Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3132552 times)

aboatguy

• Bristles
Re: Top is in
« Reply #8600 on: November 13, 2021, 04:13:58 PM »
My point is that you can spend 4.5 years making apocalyptic predictions, or you can keep investing in index funds etc and end up making way more money: even if there's some kind of correction, you'd still end up way, wayyyy ahead of the sad perma-bears. :)

...but what do I know? I merely built a Graham-style cigar-butt portfolio in May 2020, tripled it within a year, and retired. I'm not sure I'm even allowed on this thread since my serotonin levels are likely far higher than the mean value around these here parts. :))))

I would actually be very interested in how you went about that.

But maybe in a more appropriate thread so it doesn't get in the way of the bouncing cats.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8601 on: November 13, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
I would actually be very interested in how you went about that.

But maybe in a more appropriate thread so it doesn't get in the way of the bouncing cats.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but the MMM-HOA committee is after me, even on this thread. :P The upside is that their clown shoes make it hard to run, so it's usually easy to get away. I figure if I start a whole new thread, it'll give them a beacon, and before you know it, there's an army of angry clowns all over the place.

The tl;dr version is to read Graham's The Intelligent Investor, everything Buffett ever wrote, and a few other things (I blogged about that - keyword "stock"), then identify some companies that are very safe but very discounted, and then make the hardest, craziest decision in your life by buying those stocks when they're bleeding out on the floor and everything is deep red. 'twas an emotional morning haha

I'm capable of holding two opposing ideas in my mind at the same time and still retaining the ability to function. I could never go all-in on individual stocks, but I think that a lot folks around these parts consider it acceptable to devote some space in your portfolio to such things, even if you call it "play money."

I'm familiar with Graham's "net net" approach, but I have no idea how to actually find such companies. Just read a bunch of SEC filings?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #8602 on: November 13, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »

Yes, lets stay true to the topic at hand.  Cigar butts, being the opposite of cigar tops, are clearly out of bounds.  Butt is out.  Top is in.
Today's  newest NFT is Buttcoin. Smoke em if you've got em.  The valuation us sure to take a cr@p with the top being in and all. But, all things considered, it is probably an auspicious time to invest in TP.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #8603 on: November 13, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »
NFTP?

LetsRetireYoung

• Stubble
  • Earn more. Spend less. Invest the rest. ;)
    • my Let's Retire Young blog
« Reply #8604 on: November 13, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
I'm familiar with Graham's "net net" approach, but I have no idea how to actually find such companies. Just read a bunch of SEC filings?
Nah, way easier. :) Find bulletproof companies with huge moats (like, say, XOM or BA, or travel stocks), do some DD on them to make sure they're not run by complete sociopaths and don't have toxic debt obligations, put them on some Yahoo Finance watchlist or some such, then do like a lizard and wait... If at any point in time the market falls like it did during the first half of 2020, and if those stocks go on sale, you just dust off your DD, confirm that they will not, in fact, go out of business, and then swoop in and buy them up. Hell, even Disney fell below $100 - that's just free money right there. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8605 on: November 14, 2021, 05:20:06 AM »
Hey now - just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after me. :P

Oh, nice to see you making friends here too ;)

"If everywhere you goes smells like shit, maybe it's time to check your shoes"

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8606 on: November 14, 2021, 05:30:33 AM »
Finally got those 100 posts to get that blog link in the signature - congrats!

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8607 on: November 14, 2021, 07:26:08 AM »

Yes, lets stay true to the topic at hand.  Cigar butts, being the opposite of cigar tops, are clearly out of bounds.  Butt is out.  Top is in.
Today's  newest NFT is Buttcoin. Smoke em if you've got em.  The valuation us sure to take a cr@p with the top being in and all. But, all things considered, it is probably an auspicious time to invest in TP.
It's a cute joke... but reality is a bit stranger.
https://www.coinlore.com/coin/buttcoin

Ranked #6175, so not significant.  But over 1,000 other crypto currencies are ranked lower... Too bad there's no market, or I'd pay $1 for 282 "buttcoins" just to make jokes about it.

p.s. I should have said "top is in because I bought into the Shaq SPAC"!  Missed my chance.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8608 on: November 14, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
LRY is just a blogger who needs to get to 100 posts to unlock "push my blog via the sig line" . Otherwise was on a path to get banned for spamming before the rules were pointed out.

ETA: Top is in on jackasses looking to drive traffic to their site being to lazy to get the joke.
LOLOLOLOL wow, and I thought I left behind the HOA folks when I turned my condo into a rental and moved to the opposite coast and a whole different country.

Can you show me which of my posts broke the "Don't spam" rule? Because every single one of them contributed to MMM by providing relevant content. Conversely, I can point out a ton of posts from the regulars that provide zero content at all.

And thanks for using 6th-grade insults.
"Jackass" is actually an endearing term in my world - sorry it doesn't translate apparently. But just look at your first X posts here - chock full of links to your blog. Without having first established any sort of reputation or even participation at all before you showed up.

ETA: inside your first 2 days - 2 DAYS - on this forum, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/say-hi-and-introduce-yourself/msg2925571/#msg2925571 https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/y'all-are-a-bunch-of-quitters-the-great-resignation/msg2925629/#msg2925629 https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/when-frugality-becomes-frupidity-)/msg2926183/#msg2926183

Top is in on rewriting history. Don't forget who specifically told you the rules - didn't know the 100 post rule, but it is posters like you who made that necessary.

ETA again: back on topic - no Highday Friday again, TOP IS IN
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:10:52 AM by dandarc »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8609 on: November 14, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
YAGE top is in!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8610 on: November 14, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
YAGE top is in!
Along with the top on "angry new user not actually reading the rules while claiming to know them better than the people who told you how to link to your blog within the rules" . . .

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8611 on: November 14, 2021, 11:49:02 AM »
YAGE top is in!
Along with the top on "angry new user not actually reading the rules while claiming to know them better than the people who told you how to link to your blog within the rules" . . .

What about angry old users that don't read the rules? Because the rules clearly state that if your blog post is relevant to another thread that is ongoing, feel free to add the link, but you complained about this post which seems like it would be well within the rules.

But then LRT complained about our precious memes as "spam" which they clearly aren't. I fear that both of you are arguing in bad faith at this point.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8612 on: November 14, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »
This bickering is really lowering the quality of the thread. We need more memes before it gets locked.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8613 on: November 14, 2021, 11:53:43 AM »
This bickering is really lowering the quality of the thread. We need more memes before it gets locked.

Where is @thorstach when you need him?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8614 on: November 14, 2021, 12:02:53 PM »

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8615 on: November 14, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »

I mean he already called the top, so his job is done. So maybe we just didn't know he called it long before we saw it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8616 on: November 14, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
I've asked the moderators to step in and do what they think needs to be done.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8617 on: November 14, 2021, 01:33:11 PM »
ETA: Top is in on complete posting fail - I had to edit because this was originally completely blank.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #8618 on: November 14, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »

They said Bubble on Bloomberg today.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #8619 on: November 14, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8620 on: November 14, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »

I mean he already called the top, so his job is done. So maybe we just didn't know he called it long before we saw it.

Just like the Messiah - spread the Good Word, then ascended into heaven and left us mere humans to squabble about What It All Means and What He Really Meant.

Keep the memes coming!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8621 on: November 14, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »
Is thorstache Jim Cramer?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8622 on: November 14, 2021, 02:46:50 PM »

Just like the Messiah - spread the Good Word, then ascended into heaven and left us mere humans to squabble about What It All Means and What He Really Meant.

Keep the memes coming!

Let us bicker about whether or not he will return

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8623 on: November 14, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »

Keep the memes coming!

I'm sure he's here, lurking, watching all of us sinners.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8624 on: November 14, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »

Keep the memes coming!

I'm sure he's here, lurking, watching all of us sinners.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8625 on: November 14, 2021, 06:27:43 PM »
Newbies bouncing from the thread after they realize the top is truly in...

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #8626 on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:39 PM »
Toppiest top is in

I'm certain Thorstache is watching and will return with more SAGE wisdom

However, here is some  to hold everyone over until  Thorstache returns

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:09:40 PM by aboatguy »

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #8627 on: November 14, 2021, 10:37:27 PM »
Seriously, though, I really do feel sorry for you. You sound like an unhappy individual who with so little happiness in your life that you get absolutely fixated on a random online person. I was in that situation many years ago, and it's a very deep hole to climb out of. It's hard to get out of that hole on your own, so... get a dog? Try to make more real-life friends? Seek therapy?

It'll be okay, friend. Just please try to get a life, okay? Aaaand with that, I'm done with this thread. Have fun totally not violating the spam rules with your GIFs. :)

Cheers, y'all.

Catfight Top is in.

There are cats at the top after all.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8628 on: November 14, 2021, 10:56:56 PM »
Cats fighting sometimes actually hurt each other. More like a goalie fight - looks kinda funny and no real risk to anyone.

And the top is conclusively in on goalie fights - this one's never gonna be out done:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:19:29 PM by dandarc »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8629 on: November 15, 2021, 07:55:30 AM »
I always felt that goalies would be better served to keep their helmets on during the fight.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8630 on: November 15, 2021, 08:18:19 AM »
But then how would they have an opportunity to bite?

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8631 on: November 15, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
I always felt that goalies would be better served to keep their helmets on during the fight.

I once saw a fight between two american football players where one of them took off their helmet and yelled at the other "COME AT ME!" The other didn't take his helmet off.

Guess who won.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #8632 on: November 15, 2021, 09:09:54 AM »

I once saw a fight between two american football players where one of them took off their helmet and yelled at the other "COME AT ME!" The other didn't take his helmet off.

Guess who won.

I'm guessing the one who took his helmet off won, but I also have terrible judgment and keep calling the top incorrectly.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8633 on: November 15, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »

Guess who won.

I'm guessing the one who took his helmet off won, but I also have terrible judgment and keep calling the top incorrectly.

The spectators won.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #8634 on: November 15, 2021, 06:22:12 PM »
It DOW, SP500 and NASDAQ closed down.  The markets will never be this high again....................

Unless they close up tomorrow or in the future

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8635 on: November 15, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »
S&P down 0.0011%. If it keeps up like this in a year only 99.7% of my portfolio will be left.. When will this horror end?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #8636 on: November 15, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
Sigh. I missed a couple of pages.

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition top.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8637 on: November 15, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »

Lol don't we all.

The spectators won.

The out of the box answer is 100% correct.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8638 on: November 16, 2021, 04:26:39 AM »
S&P down 0.0011%. If it keeps up like this in a year only 99.7% of my portfolio will be left.. When will this horror end?

My condolences on your portfolio. You must be down several dollars after yesterday’s bloodbath.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8639 on: November 16, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »

My condolences on your portfolio. You must be down several dollars after yesterday’s bloodbath.

Yes I am down literally multiple dollars. Exploring opportunities to convert what remains of my portfolio to canned beans and pirate's treasure.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8640 on: November 16, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »

Yes I am down literally multiple dollars. Exploring opportunities to convert what remains of my portfolio to canned beans and pirate's treasure.
I am giggling like a little kid at a whispered fart joke in class at multiple dollars

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8641 on: November 16, 2021, 07:47:32 AM »
Exploring opportunities to convert what remains of my portfolio to canned beans and pirate's treasure.

Good idea to go with lower risk investments than bitcoin.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8642 on: November 16, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »

Do you convert it to treasure first and then give it to a pirate for safe keeping? How exactly does this transaction happen? Do you need to know a pirate ahead of time?

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8643 on: November 16, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »

Do you convert it to treasure first and then give it to a pirate for safe keeping? How exactly does this transaction happen? Do you need to know a pirate ahead of time?
Apparently you can also trade derivatives on pirate treasure - I’m not sure about puts, but booty calls seem to be very popular these days.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8644 on: November 16, 2021, 10:38:04 AM »
Apparently you can also trade derivatives on pirate treasure - I’m not sure about puts, but booty calls seem to be very popular these days.

I'm cackling like a witch right now and sending this joke to all my finance-minded friends. You win the internet.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8645 on: November 16, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »

Does your brokerage support multi-peg leg options?

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #8646 on: November 16, 2021, 12:46:27 PM »

Offshore investing, that's where the smart money's at currently.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8647 on: November 16, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »

Pirate booty is going for about 0.72USD per single share.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8648 on: November 16, 2021, 01:15:34 PM »

Pirate booty is going for about 0.72USD per single share.

And where does that booty come from, you ask?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8649 on: November 16, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
45 minutes away from another top!