Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134527 times)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6500 on: March 16, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
Semi serious question: is the real estate top in? Seems like we are headed for major economic issues, and that combined with people's fear of letting strangers in their house to view it seems like a real estate crash will follow. Is this going to trickle down into every part of the economy? Are we having another "great recession"?

I think so. I think how far it goes down will depend a lot on how many old folks die. Sorry to be morbid but there you go.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6501 on: March 16, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Semi serious question: is the real estate top in? Seems like we are headed for major economic issues, and that combined with people's fear of letting strangers in their house to view it seems like a real estate crash will follow. Is this going to trickle down into every part of the economy? Are we having another "great recession"?

I think so. I think how far it goes down will depend a lot on how many old folks die. Sorry to be morbid but there you go.

Yes.  It will be offset somewhat by lower mortgage rates but there will be serious qualification issues for even the best buyers.  Banks will see that no paycheck is guaranteed right now

I suspect transaction volume will evaporate and those with cash might get a good deal if they can find a listing

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6502 on: March 16, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »

Yes.  It will be offset somewhat by lower mortgage rates but there will be serious qualification issues for even the best buyers.  Banks will see that no paycheck is guaranteed right now

I suspect transaction volume will evaporate and those with cash might get a good deal if they can find a listing

My wild speculation, completely unsupported by any facts, is that everyone who bought property for Airbnb could be in big trouble. I live in a place with really high prices and a lot of tourism. It seems like the people I hear about who took on big mortgages that they can only pay when they have high occupancy rates will be in trouble soon.

I’m really curious how that will play out and if it is a big enough portion of the housing market to have a real impact.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6503 on: March 16, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »

Good question.  Lots of leverage out there. It can be your best friend or worst enemy.  I suspect that a lot of stuff will come crashing down depending on how long the shutdowns last.

Lots of bargains coming I suppose. 

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6504 on: March 16, 2020, 05:53:10 PM »

Good question.  Lots of leverage out there. It can be your best friend or worst enemy.  I suspect that a lot of stuff will come crashing down depending on how long the shutdowns last.

Just applied for a HELOC just in case - I’m thinking 6-12 months from now the foreclosures will be ripening. For now, no one has even missed a payment yet.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6505 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »

Just applied for a HELOC just in case - I’m thinking 6-12 months from now the foreclosures will be ripening. For now, no one has even missed a payment yet.

It'll take awhile.  Last time it was a couple of years.  I do recall that during 2010, you could get properties for stupid low prices.  I'm highly qualified to evaluate stupid here as I didn't buy. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6506 on: March 16, 2020, 06:24:39 PM »
Fed rate 0%... seriously considering margin leverage now.  At least for monthly expenses as needed so I don't have to sell anything low.  Have to run the numbers on risk... I keep my leverage extremely low but still need to consider the worst case (a year of expenses is around 4% margin LVR)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:26:43 PM by dragoncar »

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #6507 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
The last recession was caused in large part by the implosion of the housing market, so the housing market being as it was is no surprise. This time we're not looking at a housing-related trigger, so I don't see why housing ought to be affected any more than usual during a recession. I'd be interested to know what that "usual" amount is though if any data exist. I haven't done any research on that yet myself.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6508 on: March 16, 2020, 10:36:34 PM »
Losing 2 years of gains in two weeks is nothing to laugh at. Fuck, I feel for my DAX invested FIL -34%  in FIVE YEARS. Stonks always go up, rite?

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6509 on: March 16, 2020, 10:59:34 PM »
Losing 2 years of gains in two weeks is nothing to laugh at. Fuck, I feel for my DAX invested FIL -34%  in FIVE YEARS. Stonks always go up, rite?

Yup, but that's only true for ~20 year intervals. So, 20 years from now it'll likely be higher.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6510 on: March 17, 2020, 07:11:25 AM »
The last recession was caused in large part by the implosion of the housing market, so the housing market being as it was is no surprise. This time we're not looking at a housing-related trigger, so I don't see why housing ought to be affected any more than usual during a recession. I'd be interested to know what that "usual" amount is though if any data exist. I haven't done any research on that yet myself.

Well people are social distancing.  It hasn't been fully internalized by some people, but this is the new norm for awhile.  Once it hits people, no one is going to allow strangers to walk through their house, and buyers aren't going to want to parade through a bunch of different strangers houses either.  Also no one is going to have jobs or money to be buying houses.  I've been brought into the fold somewhat at my current company, and it's pretty fucking grim.  The workers don't know it, but I'm pretty sure close to half of them are losing their jobs in the coming weeks/months no matter how this thing plays out, and I can't imagine this is the only company facing a crunch.  This is going to have long lasting repercussions that affect the economy and every person in it.  Much like the great financial recession there is going to be a domino effect that reaches every aspect of the economy.

I've been relentlessly optimistic about this.  Initially thinking this was no big deal and less of a concern than the flu, and that this entire thing would blow over.  Swine flu, SARS, etc, never affected my life in the slightest.  If it wasn't for media hype I wouldn't even have been aware of those diseases.  I thought this was going to be the same deal.  Much ado about nothing, some people get sick, some people will die, but it would be paltry in comparison to things like the regular flu, car accidents, and people just dying from old age.  And life would move on, we'd all be laughing it up with our stock winnings in 3 months.  I no longer think that's the case.  Shit is getting very real, very fast. 

Being completely unironic: Fear is back.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6511 on: March 17, 2020, 07:26:22 AM »

Well people are social distancing.  It hasn't been fully internalized by some people, but this is the new norm for awhile.  Once it hits people, no one is going to allow strangers to walk through their house, and buyers aren't going to want to parade through a bunch of different strangers houses either.  Also no one is going to have jobs or money to be buying houses.  I've been brought into the fold somewhat at my current company, and it's pretty fucking grim.  The workers don't know it, but I'm pretty sure close to half of them are losing their jobs in the coming weeks/months no matter how this thing plays out, and I can't imagine this is the only company facing a crunch.  This is going to have long lasting repercussions that affect the economy and every person in it.  Much like the great financial recession there is going to be a domino effect that reaches every aspect of the economy.

I've been relentlessly optimistic about this.  Initially thinking this was no big deal and less of a concern than the flu, and that this entire thing would blow over.  Swine flu, SARS, etc, never affected my life in the slightest.  If it wasn't for media hype I wouldn't even have been aware of those diseases.  I thought this was going to be the same deal.  Much ado about nothing, some people get sick, some people will die, but it would be paltry in comparison to things like the regular flu, car accidents, and people just dying from old age.  And life would move on, we'd all be laughing it up with our stock winnings in 3 months.  I no longer think that's the case.  Shit is getting very real, very fast. 

As of yesterday, the worldwide death count is 7,100. So I'd say that panic has far surpassed the actual danger from the disease.

Thanks to this panic, fear is definitely back.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6512 on: March 17, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »

As of yesterday, the worldwide death count is 7,100. So I'd say that panic has far surpassed the actual danger from the disease.

Median time from infection to death is 24 days. In uncontrolled countries, doubling time of the disease is 2-3 days. That's either 8 or 12 doublings. Death rate is 1% in well controlled situations (ie, enough hospital ventilators) up to 10% where the system has broken down.

So, with death counts - we're basically looking at infections which happened 24 days ago or more (well, remember it's "median"
 time, so half take longer)

Do the math. Take 7100 and double it 8 times. Then double it 12 times.

Fortunately, China, Singapore, SK, HK, etc locked it down early. Europe is late. USA is even later.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6513 on: March 17, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

Median time from infection to death is 24 days. In uncontrolled countries, doubling time of the disease is 2-3 days. That's either 8 or 12 doublings. Death rate is 1% in well controlled situations (ie, enough hospital ventilators) up to 10% where the system has broken down.

So, with death counts - we're basically looking at infections which happened 24 days ago or more (well, remember it's "median"

Fortunately, China, Singapore, SK, HK, etc locked it down early. Europe is late. USA is even later.

So, doubling 7,100 eight times comes out to a little over 1.8 million. If the death count isn't at least 1.8 million in 24 days, can we agree that the widespread panic is overblown?

Or am I misunderstanding the math?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6514 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »

So, doubling 7,100 eight times comes out to a little over 1.8 million. If the death count isn't at least 1.8 million in 24 days, can we agree that the widespread panic is overblown?

You are misunderstanding it.  You have to double it 12 more times.  US death toll should be around 7.5 billion in a month.  People are literally rising from the grave just to die multiple times. 

(this thread is getting too serious)

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #6515 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »

1,817,600 and 29,081,600

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6516 on: March 17, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »
So what you are saying is... all those FEMA death camp videos I saw on YouTube 10 years ago are true ?!?

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #6517 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

As of now, looks like this falls between Ebola & SARS in regards to infection spread.

And agreed, fear is currently back.  Guess we'll find out in the coming months if the level of broad fear is warranted.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:18:50 AM by Kem »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6518 on: March 17, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »
If the death count isn't at least 1.8 million in 24 days, can we agree that the widespread panic is overblown?

No that’s not how any of this works.  You are acting like a heart attack patient who complains that the ambulance response was overblown because he ended up surviving.  Implementing social distancing just one day early can reduce cases by 40% and likely reduce deaths more than that if we can avoid hospitals being overrun

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/15/21180342/coronavirus-covid-19-us-social-distancing

Have you even taken a look at the hospital situation in Italy? 

I surely hope I can come back in a year and see you claim the response was overblown.  That would mean it worked perfectly
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:50:34 AM by dragoncar »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6519 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
If the death count isn't at least 1.8 million in 24 days, can we agree that the widespread panic is overblown?

No that’s not how any of this works.  You are acting like a heart attack patient who complains that the ambulance response was overblown because he ended up surviving.  Implementing social distancing just one day early can reduce cases by 40% and likely reduce deaths more than that if we can avoid hospitals being overrun

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/15/21180342/coronavirus-covid-19-us-social-distancing

I surely hope I can come back in a year and see you claim the response was overblown.  That would mean it worked perfectly

I've looked at the death count in Italy, which appears to be about...2,000.

Which is roughly about the number that people who die daily in Italy under normal circumstances.

Should precautions be taken? Yes. Should we panic and force an economic collapse? Probably not. Yet here we are.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6520 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
Also how many will die indirectly of the panic and economic damage of closing everything?   Depression = more suicides, people will not be getting regular checkups to catch minor things before they become major

Longer term, will the economic damage slow down the medical technology that could save/extend life?  I know that a lot of biotech companies are dropping by a large amount in price, which for the smaller ones who are investigating new drugs, means they cannot get funding by issuing shares.  This might mean you don't get a cure for something similar to Hep C down the road.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6521 on: March 17, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »

I've looked at the death count in Italy, which appears to be about...2,000.

Which is roughly about the number that people who die daily in Italy under normal circumstances.

Should precautions be taken? Yes. Should we panic and force an economic collapse? Probably not. Yet here we are.

This is not an apt comparison.  I didn’t even ask about the death count in Italy I asked about access to emergency care.  Doctors are being forced to choose who lives and dies because there are not enough resources.  I certainly hope you volunteer to be the one who dies if you end up in a tent outside a crowded hospital after advocating against strict social distancing

But if you want to look only at deaths in Italy, there have been 2500 extra deaths confirmed due to cornovirus.  This doesn’t include those that were not tested but died to to covid.  This does not include the people who died without covid but could not get adequate medical care because the hospitals are overwhelmed.  This does not include the deaths that will continue into the future. 

We aren’t forcing any economic collapse.  These businesses would have to shut down anyway, and people dying is really terrible for the economy.  You all are acting like losing millions of people would not already going to tank the economy long term

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #6522 on: March 17, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »
So...

Top is in?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6523 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »
So...

Top is in?

Yep, the S&P 500 ALMOST went below the level it was at in thorstach's original post. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6524 on: March 17, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »
So...

Top is in?

Yep, the S&P 500 ALMOST went below the level it was at in thorstach's original post.

Thanks guys! These two posts are like a breath of fresh air!

#MakeTopIsInGreatAgain

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6525 on: March 17, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »

I'm dying to know what they are worth at expiration...

Right now they would have been worth about $800,000

#Ouch.  I guess you win some you lose some.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6526 on: March 17, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
So...

Top is in?

LMAO
Funniest thing I've read all day.  Thanks for the perspective

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6527 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
So...

Top is in?

Dont forget dividends, because who doesn't auto reinvest them?

Still up about 6% since then at least.

Until tomorrow. Probably. Maybe.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6528 on: March 18, 2020, 01:21:17 AM »
Has anyone been watching treasuries lately? The top may well be in in the bond bubble.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6529 on: March 18, 2020, 07:38:16 AM »
Has anyone been watching treasuries lately? The top may well be in in the bond bubble.
I did notice BND is falling a bit in spite of lower interest rates. I'm guessing "higher probability of defaults" warrants some caution on bonds too. Maybe even US Treasury bonds.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6530 on: March 18, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »

I'm dying to know what they are worth at expiration...

Right now they would have been worth about $800,000

#Ouch.  I guess you win some you lose some.

It is still a valuable lesson that gambling in the market really doesn't work.  I had the money to do this, I had the (guess, foresight) to see that a crash was likely to happen, all the way back at the beginning of Feb, and yet I still was able to convince myself that I was wrong and everyone else was right.  The thing is, I was wrong.  At the time, we did not know that the virus would not fizzle out.  If it had, the market could easily have stayed above 3300 or gone on to new highs.

We still don't know for a fact that this will end up being a down year.   Anyone selling/buying right now outside of their norm is still gambling.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6531 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
I did notice BND is falling a bit in spite of lower interest rates. I'm guessing "higher probability of defaults" warrants some caution on bonds too. Maybe even US Treasury bonds.

Yeah treasuries are moving unpredictably now.  Seems like people are expecting tight money even with fed actions

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6532 on: March 18, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
I am trying to catch the falling knife but it keeps slipping through my fingers.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6533 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
I am trying to catch the falling knife but it keeps slipping through my fingers.

I've always thought the falling knife analogy made it sound simple.

I think of it more like catching an epileptic porcupine rolling down a bumpy hill.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #6534 on: March 18, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »
The orange one is on TV.... here comes a nice dip.   

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6535 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »
It’s Wednesday and its Hammer Time!

The Dow is below 20k and SP below 2400 as I type this.

Hammer Time Top is In!

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6536 on: March 18, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »

Yeah treasuries are moving unpredictably now.  Seems like people are expecting tight money even with fed actions

Tighter Fed action??

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

No, perhaps buyers are just questioning the sanity of lending their money to an already bankrupt entity that has signaled that there is no upper limit on their printing of new currency for a guaranteed real loss over the next 10-30 yrs.

Can't say I blame them!

If bonds are now moving in line WITH risk assets then this really is uncharted territory for us all.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6537 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:25 AM »

I've always thought the falling knife analogy made it sound simple.

I think of it more like catching an epileptic porcupine rolling down a bumpy hill.

That made me have to stifle an audible chuckle.  It's good my coworkers already know I'm crazy. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6538 on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »
I think the S&P 500 is below the high on 4/11/2017 now. Thorstache nailed it! All hail the great thorstache!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6539 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:47 AM »

Shaken, not stirred.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6540 on: March 18, 2020, 11:39:11 AM »
I think the S&P 500 is below the high on 4/11/2017 now. Thorstache nailed it! All hail the great thorstache!

I know.  If it goes any further it will set us back all the way to 2016!!!  Were people even alive back then?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6541 on: March 18, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »

Including dividends?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6542 on: March 18, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »

Including dividends?
We're calling the top here. WTF do dividends have to do with that?

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6543 on: March 18, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »
Well, this is another blood bath.

On the slightly positive side, valuations have come down so quickly that you could almost say the US is now fairly priced.. the only time it has been cheaper than the current 22.8 CAPE since the mid-90s was in the teeth of the financial crisis. Not that valuations help one iota in the short term! Save Yourselveeesss!!!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6544 on: March 18, 2020, 12:15:28 PM »

On the slightly positive side, valuations have come down so quickly that you could almost say the US is now fairly priced.. the only time it has been cheaper than the current 22.8 CAPE since the mid-90s was in the teeth of the financial crisis. Not that valuations help one iota in the short term! Save Yourselveeesss!!!

You have very strange hygiene habits.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6545 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
Are you saying Vand is a vampire ?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6546 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »

Including dividends?
We're calling the top here. WTF do dividends have to do with that?

They're part of total return?

VTSAX had adjusted close price of 55.94 on 4-11-17 and 61.36 on 3-17-20.  So we need a 9.7% drop today to match the price on 4-11-17 if I'm doing that right.  S&P down 9.8% as I type, so yeah, top was in. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6547 on: March 18, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »

How does it look if you make reasonable forward earnings assumptions?

Definitely below where I was when I FIREd.  Will probably start financing my monthly expenditures with cheap margin.  Stocks would have to crash say another 70% before I get a margin call in the first year.  How likely is that?  Not sure I have anything I can sell high at this point even gold and bonds are trashed

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6548 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »
I panic bought 2 pairs of sweat pants today. #NYCLockdown

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6549 on: March 18, 2020, 02:10:19 PM »
I almost panic bought some JPM today.

What a day. Downright interesting.