Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134521 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6700 on: April 09, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
The dead cat hit a flubber trampoline this time.

About what I'm thinking!

Very glad I put in a solid chunk of money on the 23rd, but I'll be (happily) astounded if we don't go freefalling back down at some point.

I hit the local bottom almost perfectly with some extra cash, pretty much by chance ... for my wife.  For me I missed a nice opportunity to TLH.  At the rate things are going I won’t even have any losses to harvest.  Sad

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6701 on: April 09, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
Turns out 16 million jobs lost in US = 11% of US working population = only 0.3% of total US incomes

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6702 on: April 09, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »
Turns out 16 million jobs lost in US = 11% of US working population = only 0.3% of total US incomes

Those damn 0.3%ers at it again.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6703 on: April 09, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »

Seems like those in the service industry are hit the hardest.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6704 on: April 09, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »
The dead cat hit a flubber trampoline this time.

About what I'm thinking!

Very glad I put in a solid chunk of money on the 23rd, but I'll be (happily) astounded if we don't go freefalling back down at some point.

I hit the local bottom almost perfectly with some extra cash, pretty much by chance ... for my wife.  For me I missed a nice opportunity to TLH.  At the rate things are going I won’t even have any losses to harvest.  Sad

I know! My next planned date for rebalancing/ transferring funds is july 1. I had thought about doing some fancy tlh plus transferring funds from a 457 to a Roth IRA. But at this rate that may not be an option by July.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6705 on: April 13, 2020, 06:57:22 AM »
The last recession was caused in large part by the implosion of the housing market, so the housing market being as it was is no surprise. This time we're not looking at a housing-related trigger, so I don't see why housing ought to be affected any more than usual during a recession. I'd be interested to know what that "usual" amount is though if any data exist. I haven't done any research on that yet myself.

Well people are social distancing.  It hasn't been fully internalized by some people, but this is the new norm for awhile.  Once it hits people, no one is going to allow strangers to walk through their house, and buyers aren't going to want to parade through a bunch of different strangers houses either.  Also no one is going to have jobs or money to be buying houses.  I've been brought into the fold somewhat at my current company, and it's pretty fucking grim.  The workers don't know it, but I'm pretty sure close to half of them are losing their jobs in the coming weeks/months no matter how this thing plays out, and I can't imagine this is the only company facing a crunch.  This is going to have long lasting repercussions that affect the economy and every person in it.  Much like the great financial recession there is going to be a domino effect that reaches every aspect of the economy.

I've been relentlessly optimistic about this.  Initially thinking this was no big deal and less of a concern than the flu, and that this entire thing would blow over.  Swine flu, SARS, etc, never affected my life in the slightest.  If it wasn't for media hype I wouldn't even have been aware of those diseases.  I thought this was going to be the same deal.  Much ado about nothing, some people get sick, some people will die, but it would be paltry in comparison to things like the regular flu, car accidents, and people just dying from old age.  And life would move on, we'd all be laughing it up with our stock winnings in 3 months.  I no longer think that's the case.  Shit is getting very real, very fast. 

Being completely unironic: Fear is back.

As of yesterday, the worldwide death count is 7,100. So I'd say that panic has far surpassed the actual danger from the disease.

Thanks to this panic, fear is definitely back.

Median time from infection to death is 24 days. In uncontrolled countries, doubling time of the disease is 2-3 days. That's either 8 or 12 doublings. Death rate is 1% in well controlled situations (ie, enough hospital ventilators) up to 10% where the system has broken down.

So, with death counts - we're basically looking at infections which happened 24 days ago or more (well, remember it's "median"
 time, so half take longer)

Do the math. Take 7100 and double it 8 times. Then double it 12 times.

Fortunately, China, Singapore, SK, HK, etc locked it down early. Europe is late. USA is even later.

So, doubling 7,100 eight times comes out to a little over 1.8 million. If the death count isn't at least 1.8 million in 24 days, can we agree that the widespread panic is overblown?

Or am I misunderstanding the math?

You are misunderstanding it.  You have to double it 12 more times.  US death toll should be around 7.5 billion in a month.  People are literally rising from the grave just to die multiple times. 

(this thread is getting too serious)

It would be awesome to have both re-incarnation and killing powers, and just kill people only to resurrect them just so you can kill them again (until this gets boring).

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6706 on: April 13, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
This is it

Today is the day

It's all downhill from here fellas

(local) top is in

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6707 on: April 14, 2020, 12:19:05 PM »
This is it

Today is the day

(local) top is in

confirmed

not 5% growth means relative top was in

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6708 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
Looking as if we may close back in the late summer 2019 levels (S&P500).

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6709 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
This is it

Today is the day

(local) top is in

confirmed

not 5% growth means relative top was in

Breaking news, the "veteran Goldman Sachs analyst" who said we were nowhere near the bottom when we were 24 hours from the bottom, SUDDENLY REVERSES POSITION and says we're done crashing

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/goldman-sachs-suddenly-believes-the-coronavirus-wont-send-the-sp-500-crashing-another-25-154647763.html

ROTFLMAO

Well, he was totally wrong on his first call, so logically this means... Top is in

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #6710 on: April 14, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »
I put in three sell limit orders last week for a broad-market ETF. One at early 2019 levels, one at October 2019 levels, and one at December 2019 levels.

The early 2019 one triggered this morning. I can't decide if I should be more surprised or less if the October one triggers, too. (60-days to expire).

Top is in, right?

Right?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6711 on: April 14, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »
YES.  Top is definitely in.  This is a dead Siberian tiger bounce.  Don't fall for it.  Keep your positions fully in gold and ammo. 

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6712 on: April 14, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
YES.  Top is definitely in.  This is a dead Siberian tiger bounce.  Don't fall for it.  Keep your positions fully in gold and ammo.

Dead Siberian tiger fell out of orbit onto a small planetoid made entirely of long-poly chain elastomers

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6713 on: April 15, 2020, 06:38:46 AM »

Tiger Top is in!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6714 on: April 15, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
Tigers in space top everything.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6715 on: April 15, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Tigers in space top everything.

Tiger King Top Is In

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6716 on: April 15, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »

Tiger Top is in!

Space Tiger is AWESUM!!!!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6717 on: April 15, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »

Tiger Top is in!

Space Tiger is AWESUM!!!!

I think he would let you rub his belly for three seconds. Then he would bite you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6718 on: April 15, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
Fun fact: space cats are declawed prior to launch for their own protection.  They also can’t bite you without tasting the cold vacuum of space

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6719 on: April 15, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
Fun fact: space cats are declawed prior to launch for their own protection.  They also can’t bite you without tasting the cold vacuum of space

Pretty sure he would just kick you, and therefore win the belly rub fight

I also wonder how much mobility his tail has.  If full, that spacesuit is a textile miracle

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6720 on: April 22, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
In the last month the SP 500 has gone up 25%! We have had amazing market returns! At this rate we will have the greatest top of all time on August 21. SP 500 at 5600. I guarantee it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6721 on: April 22, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
In the last month the SP 500 has gone up 25%! We have had amazing market returns! At this rate we will have the greatest top of all time on August 21. SP 500 at 5600. I guarantee it.

I notice you didn't specify a year... Very clever prediction.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6722 on: April 22, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
Getting paid to take someone's crude top is in!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #6723 on: April 22, 2020, 09:02:47 PM »

I just realized what's been missing: Where are the MMM posts inquiring about oil storage and success stories about being paid to receive oil? How did this group miss that opportunity?!?!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6724 on: April 22, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »

I just realized what's been missing: Where are the MMM posts inquiring about oil storage and success stories about being paid to receive oil? How did this group miss that opportunity?!?!

50 gallon steel drum manufacturers - the latest hot stock!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6725 on: April 22, 2020, 10:34:25 PM »

You are thinking small time. You’ve got to take out a high interest loan to buy a bunch of Baker tanks and fill them with oil. We’ve got at least two threads going now by amateur commodities traders who are going to get rich.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6726 on: April 22, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »

You are thinking small time. You’ve got to take out a high interest loan to buy a bunch of Baker tanks and fill them with oil. We’ve got at least two threads going now by amateur commodities traders who are going to get rich.

A few months into our war in Iraq, all anybody would talk about is buying big bags of Iraqi currency because "it's only going to go up."  I wonder if there are still people out there who followed through and still have duffel bags full of Dinars and probably didn't know how to offload them?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6727 on: April 22, 2020, 10:47:34 PM »

I post a lot of persona finance stuff on FB, and a couple of days ago a friend asked me for advice about the oil futures market.

I told him I knew enough to know that I would lose my shirt since I didn't know what I was doing, and that a lot of people who do know what they are doing also lose their shirts in commodities futures markets.    It's betting, not investing, for 99.99999% of folks.   

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:52:44 AM by SwordGuy »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6728 on: April 23, 2020, 06:30:23 AM »

A few months into our war in Iraq, all anybody would talk about is buying big bags of Iraqi currency because "it's only going to go up."  I wonder if there are still people out there who followed through and still have duffel bags full of Dinars and probably didn't know how to offload them?

I'm just waiting for my luxury Iraqi vacation to spend them all. I'm going to live like a king.

I did buy a little Iraqi & Afghani currency when overseas, not as an investment, but because I like collecting various currencies.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6729 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »

I post a lot of persona finance stuff on FB, and a couple of days ago a friend asked me for advice about the oil futures market.

I told him I knew enough to know that I would lose my shirt since I didn't know what I was doing, and that a lot of people who do know what they are doing also lose their shirts in commodities futures markets.    It's betting, not investing, for 99.99999% of folks.

1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder : Look, I saw this great opportunity to corner the market in Egyptian cotton. How was I supposed to know there was going to be a glut? I've got a hundred warehouses stacked with the stuff all over the European theater. I can't get rid of a penny's worth. People eat cotton candy, don't they? Well this stuff is better - it's made out of real cotton.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6730 on: April 23, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
My friend that works at Exxon said they are building tanks as fast as possible on the scale of millions of barrels - will take weeks to construct, storage capacity 1-2 days. Not even the guys with the deepest pockets and specialized equipment can handle the glut.

At least BP hasn’t started dumping it into the Gulf of Mexico yet.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6731 on: April 24, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
Bottom is in people!

We now have cure for COVID-19 proposed by orange man Dr Trump himself. Its injecting disinfectant into human bodies and exposing body insides to powerful UV light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6LbtgVDMY

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6732 on: April 24, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »

1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder : Look, I saw this great opportunity to corner the market in Egyptian cotton. How was I supposed to know there was going to be a glut? I've got a hundred warehouses stacked with the stuff all over the European theater. I can't get rid of a penny's worth. People eat cotton candy, don't they? Well this stuff is better - it's made out of real cotton.

Milo Minderbinder. 

Brilliant guy.

Total sociopath.   Didn't care who (other than him) died as long as he made a profit.   

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6733 on: April 24, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
Bottom is in people!

We now have cure for COVID-19 proposed by orange man Dr Florida Man himself. Its injecting disinfectant into human bodies and exposing body insides to powerful UV light.

"Inject the disinfectant" is the new "drink the koolaid."

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6734 on: April 24, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

Wut??

You mean I'm NOT going to become a Texas oil tycoon???

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6735 on: April 24, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »
Milo Minderbinder. 

Brilliant guy.

Total sociopath.   Didn't care who (other than him) died as long as he made a profit.

Hmmm.  Kind of like most of our financial cartel. 

My fave character in Catch 22 was the old Italian man. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6736 on: April 24, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »
I missed the old Italian man - needed Google. Thank you for bringing him up.

His philosophy clearly applies to the top. Those who believe the inexorable march of progress will expire in a blaze of hubris. Today's market, so temptingly close to the top, beckons us to folly. Top is in!!!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6737 on: April 24, 2020, 05:26:17 PM »

His philosophy clearly applies to the top. Those who believe the inexorable march of progress will expire in a blaze of hubris. Today's market, so temptingly close to the top, beckons us to folly. Top is in!!!
Joseph Heller top is definitely in!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6738 on: April 24, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

Ex-PFC Wintergreen may just censor the top out of boredom.

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #6739 on: April 28, 2020, 08:03:52 AM »
"We think it is time to maybe open up one shop in twenty in some of the locked down countries"

All worldwide indexes go up another 1% or more, S&P passes the 2900 mark again.

If there was ever a time "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" this is it. Honestly, why is the S&P now at more or less the same as it was a year ago ? Crazy world we live in .... TOP IS IN !!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6740 on: April 28, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »

Not Major Major Major Major top is in?

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #6741 on: April 28, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
If there was ever a time "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" this is it. Honestly, why is the S&P now at more or less the same as it was a year ago ? Crazy world we live in .... TOP IS IN !!

Yep. In times like these, I love being a passive investor. I'm just watching to see if hit hits October 2019 or December 2019 levels, in each case I have a limit order to inject a little more cash into my cushion.

I can't imagine why it should hit either before the order expires, but I can't imagine why it would be where it is now, either. I've just learned to deal with an irrational world, for the most part.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6742 on: April 28, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »

Yep. In times like these, I love being a passive investor. I'm just watching to see if hit hits October 2019 or December 2019 levels, in each case I have a limit order to inject a little more cash into my cushion.

I can't imagine why it should hit either before the order expires, but I can't imagine why it would be where it is now, either. I've just learned to deal with an irrational world, for the most part.

lol?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6743 on: April 28, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »
"We think it is time to maybe open up one shop in twenty in some of the locked down countries"

The market was irrational back in February. This is full on, get out the straitjacket, bat**** crazy!

The COVID 19 Bat**** TOP is IN!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6744 on: April 28, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »

The market was irrational back in February. This is full on, get out the straitjacket, bat**** crazy!

Batsoup crazy?

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6745 on: April 29, 2020, 03:56:11 AM »

Batsoup [...]?
COVID-19 batsoup... the official soup of the Wuhan wet market!

COVID-19 batsoup top is in!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:58:39 AM by jeroly »

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6746 on: April 29, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »
The S&P 500 is up 31% in just over a month! We are on our way to the biggest top ever! It is going to be amazing! Many people are saying they are excited.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6747 on: April 29, 2020, 10:59:34 PM »
Batsoup - the cause of COVID-20.  Maybe throw some pork and a pangolin in the pot for a little extra flavor.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6748 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
Bottom is in people!

We now have cure for COVID-19 proposed by orange man Dr Trump himself. Its injecting disinfectant into human bodies and exposing body insides to powerful UV light.

Don't laugh.  I bought a bunch of AYTU March 2nd.  To the mooooon, no UVA top is in!  “People who refer to out-of-the-box see the box..... People who don't know the box even exists are the innovative thinkers.”  Lisa Goldenberg

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6749 on: May 01, 2020, 06:55:08 AM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!