Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134459 times)

bthewalls

• Bristles
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6750 on: May 07, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
The S&P 500 is up 31% in just over a month! We are on our way to the biggest top ever! It is going to be amazing! Many people are saying they are excited.

Don’t they say the year before a market crash has epic growth?....did dalio say that....?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6751 on: May 08, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
The S&P 500 is up 31% in just over a month! We are on our way to the biggest top ever! It is going to be amazing! Many people are saying they are excited.

Don’t they say the year before a market crash has epic growth?....did dalio say that....?
Does that mean the top is just about in?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6752 on: May 08, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »

Just as it was in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019. 

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6753 on: May 08, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »

But this time it’s different!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6754 on: May 08, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »

But this time it’s different!

It definitely is.  thorstach told us so.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6755 on: May 08, 2020, 04:56:25 PM »
It was fun to watch everyone freak out even if it was short lived.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6756 on: May 08, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »
I'm not convinced the freaking out is over.  It plummeted and everyone freaked out because of the virus and shut downs and anticipated economic carnage. Then the market had the best month ever...while the virus continued to rage on killings tens of thousands more people, record unemployment, and continued economic shut downs.  It makes no fucking sense and current valuations seem disconnected from reality.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6757 on: May 08, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
I'm not convinced the freaking out is over.  It plummeted and everyone freaked out because of the virus and shut downs and anticipated economic carnage. Then the market had the best month ever...while the virus continued to rage on killings tens of thousands more people, record unemployment, and continued economic shut downs.  It makes no fucking sense and current valuations seem disconnected from reality.

I hear this opinion a lot, but that means, if many folks have this opinion, that it is likely to NOT go down. If everyone thinks it'll go down... it won't right?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6758 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »

I hear this opinion a lot, but that means, if many folks have this opinion, that it is likely to NOT go down. If everyone thinks it'll go down... it won't right?

My completely amateur thought is maybe the smart money expects inflation.  But that wouldn’t explain treasury yields

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6759 on: May 08, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »

My completely amateur thought is maybe the smart money expects inflation.  But that wouldn’t explain treasury yields
They can hardly be called yields anymore - hardly different than holding cash.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6760 on: May 08, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6761 on: May 08, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »

I had the same (completely amateur) thought. Who knows if it is right or not.

If that were true, the two arguments to explain the low yields of treasury bonds would be 1) enough money poring in from overseas with very different goals and investment theses or 2) The federal reserve did promise to buy "as much government-backed debt as needed to bolster the markets for housing and Treasury bonds" back in March. Maybe this is what that unlimited buying looks like?

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6762 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:54 PM »
or 2) The federal reserve did promise to buy "as much government-backed debt as needed to bolster the markets for housing and Treasury bonds" back in March. Maybe this is what that unlimited buying looks like?

Bingo.

The Fed is now the lender of last resort to all businesses, not just banks. Take the lessons and quickly deployable lending facilities from prior financial crises and remove the moral hazard associated with those loans, and you've got this justifiable approach to keeping the world economy from free falling into the abyss.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #6763 on: May 09, 2020, 07:39:24 AM »
I don't get the Dalio worship. he did ok over a decade ago but last year his main fund returned nothing and he has already admitted that the drop due to the corona virus caught them unawares.

guess the top was in....

oh yeah January he said "CASH IS TRASH"

Sure. let me worship him.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:41:17 AM by UnleashHell »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6764 on: May 09, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
I expect the market to massively tank, and am still unsure why that hasn't happened.  Of course, my approach either way is the same - keep investing at pre-determined asset allocations.  But it has really been reinforcing that I don't know what the fuck is going on.  In a rational world, the top would have been in a couple months ago.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6765 on: May 09, 2020, 08:13:42 AM »
totaly not rational. as soon as company brought some money back and didn't invest in themselves then the market should have been dropping. however it runs on the next big hit - not whats happening now. I can't predict that so I invest in mutual funds and a few individual stocks where I believe the underlying fundamentals can hold up regardless of the stock market thoughts.

Lets face it - the face of the stock market is large font headlines and Cramer - there really is little room for logic.

The top is in.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6766 on: May 09, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
I expect the market to massively tank, and am still unsure why that hasn't happened.  Of course, my approach either way is the same - keep investing at pre-determined asset allocations.  But it has really been reinforcing that I don't know what the fuck is going on.  In a rational world, the top would have been in a couple months ago.

This. I know an absurd amount of people that have been laid off.  Most of my family is out of work.  My employer has laid off almost 10% of our employees over the last 2 months, and we are doing better than most businesses I know.  All the economic forecasts look dire.  I'm experiencing broken/disrupted supply chains every time I go shopping.  Most of the world is still under some kind of lock down with tons of businesses not allowed to open their doors.  Coronavirus cases have gone from 100k to 4M, and the deaths from 4k to over 270k.  And somehow the market has gone up almost 30% in the same time period. It's so fucking bonkers.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6767 on: May 09, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »

This. I know an absurd amount of people that have been laid off.  Most of my family is out of work.  My employer has laid off almost 10% of our employees over the last 2 months, and we are doing better than most businesses I know.  All the economic forecasts look dire.  I'm experiencing broken/disrupted supply chains every time I go shopping.  Most of the world is still under some kind of lock down with tons of businesses not allowed to open their doors.  Coronavirus cases have gone from 100k to 4M, and the deaths from 4k to over 270k.  And somehow the market has gone up almost 30% in the same time period. It's so fucking bonkers.

This isn't a fair comparison. The SP500 is still down more than 10% off the pre-COVID peak.

What is unclear to me (and apparently everyone) is what the longer term economic damage will be.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6768 on: May 09, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
Right, so either the initial drop was completely irrational, or the last months partial recovery is completely irrational, or some combination.  I'm still not understanding the crazy growth though because things seem like they've gotten significantly worse in the last couple months. 

Either way the top is in. 

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6769 on: May 09, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »

This isn't a fair comparison. The SP500 is still down more than 10% off the pre-COVID peak.

What is unclear to me (and apparently everyone) is what the longer term economic damage will be.

What I observed is all is not as simple as it seems. You would think healthcare would be busy as hell, but no, as people not seeking healthcare there are huge layoffs in that sector. At the same time insurance industry is making boatload of money while not paying out much. Some restaurants are busier than ever with takeout while having lower costs of not having to maintain dining service.

It seems to me most companies on public stock markets are having impacts that are temporary. People and companies are  coming out of initial shock, they now know what to expect going forward and the markets are forward looking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:59:03 AM by achvfi »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6770 on: May 09, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
Right, so either the initial drop was completely irrational, or the last months partial recovery is completely irrational, or some combination.

I don't think this necessarily follows. The market cannot predict the outcome of future events before they happen.

One could make a rational case for the market to drop a lot on early news of COVID spreading in the USA and Europe when we didn't know how bad it was going to be. And another rational case for the market to move back up once new information came to light. Specifically:

1) The US healthcare system doesn't appear to be collapsing in the way many feared it would in the period where Italy was still experiencing exponential growth in daily deaths.

2) Congress passed a $2T stimulus package. A week before it passed I never would have guessed anything like that would ever get through McConnell's senate. But once it passed it decreased the risk of individual companies going bankrupt and increased the risk of significant future inflation.

So as I said, I could see the initial crash being rational with the information the market had at the time. And I could see an subsequent increase being rational with the two new pieces of information that later became available.

That said I never would have expected the market to be down only 10% from the peak in the situation we now find ourselves in. So I'm not arguing that it is rational. Just that isn't necessarily irrational.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6771 on: May 09, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »
What I observed is all is not as simple as it seems. You would think healthcare would be busy as hell, but no, as people not seeking healthcare there are huge layoffs in that sector. At the same time insurance industry is making boatload of money while not paying out much. Some restaurants are busier than ever with takeout while having lower costs of not having to maintain dining service.

It seems to me most companies on public stock markets are having impacts that are temporary. People and companies are  coming out of initial shock, they now know what to expect going forward and the markets are forward looking.

The irony of all this is that healthcare is massively suffering.

"Flatten the curve" to save healthcare might cause major issues for hospitals and healthcare because of postponing/cancelling so much elective procedures.

Our family/friends in the medical field are some of the most worried about their jobs.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6772 on: May 09, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »
The irony of all this is that healthcare is massively suffering.

"Flatten the curve" to save healthcare might cause major issues for hospitals and healthcare because of postponing/cancelling so much elective procedures.

Our family/friends in the medical field are some of the most worried about their jobs.

Indeed.  My neighbor is a nurse in a local hospital.  Their census about a week ago was around 100 patients when normally it averages 370.  This was due mostly to elective procedures being postponed, but also may have been caused somewhat by people rather trying to avoid hospitals, or fewer accidents due to less driving and less outdoor activity.  They were furloughing staff.

I'm sure our governor got an earful about this situation, and I haven't checked the latest guidelines but I bet elective surgeries are one of the first things to come back.  In a way, pausing elective surgeries in the first place may have been a bad idea if the backlog that builds up either causes additional pain and suffering among those waiting and/or it creates a situation where the hospital can't handle a second wave plus a bunch of deferred elective surgeries.  Oh well.

Oh, and top is in.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6773 on: May 09, 2020, 12:49:03 PM »

This seems so bizarre to me. I know one sonogram technician that was furloughed for a month or so (went back May 1) and an oil company employee whose hours were reduced. Aside from that, I don't know anyone who is not working.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6774 on: May 09, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »

This seems so bizarre to me. I know one sonogram technician that was furloughed for a month or so (went back May 1) and an oil company employee whose hours were reduced. Aside from that, I don't know anyone who is not working.

There's an illusion that the lockdown is a consistent set of policies across the country when the strength of the lockdown actually varies dramatically from one state to the next.

Note that frugalnacho's location is set to the Detroit metro area. Getting less press than NYC but Michigan is getting hit extraordinarily hard by the coronavirus (about one out of every 850 people in Wayne County has already died from the coronavirus). Likely as a result of that, the state is under one of the strictest lockdowns in the country.

Detroit proper (Madison Heights may be different) is also by far the least affluent of America's 20 biggest cities with a median household income of only $31k/year (next lowest is El Paso at $45k/year; national as a whole is $63k/year). Those jobs tend to be the kind it isn't possible to continue to perform remotely.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6775 on: May 09, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »

There's an illusion that the lockdown is a consistent set of policies across the country when the strength of the lockdown actually varies dramatically from one state to the next.

Note that frugalnacho's location is set to the Detroit metro area. Getting less press than NYC but Michigan is getting hit extraordinarily hard by the coronavirus (about one out of every 850 people in Wayne County has already died from the coronavirus). Likely as a result of that, the state is under one of the strictest lockdowns in the country.

Detroit proper (Madison Heights may be different) is also by far the least affluent of America's 20 biggest cities with a median household income of only $31k/year (next lowest is El Paso at $45k/year; national as a whole is $63k/year). Those jobs tend to be the kind it isn't possible to continue to perform remotely.

It’s almost like we are experiencing really unusual and unprecedented conditions that make it almost impossible to predict how markets will behave.

Unlike normal times when everyone knows that the market will march upward at a nice smooth rate every year with no surprises.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6776 on: May 09, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »
Unlike normal times when everyone knows that the market will march upward at a nice smooth rate every year with no surprises.

Normal times?

Top is in. Confirmed.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6777 on: May 10, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »

Hey @DadJokes here is some more quantitative data from a study that came out on Thursday.

In Michigan 27% of their labor force have filed for unemployment just since March 14th (so less than a month).

In Georgia, Hawaii, and Kentucky, one in three people have filed for unemployment.

States like Colorado and Texas are comparatively much better off with on the order of one out of every eight workers having filed for unemployment so far.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6778 on: May 10, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »
Yea Michigan is pretty bad, but every other state is also bad.  Even if your personal circle hasn't been hit hard by unemployment it's hard to deny the official numbers.  I also know several people that aren't included in those official stats because they've been unable to file thus far.

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #6779 on: May 10, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »
Is it not a no brainer that the ass is gonna fall out of the market really bad over the next 6 to 12 months? If so is it a bad idea to sell to cash now?

I mean, if several million are affected and it’s a big issue, what happens when it hits a billion?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6780 on: May 10, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
Is it not a no brainer that the ass is gonna fall out of the market really bad over the next 6 to 12 months? If so is it a bad idea to sell to cash now?

If you sell now and the market crashes a lot more in a few months you'll feel like a genius. If you sell now and inflation kicks into high gear you'll feel like an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:01:41 PM by maizeman »

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #6781 on: May 10, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »

If you sell now and the market crashes a lot more in a few months you'll feel like a genius. If you see now and inflation kicks into high gear you'll feel like an idiot.
[/quote]

Yeah your right...moment of panic going on!....reading a lot of Dalio and find it hard to totally disregard his warnings
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:57:13 PM by bthewalls »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6782 on: May 10, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
The smart money is selling equities and buying shipping containers of sardines. Inflation-proof and always in demand!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #6783 on: May 10, 2020, 06:14:49 PM »
Yep, figure the economy is taking a hit. But I also recently realized a nominal bear market is not the only way it can go...rapid inflation is another. The cash may go down in value instead of the stonks.

I have no idea which, so I'm sticking with my plan.

CASH TOP IS IN

Edit: In fact, I just canceled one limit order and reduced another to just enough to put me at my planned cash target:

I'm just watching to see if hit hits October 2019 or December 2019 levels, in each case I have a limit order to inject a little more cash into my cushion.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:17:22 PM by BigMoneyJim »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6784 on: May 11, 2020, 01:31:42 AM »
The smart money is selling equities and buying shipping containers of sardines. Inflation-proof and always in demand!

Seems like a lot of work.  I just invest in sardine ETFs.  Ticker: FSHH

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6785 on: May 11, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »

Sure it's easier to invest in paper fish assets. But do you really believe they'll have enough physical cans backing up those sardine ETFs when the FSHH hits the fan?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6786 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »

If you sell now and the market crashes a lot more in a few months you'll feel like a genius. If you see now and inflation kicks into high gear you'll feel like an idiot.

Yeah your right...moment of panic going on!....reading a lot of Dalio and find it hard to totally disregard his warnings
[/quote]

again - the same Dalio who said "Cash is trash" back in january and dumped into the stock market in Feb??

That guy?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6787 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »

again - the same Dalio who said "Cash is trash" back in january and dumped into the stock market in Feb??

That guy?
[/quote]

He's a Ray of sunshine and doom, simultaneously, defying the laws of physics.
Shit Making Experts.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6788 on: May 11, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »

Sure it's easier to invest in paper fish assets. But do you really believe they'll have enough physical cans backing up those sardine ETFs when the FSHH hits the fan?

Are the sardines already in cans? I would do more research before jumping into the sardine market. It could be a really stinky mistake if you get stuck taking physical delivery of un-refrigerated sardines. I know my neighbors might be unhappy.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6789 on: May 11, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »

Are the sardines already in cans? I would do more research before jumping into the sardine market. It could be a really stinky mistake if you get stuck taking physical delivery of un-refrigerated sardines. I know my neighbors might be unhappy.

That's why it's so important of staying on top of rolling your sardines over (to your neighbor's backyard).

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6790 on: May 11, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »

That guy?

Shit Making Experts.
[/quote]

GiVe Me ThE hEaDlInEzzzzzz

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #6791 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »

That's why it's so important of staying on top of rolling your sardines over (to your neighbor's backyard).

What's the market like for sardine oil though?  Asking for a friend.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6792 on: May 11, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »

There’s a strong fundamental case, but the prices are still low.  Remember, however, when you spill sardine oil it can only be removed using a solvent.  And we all know the market can remain irrational longer than your cleaner can remain solvent

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6793 on: May 11, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »

That guy?

Shit Making Experts.
[/quote]

That quote made the thing easier to find.   https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/ray-dalio-warns-cash-trash-warren-buffett-hoards-128-billion-2020-1-1028835077

Could we have some current Dalio proclamations (and links).  ie it would be nice to contrast side by side on my 40" monitors.

at least he admitted that he %^&*^ up.  (and lost 20% on stock holdings despite being a perma-bear).
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/head-of-worlds-largest-hedge-fund-says-his-firm-didnt-know-how-to-navigate-coronavirus-stock-selloff-and-should-have-cut-all-risk-but-failed-to-react-2020-03-15

but, but but..... how did he do this in light of 1.6 billion bearish option?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bridgewater-bets-big-on-market-drop-11574418601    "will fall by March"...  perfect timing.... how do you screw yourself when you have this  sort of thing going on?

Partial answer to own above question:  according to this https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrasternlicht/2020/04/08/ray-dalio-were-heading-into-a-great-depression/#1f4cfedd7c83
Bridgewater had 160 billion under management, 18 by Ray hisself, so 1.5billion is couch change.
This is not a recession; this is a breakdown. You’re seeing the same thing that happened in the 1930s.”   April 8th, SP500 since then up 8%

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6794 on: May 11, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »

There’s a strong fundamental case, but the prices are still low.  Remember, however, when you spill sardine oil it can only be removed using a solvent.  And we all know the market can remain irrational longer than your cleaner can remain solvent

Hmm, maybe I should hedge my sardine position with some simple green stocks.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6795 on: May 11, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
Sardines. (sniffs) Ah, the pungent smell of reality.

Top is in!!!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6796 on: May 12, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
Just make sure you wash that sardine oil off your boots before you get into the cage with your pet tiger.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6797 on: May 12, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
I’d never keep my pet tiger in a cage! That is cruel.

He loves wandering around the neighborhood, getting into trouble. I’ve got some hilarious stories about the things he’s done.

Edubb20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6798 on: May 12, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
"I'm never going to financially recover from this" -Joe Exotic

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6799 on: May 13, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
Just make sure you wash that sardine oil off your boots before you get into the cage with your pet tiger.
Here I was just worried about bear and bull markets. Is there also a tiger market that sneaks up and gets you when you're not looking? With this many animals it's like Bit Top is IN!