2292 on: February 12, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
I'm not sure if the stock dip was bacon induced, but the volitliity in my heart rate probably is.

Mmm... bacon dip does sound delicious.  Please pass the chips. 

MrDelane

• Bristles
« Reply #2293 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2294 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:25 PM »
On the topic of dips, I ordered smoked bluefish dip this weekend, served on something similar to warm naan.....#hnnnggggggggggg

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2295 on: February 13, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »
Blue corn chips are delicious. So are blue corn tortillas. Chips top is in.

aboatguy

• Stubble
« Reply #2296 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »

The trend graphs between SPAM Musabi to Bacon just inverted for the first time this month .

Time to sell folks the SPAM Musabi, Bacon top is officailly in!

According to Moki, " ONO GRINDS, Bra! "     

maizeman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2297 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Blue corn tortillas huh? I am intrigued. Will have to try to track down either those or blue corn flour to give it a shot.

I mean *ahem* since in the coming afterscape from the total stock market collapse into which we have only just begun to slide tortillas, rice, and beans will all be unaffordable luxuries and all.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2298 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
Blue corn chips are delicious. So are blue corn tortillas. Chips top is in.

Naturally blue corn chips are blue because they are aflatoxin flavored.  Not recommended.

Now if you're just buying the artificially blue chips that are dyed to LOOK like the carcinogenic naturally blue chips, that's probably fine.  Unless they're dyed with any of the top three blue food dyes used in the US, all of which are also known carcinogens in lab animals.  They're banned in the EU, but Americans loooove their aflatoxin chips.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2299 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
[They're banned in the EU, but Americans loooove their aflatoxin chips.

And cheese.  Don't forget about cheese

"Y'all want cheese on that?" - every American taking an order ever

Top is still in btw, just in case there was any doubt