Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134721 times)

Xlar

• Bristles
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6450 on: March 14, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
@vand

Yup. When I start buying in the next few weeks, UK is one of the markets I’ll be buying into*.  Equities seem to be correlated across countries so the old saw about the US catching cold and the rest of the world catching pneumonia has more than a little truth to it.  Thanks for the tip on the UK tax topic. I’ll check it out.

*(or more accurately more into. I was a fan of UK equities before the late unpleasantness.)

How do you plan to purchase FTSE? Are you a US based investor?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6451 on: March 14, 2020, 07:26:51 PM »
@vand

Yup. When I start buying in the next few weeks, UK is one of the markets I’ll be buying into*.  Equities seem to be correlated across countries so the old saw about the US catching cold and the rest of the world catching pneumonia has more than a little truth to it.  Thanks for the tip on the UK tax topic. I’ll check it out.

*(or more accurately more into. I was a fan of UK equities before the late unpleasantness.)

Yes, I'm American.  There are several ETFs that track UK equities.  ETFdb.com shows the ones that are available.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6452 on: March 15, 2020, 04:59:39 PM »
Looks like the futures market didn't much like the Fed action for ZIRP.

Futures Limit Down (top) is In!   

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6453 on: March 15, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
At this point DOW <10k is almost guaranteed!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6454 on: March 15, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »

Are you saying... Red Dow?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6455 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »

In fairness, after the accumulation of news over the last two days I would have expected the futures market to open limit down with or without the action by the Federal Reserve.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6456 on: March 15, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »

Are you saying... Red Dow?

What's this Dow you speak of... can you please speak in S&P?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6457 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

In fairness, after the accumulation of news over the last two days I would have expected the futures market to open limit down with or without the action by the Federal Reserve.

May well be.  Tomorrow is likely to be another interesting day. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6458 on: March 15, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
If by interesting you mean a volatile day leaving you scratching your head, than yes.

Just the NYC metro area is on pace for 100k infected in the next 2-3 weeks, though testing is almost non existent.

The ripple effect this will have in the months and years to come will be very interesting to see.

Thank fuck for minimalism :)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6459 on: March 15, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
If by interesting you mean a volatile day leaving you scratching your head, than yes.

Just the NYC metro area is on pace for 100k infected in the next 2-3 weeks, though testing is almost non existent.

The ripple effect this will have in the months and years to come will be very interesting to see.

Thank fuck for minimalism :)

You do realize that a lot of us are going to get this, right? 

Let's just hope things don't escalate to extremely interesting. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6460 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »

It looked like a panic move by the Fed: Emergency action late on a Sunday and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Enormous rate drop. Massive QE buying. Totally eliminating bank reserve requirements. And none of it could wait a few days for the regular meeting, despite already having a prior emergency rate cut and pumping $1.5 Trillion into the Repo market last week, with a promise of an additional $1Trillion every week going forward.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6461 on: March 15, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »

It looked like a panic move by the Fed: Emergency action late on a Sunday and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Enormous rate drop. Massive QE buying. Totally eliminating bank reserve requirements. And none of it could wait a few days for the regular meeting, despite already having a prior emergency rate cut and pumping $1.5 Trillion into the Repo market last week, with a promise of an additional $1Trillion every week going forward.

"They're panicked" was my first reaction.  Which leads you to wonder what we're NOT hearing.  I have to assume the Feds info is better than mine.   

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6462 on: March 15, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »

Completely agree.  These aggressive actions make me more concerned, not less.

"They're panicked" was my first reaction.  Which leads you to wonder what we're NOT hearing.  I have to assume the Feds info is better than mine.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6463 on: March 15, 2020, 08:26:14 PM »
Serious question: what's your source for that estimate?  I'd like to read more expert opinions on COVID-19 spread.

I don't understand the U.S. stock market's optimism in the face of expert views and data showing otherwise.  That's why I'm more pessimistic than the market - but experts are even more pessimistic than me.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6464 on: March 16, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
The Fed is out of rate cutting bullets already, and we haven't even officially entered recession yet.

Futures markets are limit down again.

European stocks are going to open -10%

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6465 on: March 16, 2020, 04:11:14 AM »
Serious question: what's your source for that estimate?  I'd like to read more expert opinions on COVID-19 spread.

I don't understand the U.S. stock market's optimism in the face of expert views and data showing otherwise.  That's why I'm more pessimistic than the market - but experts are even more pessimistic than me.

Opening limit down is market optimism?
I'm a novice, but Friday didn't seem like optimism, just seems like super high emotional volitility

Now if only I could figure out where the bottom is...

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #6466 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »
This will finally challenge the intestinal fortitude of the FIRE crowd.  Like I've said before and gotten scoffed at, until your net worth goes down by the amount equivalent to 20 years of annual burn, you have not been battle tested. 

I bet we here a bunch of stories from regular investors and bloggers who are 100% stocks talk about how they "took some off the table" at the highs just like the guru JL Collins.  Do as I say, not as I do.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6467 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
the March $325 puts
Those options are beginning to look like a winning lottery ticket that got destroyed in the wash machine...  bought for $3.30 and now worth $22.50+.  Multiply that gain by 100(shares per contract) x 100 (contracts)...  $190,000+

I'm dying to know what they are worth at expiration...

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6468 on: March 16, 2020, 08:03:08 AM »

I'm dying to know what they are worth at expiration...

Right now they would have been worth about $800,000

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6469 on: March 16, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Yeah wtf man.  I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down.  I know I can't time the market, and my IPS says dump the money in ASAP, so that's what I did, but it will bum me out a bit if that happens.  Kind of hoping for the market to crater again.

Ouch. Seems like that's exactly what happened.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6470 on: March 16, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah wtf man.  I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down.  I know I can't time the market, and my IPS says dump the money in ASAP, so that's what I did, but it will bum me out a bit if that happens.  Kind of hoping for the market to crater again.

Ouch. Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Yep.  Oh well, shit happens.  Luckily it was only a few thousand dollars and not my entire networth.  In the grand scheme of things it will likely still be a good investment, even if it appears sub optimal right now due to crazy volatility.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #6471 on: March 16, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
@vand

Yes, I'm American.  There are several ETFs that track UK equities.  ETFdb.com shows the ones that are available.

Gotcha, one more question, lol. How does that work with the currency exchange? Do you invest $ which gets converted to £, and then invested? Or do your $ get invested directly? Thank you for answering my off topic questions!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6472 on: March 16, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »
@vand

Gotcha, one more question, lol. How does that work with the currency exchange? Do you invest $ which gets converted to £, and then invested? Or do your $ get invested directly? Thank you for answering my off topic questions!

Sure. You’re buying a US based ETF in dollars. I assume they’re doing currency transactions at some point, but I don’t know the specifics. You’d have to look at the prospectus. You can get funds that are currency hedged for say Japan, and possibly UK, but I haven’t looked into those. In my view the currency variations are a feature, not a bug.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6473 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
This will finally challenge the intestinal fortitude of the FIRE crowd.  Like I've said before and gotten scoffed at, until your net worth goes down by the amount equivalent to 20 years of annual burn, you have not been battle tested. 

I bet we here a bunch of stories from regular investors and bloggers who are 100% stocks talk about how they "took some off the table" at the highs just like the guru JL Collins.  Do as I say, not as I do.

While it's true that people underestimate the power of psychology, for those who can stay calm it's just as good a time as any to be 100%, especially if you're not FIRE yet. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6474 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
Xlar, keep in mind that changes in value of other national stock indexes in the media are usually quoted in local currency.

In the last week the British Pound has dropped about 6.2% against the US dollar, so a US investor saw larger decreases in the value of their UK investments than did someone living in the UK and holding the exact same investments.*

*Of course this can just as easily work the other way. If the dollar goes down or the pound strengthens, a US investor holding UK stocks would do better than someone in the UK holding the same investments.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6475 on: March 16, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the nose.

I think this will show FIRE to be mostly a fad. Some folks will soldier on, others won’t.

I haven’t cashed in a dime of my equities so far. Then again, I never agreed with the “put most of it into VTSAX orthodoxy” anyway. So my exposure was pretty low compared to most.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6476 on: March 16, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

I think this will show FIRE to be mostly a fad. Some folks will soldier on, others won’t.

I haven’t cashed in a dime of my equities so far. Then again, I never agreed with the “put most of it into VTSAX orthodoxy” anyway. So my exposure was pretty low compared to most.

There are a surprising number of folks who stopped reading at the "Shockingly Simple Math" blog entry and jumped on the FIRE wagon.    They are in for a very rude surprise.

For those who've actually taken the time to learn this stuff, and who didn't leanFIRE on a shoe string, I suspect they'll stick with it.   Those who really learned the material and decided to roll the dice may well try again but with more of a safety margin.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6477 on: March 16, 2020, 10:19:06 AM »

I'm pretty much 80/20 stocks/bonds and within stocks I'm 70/30 US/World.  I'll say this, these drops in value are NOTHING compared to losing 4/5ths of my investments when my wife divorced me.  IME, the real FIRE killer is not these relatively minor stock swings.  No, the major killer is the financial raping that divorce brings.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6478 on: March 16, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »

I changed my mind on irreverence.  Now back to our regularly scheduled memes.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6479 on: March 16, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »

There are a surprising number of folks who stopped reading at the "Shockingly Simple Math" blog entry and jumped on the FIRE wagon.    They are in for a very rude surprise.

For those who've actually taken the time to learn this stuff, and who didn't leanFIRE on a shoe string, I suspect they'll stick with it.   Those who really learned the material and decided to roll the dice may well try again but with more of a safety margin.

As one who reached skinny FI in late Jan or early Feb I can attest that I am glad I didn't call it a wrap the next week... DW and I have the advantage of not hating our jobs though, DW actually enjoys hers. I've worked jobs I detested because I needed the money and in that position I might very well have RE as soon as I reached skinny FI.

Sometimes when we focus in on the math we forget that there are people are literally trading days of their life for money. In that position it might be worth the risk of skinny FIRE to have a chance to do something that earns less money but is actually meaningful.

I can't speak for the crowd, but I very much remain committed to being FI long before traditional retirement age and enjoying the flexibility that being most of the way there brings when things like this happen. I'm sure the general panic would be more terrifying without a stash than losing 6 figures plus from the stash!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6480 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »

Yay! we've reach top irreverence

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6481 on: March 16, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »

I think we've reached top seriousness.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6482 on: March 16, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »

I think we've reached top seriousness.

Sorry I clearly shouldn't post before i've had coffee. Top irreverence clearly came with THE TOP of all tops but we can fix that now.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6483 on: March 16, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »

Where did you come up with "20 years of annual burn" as the test?  I mean that as a serious question.  Since the rule of thumb is 25x annual spending as a common FIRE target, that seems to imply that it takes an 80% drop (from 25x to 5x, or, say, $1,000,000 down to $200,000) in order to be a real test.  Has anything remotely similar ever happened to U.S. markets?  Or international markets for that matter? 

Anyway, this (so far) is still quite a distance away from hitting any of my triggers, and I just FIREd about 11 months ago.  Far from testing my intestinal fortitude, this is still well within the part of the plan where I ignore it and continue on as usual.  With a further 20-25% drop from here I'll hit my first trigger, which is to cut some of my luxury spending. 

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6484 on: March 16, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
Holy crap. S&P closes down -12%. Dow -13%

I think that must be the 2nd worst day in history, only exceeded by 1987 Black Monday.

These are extraodinary days that we will remember for the rest of our lives.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:15:01 PM by vand »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6485 on: March 16, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
I'm down almost $150k total from the top.  Fear is definitely back, and my earning are a reality check.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6486 on: March 16, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »
I'm down almost $150k total from the top.  Fear is definitely back, and my earning are a reality check.

I lol'd. Down about double that - whoohoooooooooo. At least i get paid on friday so gonna junk that into the market and let the chips fall where they may!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6487 on: March 16, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »

If anything, this strengthens my resolve to FIRE. The pandemic makes me wish that I had the option to truly isolate myself and my family instead of doing the best I can while still having to show up at work everyday. I'm currently working as much overtime as my family can handle while analyzing my finances for any spare cash so I can invest as much as possible while stocks are on sale.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6488 on: March 16, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
Having cash is not bad right now. Just wait a few days/weeks and the sale will only get better. Cash on hand might be very helpful if you have a family or other financial obligations. This is unprecedented in modern times. Wish everyone the best during these trying times.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6489 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
It turns out that today was interesting indeed. -12%. VIX hit 83.56. I don’t recall if that’s a record, but it’s close. Didn’t quite hit the second circuit breaker.

I think we’re approaching Top butt-pucker.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6490 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »

I lol'd. Down about double that - whoohoooooooooo. At least i get paid on friday so gonna junk that into the market and let the chips fall where they may!

Whoops, after today, about triple....

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6491 on: March 16, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »
It turns out that today was interesting indeed. -12%. VIX hit 83.56. I don’t recall if that’s a record, but it’s close. Didn’t quite hit the second circuit breaker.

Since we rocketed up 10% on Friday, today was not that crazy.  It's what happens the rest of this week which will determine if we were at top pucker...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6492 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »

Another member of the “down a house” club

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6493 on: March 16, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »

OMG WERE TO 2017 LEVELS IN THE MARKET.

ALMOST THREE WHOLE YEARS BACK WORTH OF GROWTH!

TOP definitely is IN. Was IN. We're OUT now.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6494 on: March 16, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »

OMG WERE TO 2017 LEVELS IN THE MARKET.

ALMOST THREE WHOLE YEARS BACK WORTH OF GROWTH!

TOP definitely is IN. Was IN. We're OUT now.

2017?  Is that all?  Gosh. Then we're not even close to Top Butt-Pucker. I stand corrected.  Maybe when we get down to 2014 valuations we'll be close to Top Butt-Pucker.

So, maybe next week?   

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6495 on: March 16, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »

Dang, I’m only down a BMW M4, guess I should complain.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6496 on: March 16, 2020, 04:11:46 PM »

Dang, I’m only down a BMW M4, guess I should complain.

Used C6 Z06 here

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6497 on: March 16, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
I'm only down a Toyota Corolla, but considering the fact that I only drive cheap used cars that feels like a lot!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6498 on: March 16, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Down about 8 Cybertrucks here (the two motor version though)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6499 on: March 16, 2020, 04:48:57 PM »
Semi serious question: is the real estate top in? Seems like we are headed for major economic issues, and that combined with people's fear of letting strangers in their house to view it seems like a real estate crash will follow. Is this going to trickle down into every part of the economy? Are we having another "great recession"?