Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134463 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6600 on: March 22, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
Another 5% down?  This sucks.

It's going to keep dropping until the quarantines end.

Government has to make a decision if this is worth it if it means the US economy ceases to exist, because that's the inevitable situation. The economy is service based, not "telework" based.

Not sure what would fall under "services", but recreational or non-essential services looks to be about 6%, everything else will still stick around.  If you think 6% is enough to make the economy "cease to exist", I'd love to hear your argument.

What percentage of those industries can work remotely or in a prolonged social distancing situation?

Manufacturing, retail, and entertainment are pretty much non-starters there and those together represent almost 30% of the chart you listed.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6601 on: March 22, 2020, 10:14:48 PM »
^ don't forget education. and, i suspect > 50% of govt. positions will be on temporary furlough. now you're over 40% of the pie chart.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6602 on: March 22, 2020, 10:35:08 PM »
We're oversimplifying that chart. No industry is completely shut down but all of them will be impacted to some extent.

Manufacturing is far from shut down. Retail includes grocery, gas stations, liquor stores, auto stores, online shopping, and other sellers still in operation. Digital entertainment is doing fine. Even some food service is operating at reduced capacity.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6603 on: March 22, 2020, 11:30:22 PM »
^ don't forget education. and, i suspect > 50% of govt. positions will be on temporary furlough. now you're over 40% of the pie chart.

In my area the teachers and all are still getting paid and are emailing out weekly lesson plans now.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #6604 on: March 23, 2020, 04:59:25 AM »

Government has to make a decision if this is worth it if it means the US economy ceases to exist, because that's the inevitable situation. The economy is service based, not "telework" based.

Not sure what would fall under "services", but recreational or non-essential services looks to be about 6%, everything else will still stick around.  If you think 6% is enough to make the economy "cease to exist", I'd love to hear your argument.

What percentage of those industries can work remotely or in a prolonged social distancing situation?

Manufacturing, retail, and entertainment are pretty much non-starters there and those together represent almost 30% of the chart you listed.

I took "ceases to exist" to mean "gone" and not "on hold for a few weeks".  There will still be demand for most of those things, and it will return as soon as restrictions are lifted.  We're not going to just stop making things, building things, or teaching our kids, the US economy isn't going to stop existing.  Yes, the other areas will be affected, but they won't go away. As for social distancing, it's not that difficult in manufacturing, depending on the product.  Most workstation are more than 6 feet apart, things can be sanitized, they can be run at reduced output with reduced employees to spread out further, respirators can be required PPE (already are for some jobs) etc.  Entertainment I was including in the 6%, the 4% and other services 2% as things that might reasonably expect to "cease to exist".  #topisin

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6605 on: March 23, 2020, 07:37:37 AM »
Well, on the bright side, we are finally starting to see some pessimism!  That's a good sign

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6606 on: March 23, 2020, 08:30:06 AM »
Bottom will not be in for a few quarters. Enjoy the ride, and wash your hands.

Hand soap top is in.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #6607 on: March 23, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »

Hand soap top is in.

Now this is getting greasy... you lye!

(actually, we just made a fresh batch of soap as the store has been out for weeks and in 2 more weeks we'd be running dry)

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6608 on: March 23, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »

all Dow gains since Trump was elected now gone. you all have lost around 30% and over 3 years of investing, how long to you think it will take for you all to gain it back ? very unlikely that will be less than 3 years.  your biggest limitation is time.

you all mocked me everytime I posted here. if you wish continue, go ahead; but for those that are now done with buy and hold, please learn moving averages or follow lance Roberts newsletter recommendations.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/no-one-saw-it-coming-should-you-worry-about-10-best-days

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6609 on: March 23, 2020, 10:33:27 AM »
All it took was a once in a century public health crisis - good call @Cabaka. How can I subscribe to your newsletter? I feel like you'll have even better advice than this Roberts guy.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6610 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
Are you saying that mocking Top is in?

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #6611 on: March 23, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
you all have lost around 30% and over 3 years of investing, how long to you think it will take for you all to gain it back ? very unlikely that will be less than 3 years.  your biggest limitation is time.

for those that are now done with buy and hold

What? I didn't start buy and hold 3 years ago; I started 29 years ago. And I've stuck with it. And I'm sticking with it.

The vast majority of my assets were bought below today's prices, and my cash cushion was liquidated well above today's prices and was based on my personal timeline and not the market levels.

I'm already ahead, very passively.

Sure, I looked at the market dip and my pile of cash and was tempted, but I resisted and am in it for the long run. I just retired but hope to have well more than 29 years in my investing career yet to come. I have no "dry powder", I have a cash cushion whose purpose is to give me two years to deal with a situation like this month, and it's doing its job, and I'm sticking with the plan.

I've been very puzzled about market levels for 3-4 years and was puzzled why Coronavirus didn't seem to impact the market in January or February. But I made no moves related to market timing; my moves were because I was ready to pull the trigger on retiring (edit: circa August-October 2019). Since the market from month to month or even year to year doesn't impact my plans, I'm very very happy with buy and hold.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:46:21 AM by BigMoneyJim »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6612 on: March 23, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
There is an unlimited supply of mockery.

Many forms of market strategy have been tried and will be tried in this world of volatility.  No one pretends that buy and hold is perfect or all wise.  Indeed it has been said that buy and hold is the worst form of market strategy except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Apologies to Churchill.

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #6613 on: March 23, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
is anyone finding it hard to buy at the moment, I am?

SP500 at 2000 sounds real, unless some rescue injection occurs, but I think its too early for that....I might wait another while!

guys does anyone foresee sp500 below 2000? is it possible?!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6614 on: March 23, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »

SP500 at 2000 sounds real, unless some rescue injection occurs, but I think its too early for that....I might wait another while!

Definitely possible.

Whenever I start getting stressed about my automatic purchases, I think back to the few times I've had a pile of money to invest the the market that wasn't just a monthly automatic deduction, and how stressed/bad I felt trying to do it and worrying I was picking the wrong date (and in fact the last time I did this was almost exactly at the peak of 2018 before the ~20% decline in stock prices).

Continuing to invest now means I don't have to stress/worry about trying to call the bottom and when to start investing again + when to move the cash that has piled up in the meantime into the market.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6615 on: March 23, 2020, 11:27:35 AM »
There is an unlimited supply of mockery.......snip....
To bad the law of supply and demand applies, otherwise we'd be RIIIICH!  :-)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6616 on: March 23, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »
Honestly it was harder for me to buy in when it was high, but I kept going.  I was thinking it was high back in 2015, though, and we're still not down that far yet.  Also, there's no reason to think the market would have crashed any time soon if we hadn't randomly had a once-in-a-century pandemic this year.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6617 on: March 23, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »
Did I miss something lately? Is it in yet? The Top, that is.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6618 on: March 23, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
Top is in!

It is all down hill from here!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6619 on: March 23, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
Honestly it was harder for me to buy in when it was high, but I kept going.  I was thinking it was high back in 2015, though, and we're still not down that far yet.  Also, there's no reason to think the market would have crashed any time soon if we hadn't randomly had a once-in-a-century pandemic this year.
Once-in-a-century+1 year.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6620 on: March 23, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »

Were you okay buying when the S&P was at 3,000 a couple months ago? Why is 2,250 (at the time of this post) suddenly too expensive?

Unless of course the Top really is in, and we'll never see the S&P at >3,000 again.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6621 on: March 23, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
There is an unlimited supply of mockery.

Many forms of market strategy have been tried and will be tried in this world of volatility.  No one pretends that buy and hold is perfect or all wise.  Indeed it has been said that buy and hold is the worst form of market strategy except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Apologies to Churchill.

If I go all in on red and win, then I go all in on red and win again, clearly red was the right answer.  I can clearly outsmart all the folks that couldn't figure out that black would lose. 

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6622 on: March 23, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
Y'know what guys... I think the top might be in.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6623 on: March 23, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
But will earnings be a reality check?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6624 on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »

Sure there was. If you timed the market using moving averages you would have seen this pandemic coming from a mile away.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6625 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
Only if XIV breaks down.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6626 on: March 23, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

Earnings are a hopelessly lagging indicator

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6627 on: March 23, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
All it took was a once in a century public health crisis - good call @Cabaka. How can I subscribe to your newsletter? I feel like you'll have even better advice than this Roberts guy.

Screw the Robert guy The Great Thorstach ™ told us in 2017 the Top was In.  All those who didn't listen are losers. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6628 on: March 23, 2020, 01:19:23 PM »

Sure there was. If you timed the market using moving averages you would have seen this pandemic coming from a mile away.

You unsophisticated louts, Bollinger Bands are the only true indicator.  3 out of 4 Thorstaches use them.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6629 on: March 23, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

So if the 50-day and 200-day moving averages converge on the day of the full moon, and the VIX hits exactly 14.9, it's a sign that some random guy in Asia is getting a dry cough, right?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6630 on: March 23, 2020, 01:33:36 PM »

Duuuude!  Are you sure you wanna go out on a limb and predict that?  Have you read the portents and omens?  Has Nostradamus weighed in?

I felt the chicken innards this morning and the read I got was "bumpy."

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6631 on: March 23, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »

Earnings are a hopelessly lagging indicator
... and the fear!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6632 on: March 23, 2020, 01:38:22 PM »

Possible?  Oh shucks, I'll call that "possible" and raise it to a "likely."  We're already at about 2200. 

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #6633 on: March 23, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »

Possible?  Oh shucks, I'll call that "possible" and raise it to a "likely."  We're already at about 2200.

thats just shocking...surely it wont go below it

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6634 on: March 23, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »

It likely will.  And don't call me Shirley.  :-)

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #6635 on: March 23, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »

I know that line...it was out of the airplane movie...1976?

It likely will.  And don't call me Shirley.  :-)

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #6636 on: March 23, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
Top is in!

It is all down hill from here!

When the markets upside down that direction sure looks up to me

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6637 on: March 23, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »

By the time quarantine ends it will have rebounded.  Do people not realize the market is forward looking?  The only thing that will drive it lower is is things get worse than expected.  Simply getting worse as expected is not enough

Nobody knows what these know unknowns will turn out to be.  Keep yer stick on the ice

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6638 on: March 23, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »

Hand soap top is in.

Now this is getting greasy... you lye!

That was a cheap clean shot.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #6639 on: March 23, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »
The good news is that working from home broke my excel formulas and now I don't have an easy way to check my stash.

Things are good right, Top is in and all is normal?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6640 on: March 23, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »

By the time quarantine ends it will have rebounded.  Do people not realize the market is forward looking?  The only thing that will drive it lower is is things get worse than expected.  Simply getting worse as expected is not enough

Nobody knows what these know unknowns will turn out to be.  Keep yer stick on the ice

So you're saying bottom is in?

I've also heard all investors are totally rational and forward looking. None of them react with fear/panic at all!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6641 on: March 23, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »

So you're saying bottom is in?

I've also heard all investors are totally rational and forward looking. None of them react with fear/panic at all!

No of course not.  Don't be ridiculous.  Top is in.  But let's not get crazy.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6642 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6643 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »

all Dow gains since Trump was elected now gone. you all have lost around 30% and over 3 years of investing, how long to you think it will take for you all to gain it back ? very unlikely that will be less than 3 years.  your biggest limitation is time.

you all mocked me everytime I posted here. if you wish continue, go ahead; but for those that are now done with buy and hold, please learn moving averages or follow lance Roberts newsletter recommendations.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/no-one-saw-it-coming-should-you-worry-about-10-best-days

When you declared the end of this market was near [two years ago] and it ended up falling for completely different reasons than you predicted.

And be honest with yourself. Any mockery made was a two-way street.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:59:38 PM by Travis »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6644 on: March 24, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
Can't believe I missed a red green reference yesterday @dragoncar

top is in on dandarc's paying attention. Truth be told, that one's been in for a long time.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6645 on: March 24, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
I wish I had extra cash to buy more stocks.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6646 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
I wish I had extra cash to buy more stocks.
If you have their cards, Chase and Bank of America - 0% 13-14 month balance transfers for a 3% fees. Both also will do a cash advance under these terms. Both have been offering this to me consistently for as long as I've had the cards, so I'm betting on being able to essentially roll these over to more 0% balance transfer offers in a year's time.

Granted, this is a way to scare up a few tens of thousands and it can take a little while. Be better if it could scale further, but every little bit.

Mr. Boh

• Stubble
« Reply #6647 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
There will be a dead cat bounce on Tuesday, it’s when my TSP contribution goes in so totally a dead cat bounce that day.  I predict at least 5%.

Wow good call! What's going to happen tomorrow?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6648 on: March 24, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
There will be a dead cat bounce on Tuesday, it’s when my TSP contribution goes in so totally a dead cat bounce that day.  I predict at least 5%.

This always happens!  It’s like they know

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6649 on: March 24, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »

This always happens!  It’s like they know

I only make calls every other Tuesday.  I have no clue about tomorrow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!