Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134441 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6400 on: March 12, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
The worst single day for stocks since 1987.

For those who like to trot out the Warren Buffett quotes every time the market dips... are you actually following through and BEING GREEDY right now? Because this is a full blow panic.

The market has lost nearly 1/3rd of its value. I suspect that even Mr Buffett is getting mildly interested now that valuations have retreated from the stratosphere.

Yes actually. I have about $50,000 in cash most of which I have to now invest in the market in my individual 401k plan for the 2019 tax year.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6401 on: March 12, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »

For those who like to trot out the Warren Buffett quotes every time the market dips... are you actually following through and BEING GREEDY right now? Because this is a full blow panic.

The market has lost nearly 1/3rd of its value. I suspect that even Mr Buffett is getting mildly interested now that valuations have retreated from the stratosphere.

Yes actually. I have about $50,000 in cash most of which I have to now invest in the market in my individual 401k plan for the 2019 tax year.

So envious of you Dave in AA!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #6402 on: March 12, 2020, 04:58:46 PM »
I've been through several temptations of how to "buy the dip", but since I have long-term plans I don't have "dry powder" waiting for a deal, and my bond component is in a balanced fund so it sort of auto-balances itself day by day.

As a recent retiree I have two years (minus a couple of weeks) of cash for expenses, and I was tempted, but no, I have a plan, and I'm sticking with it.

I briefly considered going from the balanced fund to an all-stock fund, but again decided I have a plan and not much reason to change it. My cash will stretch hopefully through this dip, and if it doesn't then the balanced funds would be my first withdrawal target, although I rather figure I will have taken action to avoid that by then.

So I am following my plans again for third major dip in my investing career.

You do know what happened after 1987, right?

I graduated high school?

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #6403 on: March 12, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »

Yes, I am, thanks.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #6404 on: March 12, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »

Yes, I am, thanks.

Me too! 100% equities and loving it. I do enjoy roller coasters though. Some folks are wired differently and that's okay too, we need them to sell to bring the price down.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6405 on: March 12, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »

You do know what happened after 1987, right?

er, 1988?

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6406 on: March 12, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
^^ T'was a serious question..

Well done to those who are managing to put any spare cash they have to work in this selloff.

I'm taking advantage. Had a pretty large cash position about 12% which I have been gradually moving over over the last couple of weeks. 1 more bullet to fire, which I'll put the order in tomorrow so that it goes through on Monday. A philosophy which has an element of timing the market doesn't necessarily contradict a philosophy that relies on time in the market.

I don't hold much bonds, but I'm trimming further back what I do hold and swapping them for stocks.  Bonds have had a fantastic last 18 months but I really don't see much more upside. Indeed we saw a significant reversal on Tuesday in the bond market, and Bonds could be viewed as even more expensive than stocks when you consider that you are loaning the US Govt money at 0.6% for 10 years (that is crazy).

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:32:13 PM by vand »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6407 on: March 12, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »
RIP to the ironic "is this the top?" posts...at least for awhile.

S&P 500 close 4/11/2017 - 2353.78
S&P 500 present - 2518.79

I would still be posting plenty of ironic sarcastic posts if that didn't feel a little disrespectful in the face of a pandemic.  Nothing happening is changing any long-term prospects.

In 2009 the market dropped to prices it was about 11 years prior.

We're still not even 4 years back now.

11 years ago today would be 2009. That means... sub 1k SP500 is gonna happen since history obviously repeats itself with the market crashing to its 11 year prior number.

Top was definitely in. RIP everyone here, nice knowing y'all.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6408 on: March 12, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »
Just dumped $10k into the market. I raided my emergency fund.  Planning to replenish over the next year rather than investing in the market. Basically using my emergency fund to front load my investments for this year. I feel it's somewhat risky to nearly deplete my emergency fund, but I still have over $60k in taxable account even after this drop, so I can always tap that.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6409 on: March 12, 2020, 10:49:51 PM »
I'm not being greedy, but I'm not selling either. I'm still buying when I get paid every-other-Friday, and I will keep doing so as long as I have a job. I don't understand the connection between a falling stock market and panic selling. I'll only sell when I need money to pay expenses in retirement.

I’m just trying to find ways not to sell for living expenses.  Can sell bonds and gold.  Can let the wife lend to me but that’s zero sum for her (she could be investing) so not a rational option.  Not ready to leverage beyond my mortgage right now, but if refi rates come down consider a cash-out

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6410 on: March 13, 2020, 03:50:49 AM »

This isnt done yet, my friend. We’re only about 2 weeks into this.

As you know I’m buying the FTSE, which for the record peaked as far back as May 2018. While the US went bananas many other indices spent the time since that peak just treading water.  So it is technically correct to say that UK equities have been in a bear market for almost 2 years now.. that’s not far off the batting average for most bear durations.

It could of course fall much further as all markets have a high degree of correlation about them these days, but it could also be closer to the end of its bear market than anyone thinks. CAPE is currently about 11.0, cheaper than any time in my investing lifetime.

I have post more thoughts on the FTSE in the UK tax sub forum.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6411 on: March 13, 2020, 05:35:23 AM »
@vand

Yup. When I start buying in the next few weeks, UK is one of the markets I’ll be buying into*.  Equities seem to be correlated across countries so the old saw about the US catching cold and the rest of the world catching pneumonia has more than a little truth to it.  Thanks for the tip on the UK tax topic. I’ll check it out.

*(or more accurately more into. I was a fan of UK equities before the late unpleasantness.)

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6412 on: March 13, 2020, 07:29:33 AM »
I am out of firepower. This 25% off sale comes to an end for me today.

Somewhere I read that early in the Great Depression, stocks kept dropping because everyone who had the guts to buy falling stock ran out of purchase money. So @achvfi, thanks for proving that the mighty Thorstach right. The best worst is yet to come!

There is a great graphic I saw earlier showing the time from bear to bottom in past bear markets.  It's months usually. Sooo, keep that powder dry for a spell.

Currently, I think people are just holding on to dry powder until time to rush back in.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6413 on: March 13, 2020, 07:30:47 AM »

Somewhere I read that early in the Great Depression, stocks kept dropping because everyone who had the guts to buy falling stock ran out of purchase money. So @achvfi, thanks for proving that the mighty Thorstach right. The best worst is yet to come!

There is a great graphic I saw earlier showing the time from bear to bottom in past bear markets.  It's months usually. Sooo, keep that powder dry for a spell.

Currently, I think people are just holding on to dry powder until time to rush back in.

Seems to be a bull rush this morning.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6414 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »

Yeah wtf man.  I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down.  I know I can't time the market, and my IPS says dump the money in ASAP, so that's what I did, but it will bum me out a bit if that happens.  Kind of hoping for the market to crater again.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6415 on: March 13, 2020, 08:03:30 AM »

Nope, dead cat bounce.  When thorstach doesn’t comment and the market goes up it defies the laws of the Top, and will continue to fall forever.  We need him to comment something vague about total doom, that’s when the bottom is in. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6416 on: March 13, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »
Well it is supposed to be a dead cat bounce, but Trump is giving a press conference later today, so run for your lives!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6417 on: March 13, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »
Well it is supposed to be a dead cat bounce, but Trump is giving a press conference later today, so run for your lives!

Praise be to Odin.  Maybe Trump can cause another steep decline before market close.

I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down. 

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6418 on: March 13, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »

Yeah wtf man.  I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down.  I know I can't time the market, and my IPS says dump the money in ASAP, so that's what I did, but it will bum me out a bit if that happens.  Kind of hoping for the market to crater again.

My deposits got Wednesdays prices, so I'm in the same semi-ticked boat, but at least there's hope for you!

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6419 on: March 13, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »

Still at very good price. No worries.

Praise be to Odin.  Maybe Trump can cause another steep decline before market close.

I believe there are trillions of dollars waiting to rush in and out. There will be lots of opportunities during this confusion and incompetent white house wont help. Until clearer heads prevail enjoy the ride.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6420 on: March 13, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
It's fun to watch the SP500 ticker versus the cnbc top headline. The headline was something about a great rebound as the SP500 started off +5%, with the accompanying picture of smiling traders. That stayed up as things reversed course down to +1%. Then the headline finally caught up and now says stocks give up their gains, with a picture of a worried trader...and of course now we're back to nearly +3.5%.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6421 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
It's fun to watch the SP500 ticker versus the cnbc top headline. The headline was something about a great rebound as the SP500 started off +5%, with the accompanying picture of smiling traders. That stayed up as things reversed course down to +1%. Then the headline finally caught up and now says stocks give up their gains, with a picture of a worried trader...and of course now we're back to nearly +3.5%.

I try to avoid the talking heads but they can be amusing when they can't keep up with the day.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6422 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »

I would still be posting plenty of ironic sarcastic posts if that didn't feel a little disrespectful in the face of a pandemic.  Nothing happening is changing any long-term prospects.

Not sure of your point.

1) This thread is filled with "iS tHiS tHe tOp?" posts because we have seen new tops set every few months, if not every few weeks.  They became ironic posts to the OP.
2) We are no longer at or near "the top," as it were.  Some 22% off or whatever.
3) What's the point of posting the S&P 500 close from almost 3 years ago?
4) What, exactly, would your ironic sarcastic posts be since, uhh, we're not anywhere near 3300?
5) The drops down are always much quicker than the rises to the top.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #6423 on: March 13, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
I only have about 11% bonds right now, but thinking about selling those and going 100% equities. Would anyone do the same?  I'm 40 and don't plan to RE for at least 5-7 years, maybe longer.

I just don't keep much cash laying around, what extra I did have already went in.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6424 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »
I only have about 11% bonds right now, but thinking about selling those and going 100% equities. Would anyone do the same?  I'm 40 and don't plan to RE for at least 5-7 years, maybe longer.

I just don't keep much cash laying around, what extra I did have already went in.
I would do it if I had any left in bonds. If you have enough emergency fund and a buy and hold investor its a great opportunity.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #6425 on: March 13, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »

I would do it if I had any left in bonds. If you have enough emergency fund and a buy and hold investor its a great opportunity.

I just did it.  :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6426 on: March 13, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »

Not sure of your point.

1) This thread is filled with "iS tHiS tHe tOp?" posts because we have seen new tops set every few months, if not every few weeks.  They became ironic posts to the OP.
2) We are no longer at or near "the top," as it were.  Some 22% off or whatever.
3) What's the point of posting the S&P 500 close from almost 3 years ago?
4) What, exactly, would your ironic sarcastic posts be since, uhh, we're not anywhere near 3300?
5) The drops down are always much quicker than the rises to the top.

1) Yes, but the panic and greed about the market tanking would be just even more funny if that weren't disrespectful to the thousands of people getting sick and the millions facing economic hardship from quarantines.  The flurry is still quite ridiculous.
2) The market being way down doesn't change anything.  3386 is not THE top unless you think this is the end of the modern economy.  Maybe it won't get back there for years, but that's not concerning.  There's no reason to react.  If you feel the need to react, try to find ways to spend less.  Being responsible by practicing social distancing should help with that anyway. 
3) If you look back through the history of this thread, 4/11/2017 is when we were told the market was going to tank and that we should all pull out.  It took until Feb 2020 before the stopped clock was right.  We're still not back down that far yet.  Those who have kept their "powder dry" since then still need another big drop as well as good timing to be coming out ahead.  It may very well happen for them, but just because you come out ahead doesn't mean you weren't still betting against the house. 
4) Probably memes about headless chickens or kegs of gunpowder.  I would be all over some more entertainment at market timers' expense if it didn't feel a little insensitive with so many people concerned about their health or their jobs. 
5) Maybe.  Maybe not.  It's ridiculous to think anybody knows what's coming next with the market in the short term.  It very well could rise back up quickly.  Or not.  I'm smart enough to know that I don't know. The long term is what matters, anyway, and I have just as much optimism about that as I did 2019.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6427 on: March 13, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
It's weird.  5 years ago when I joined this board, with a drop like this I would have been feeling panic.  Now I feel.... nothing.  Runups and then big drops just seem par for the course if you're going to be in index funds.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6428 on: March 13, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
It's weird.  5 years ago when I joined this board, with a drop like this I would have been feeling panic.  Now I feel.... nothing.  Runups and then big drops just seem par for the course if you're going to be in index funds.

I know.  It's nice that we can help inoculate each other against emotional reactions. 

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #6429 on: March 13, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
I know.  It's nice that we can help inoculate each other against emotional reactions.

Herd impunity!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6430 on: March 13, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »

Herd impunity!

I just related that comment to my wife.

I have been banished from her presence for the nonce.

My hat is off to you for such an apt and awesome pun!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6431 on: March 13, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »

What are you talking about? Aren't you SUPER HAPPY that stocks are up ~9% today?!? If it keeps going up 9% every day forever we'll be gazillionaires!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

It would be pretty funny if we lost the bull market because of the S&P closing down over 20% from the top for only one day.

Custom Concern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6432 on: March 13, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
A friendly PSA reminder to how percent gains and losses work.

If the market loses 10% one day, the next day an 11% gain will be needed for full restoration of value. If a 20% loss occurs, a 25% gain is needed. 30% loss, 43% gain needed. etc.

This is how losses, followed by equivalent or even greater gains, over time, can still create net negative values.

Oh, wait, this isn't the "Down is in" thread.. Oops..

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6433 on: March 13, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »

I got some money going into my accounts, but it won't be settled up until the end of today so I'll get todays closing prices.  I'm going to be somewhat pissed if we have a crazy 10% rally today just in time for my orders to go through, only to drop back down. 

What the god damn fuck?  Market was only up 2.5% when trump came out, now it's up 9.3%.  How does declaring a national emergency shoot the price up 7% in an hour?! That's one of the quickest increases I have ever seen.  Looking very likely that I missed being able to buy the crash at all.  Bummer for me. 

ETA: It's almost like the stock market is crazy irrational and unpredictable in the short term.  I follow my IPS and invest the money as it becomes available while disregarding prices and politics...but fuck it sucks seeing the market make massive gains immediately before I make a purchase. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:26:16 PM by frugalnacho »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6434 on: March 13, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »

Narrator: as it turns out, @frugalnacho did have to contend with a 9.3% rally.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #6435 on: March 13, 2020, 02:45:11 PM »

What the god damn fuck?  Market was only up 2.5% when trump came out, now it's up 9.3%.  How does declaring a national emergency shoot the price up 7% in an hour?! That's one of the quickest increases I have ever seen.  Looking very likely that I missed being able to buy the crash at all.  Bummer for me. 

ETA: It's almost like the stock market is crazy irrational and unpredictable in the short term.  I follow my IPS and invest the money as it becomes available while disregarding prices and politics...but fuck it sucks seeing the market make massive gains immediately before I make a purchase.

GD, same thing just happened to me.  I almost moved my bonds yesterday, but I waited today, go figure.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6436 on: March 13, 2020, 02:49:50 PM »

GD, same thing just happened to me.  I almost moved my bonds yesterday, but I waited today, go figure.
Why buy mutual funds that go effect at end of day and you have no control on? when you can buy ETFs at market prices. Am I missing something?

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #6437 on: March 13, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

Why buy mutual funds that go effect at end of day and you have no control on? when you can buy ETFs at market prices. Am I missing something?

the only bonds I had were in my old 401k, and my only option was to sell those for equities.  Hence, why I had to wait for market close price.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6438 on: March 13, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »

It's not that unpredictable, a bunch of people went short this week as losses mounted and needed to cover at any price during the bounce.  This happened during the tech collapse and during 2009 - market can't just crash straight down or else that becomes predictable, so you get people piling in to shorts / hedges only to exacerbate their losses, freak out, and short cover.  Be prepared for more volatility (if that is even possible) next week!

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #6439 on: March 13, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
https://isthisthetop.com/

Dow Jones New York +9.36% 23185.62 +1985.00
Nasdaq      New York +9.35%  7874.88  +673.07
S&P 500    Chicago   +9.29%  2711.02  +230.38

And we thank Big Brother thorstach for increasing the Vanguard dividend ration.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:35:08 PM by ExitViaTheCashRamp »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6440 on: March 13, 2020, 04:17:13 PM »
It's not that unpredictable, a bunch of people went short this week as losses mounted and needed to cover at any price during the bounce.  This happened during the tech collapse and during 2009 - market can't just crash straight down or else that becomes predictable, so you get people piling in to shorts / hedges only to exacerbate their losses, freak out, and short cover.  Be prepared for more volatility (if that is even possible) next week!

"Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian." - Simonson

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6441 on: March 13, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »

"Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian." - Simonson

I’m saying next week will be another leg down.  This was just a temporary bounce. 

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6442 on: March 13, 2020, 06:12:47 PM »

I’m saying next week will be another leg down.  This was just a temporary bounce.

Yeah, this thing is far from over IMO. Give it a few days, weeks, my bet is we see some new lows still.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6443 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »

Awesome, just tell me the exact time I should execute my next trade to maximize my investment potential.

And to the person asking about etf instead of mutual funds...I've always just done the mutual fund. Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down, but until now it's never made a significant difference in price.  I didn't anticipate a 10% rally before my order went through.  Also that knife cuts both ways, I could have just as easily locked in yesterday's price by buying an ETF only to watch it drop another 10% and I'd be cursing that I didn't go with the mutual fund.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #6444 on: March 13, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
Awesome, just tell me the exact time I should execute my next trade to maximize my investment potential.

November 1987.

Or, in the alternative, as many years ago as possible.

Worked for me!

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #6445 on: March 13, 2020, 10:58:53 PM »
as many years ago as possible.

Worked for me!

John Titor is that you?

appleshampooid

• Bristles
  • Relentless Snacker
« Reply #6446 on: March 14, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6447 on: March 14, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
John Titor, a blast from the past. Did not expect to hear another JT reference.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6448 on: March 14, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »

I knew that reference was coming. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6449 on: March 14, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »

Had not heard about John Titor until now, so I'm definitely not him!  Watching Hunters on Prime, there was a reference to 'Vril' - a late 19th century sci-fi publication that supposedly inspired the Nazi's that fled to America under 'operation paperclip'...  I predict that the prediction of future tops is in