Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134718 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Top is in
« Reply #6000 on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
Market performing a dead cat bounce today?  Feline TOP is in.

The Will E. Feline seems to be on a roller coaster.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6001 on: February 26, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
Has the world changed drastically since May 2019?

SPY was $275 then.   It is $314 now.

Maybe soon we will have "is this the bottom yet?" threads lol.

I really don't think the market will drop more than 30%.   That is only like $600,000 if you have a $2M portfolio.   Barely worth mentioning.

You are assuming a 30% drop AND NO RECOVERY.  Is that what you actually believe will happen?  If so, it seems foolish of you to invest in Index funds at all, since the basic idea of indexing is that the market goes up.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6002 on: February 26, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »

I really don't think the market will drop more than 30%.   That is only like $600,000 if you have a $2M portfolio.   Barely worth mentioning.

You are assuming a 30% drop AND NO RECOVERY.  Is that what you actually believe will happen?  If so, it seems foolish of you to invest in Index funds at all, since the basic idea of indexing is that the market goes up.

We have generally had a pretty V shaped drop and recovery so I guess it will happen that way again if it even drops 30%.   Some individual stocks never recover (Sears, Kodak, Radio Shack, Seadrill, I am looking at you) but yeah in general if the world keeps spinning, stuff eventually will come back.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6003 on: February 26, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »

We have generally had a pretty V shaped drop and recovery so I guess it will happen that way again if it even drops 30%.   Some individual stocks never recover (Sears, Kodak, Radio Shack, Seadrill, I am looking at you) but yeah in general if the world keeps spinning, stuff eventually will come back.

Right, but as indexers, nobody cares about individual stocks.  They literally do not matter because as they fall, other stocks roar up and replace them, and go even higher.  Indexers benefit from this continual burning away and renewal. 

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6004 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »

Right, but as indexers, nobody cares about individual stocks.  They literally do not matter because as they fall, other stocks roar up and replace them, and go even higher.  Indexers benefit from this continual burning away and renewal.

Look, you have been warned since April 11, 2017. The top is in. Fear is up. The VIX is doing something (what is a VIX anyway? I’ve never figured that one out).

If you have stocks or indexes or what have you you’re in trouble. There is no recovery. Nothing will ever roar back.

THE TOP IS IN

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6005 on: February 26, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
Doesn't VIX make like vapor rub or something?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6006 on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »

Vapor rub is even more nebulous, top must be innnnnn!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6007 on: February 26, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

VIX is the ticker symbol and the popular name for the Chicago Board Options Exchange's CBOE Volatility Index, a popular measure of the stock market's expectation of volatility based on S&P 500 index options. It is calculated and disseminated on a real-time basis by the CBOE, and is often referred to as the fear index or fear gauge.

The VIX traces its origin to the financial economics research of Menachem Brenner and Dan Galai. In a series of papers beginning in 1989, Brenner and Galai proposed the creation of a series of volatility indices, beginning with an index on stock market volatility, and moving to interest rate and foreign exchange rate volatility.[1][2][full citation needed]

In their papers, Brenner and Galai proposed, "[the] volatility index, to be named 'Sigma Index', would be updated frequently and used as the underlying asset for futures and options. ... A volatility index would play the same role as the market index play for options and futures on the index."[This quote needs a citation] In 1992, the CBOE hired consultant Bob Whaley to calculate values for stock market volatility based on this theoretical work.[not verified in body] Whaley utilized data series in the index options market, and provided the CBOE with computations for daily VIX levels from January 1986 to May 1992.[not verified in body]

The resulting VIX index formulation provides a measure of market volatility on which expectations of further stock market volatility in the near future might be based. The current VIX index value quotes the expected annualized change in the S&P 500 index over the following 30 days, as computed from options-based theory and current options-market data.[not verified in body]

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6008 on: February 26, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »

VIX is the ticker symbol and the popular name for the Chicago Board Options Exchange's CBOE Volatility Index, a popular measure of the stock market's expectation of volatility based on S&P 500 index options. It is calculated and disseminated on a real-time basis by the CBOE, and is often referred to as the fear index or fear gauge.

The VIX traces its origin to the financial economics research of Menachem Brenner and Dan Galai. In a series of papers beginning in 1989, Brenner and Galai proposed the creation of a series of volatility indices, beginning with an index on stock market volatility, and moving to interest rate and foreign exchange rate volatility.[1][2][full citation needed]

In their papers, Brenner and Galai proposed, "[the] volatility index, to be named 'Sigma Index', would be updated frequently and used as the underlying asset for futures and options. ... A volatility index would play the same role as the market index play for options and futures on the index."[This quote needs a citation] In 1992, the CBOE hired consultant Bob Whaley to calculate values for stock market volatility based on this theoretical work.[not verified in body] Whaley utilized data series in the index options market, and provided the CBOE with computations for daily VIX levels from January 1986 to May 1992.[not verified in body]

The resulting VIX index formulation provides a measure of market volatility on which expectations of further stock market volatility in the near future might be based. The current VIX index value quotes the expected annualized change in the S&P 500 index over the following 30 days, as computed from options-based theory and current options-market data.[not verified in body]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6009 on: February 26, 2020, 02:04:25 PM »
You can clearly see the top of the joke arc.  Joke top is in.  It's all super serious from here on out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6010 on: February 26, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
Can we start calling the top of peak coronavirus yet?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6011 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
You can clearly see the top of the joke arc.  Joke top is in.  It's all super serious from here on out.

Until the joke bottom is in

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6012 on: February 26, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »

I think it is crowning

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6013 on: February 26, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »

Yeah, nobody wants to be the “bottom” of the joke. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6014 on: February 26, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I’m just mad I read the entire description of VIX looking for a joke or pun slipped in there

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6015 on: February 26, 2020, 03:04:11 PM »

Yeah, nobody wants to be the “bottom” of the joke.

Some people do, and we shouldn't judge them for it. Unless they want to be. Then we should judge them. Um.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #6016 on: February 26, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »
(what is a VIX anyway? I’ve never figured that one out).

Roman numeral. Sooo...that's ten minus 6 I think, so 4.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #6017 on: February 26, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »
Still dropping................

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6018 on: February 26, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
Anyone look at the treasury yields? Pretty fair inversion out to 5 years.

Far worse inversion earlier this year.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6019 on: February 26, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »
THE SKY IS FALLING!!1!1!!

Oh wait, it’s just a flurry

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6020 on: February 26, 2020, 06:06:35 PM »
So the Math question is on what day will the Top is in surpass the number of pages of the US stocks in free fall thread?  They only got a 6 year head start on us.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6021 on: February 26, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »

Of course there will be NO RECOVERY...because The Top Is In.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6022 on: February 26, 2020, 07:23:11 PM »
I'm so unconcerned by the market drop that when the bank accidentally credited me with a $293,323.09 deposit for a $29,323.09 check I gave them, I asked them to fix what they had done wrong.

Don't have someone accidentally hand you over a quarter of a million dollars every day!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6023 on: February 26, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »

Thanks! That had really been bothering me.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6024 on: February 26, 2020, 11:02:07 PM »
I'm so unconcerned by the market drop that when the bank accidentally credited me with a $293,323.09 deposit for a $29,323.09 check I gave them, I asked them to fix what they had done wrong.

Don't have someone accidentally hand you over a quarter of a million dollars every day!

Top bank error is in

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6025 on: February 27, 2020, 02:16:29 AM »
Anyone look at the treasury yields? Pretty fair inversion out to 5 years.

Far worse inversion earlier this year.

Ugh. The folks who spent last year screaming "Yield inversion=recession any minute now!" are going to feel vindicated if the virus causes a recession even though the virus didn't exist a year ago.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6026 on: February 27, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »
Is the options guy kicking himself in the butt yet since Top was in?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6027 on: February 27, 2020, 06:51:51 AM »

You talking about me with the March $325 puts I was holding?  My butt is sore from all the kicking.

This thread is getting not as funny as we continue to drop.   It will be interesting to see how chipper we are when we are dusting off the DOW 20,000 hats again.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6028 on: February 27, 2020, 06:55:01 AM »

You talking about me with the March $325 puts I was holding?  My butt is sore from all the kicking.

This thread is getting not as funny as we continue to drop.   It will be interesting to see how chipper we are when we are dusting off the DOW 20,000 hats again.

Drops are fun.  It lets you know if you investment policy is correct.  ;>) I still couldn't figure out how those options worked.  If you sold today how much was it worth?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6029 on: February 27, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »

I'm still laughing.

I'm also pretty early in the accumulation phase, so a drop benefits me, as long as I remain employed.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6030 on: February 27, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6031 on: February 27, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »

I'm still laughing.

I'm also pretty early in the accumulation phase, so a drop benefits me, as long as I remain employed.
That's where I'm at. At this latest top we were at, maybe 50-60% of the end number, so a drop is actually a good thing for us.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6032 on: February 27, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »

Wife & I combined are adding ~$10k/month in payroll deductions. BRING IT!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6033 on: February 27, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »
I'm in the later stages of the journey and I feel fine. Even if we need to dust off the Dow 20000 hats it'll be okay. After all we have saved up a large amount of money, currently both have jobs, live in a multifamily house that we own and rent out two apartments, are healthy. So what if there is an economic bump in the road. It'll recover. So what if the plan gets delayed by two years?

Oh and Top is in because something something.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #6034 on: February 27, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
My first correction as a retiree! #NoLongerACorrectionVirgin

Bring on dow 20,000.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6035 on: February 27, 2020, 08:16:49 AM »

No, it's not a Roman numeral.   4 would be IV, 1 less than 5.

VIX appears to be some sort of stock volatility index.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6036 on: February 27, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »

Drops are fun.  It lets you know if you investment policy is correct.  ;>) I still couldn't figure out how those options worked.  If you sold today how much was it worth?

This is only week one folks.  If this is a real recession (and I'm beginning to think it will be), this is going to drag on for months...

Those options are beginning to look like a winning lottery ticket that got destroyed in the wash machine...  bought for $3.30 and now worth $22.50+.  Multiply that gain by 100(shares per contract) x 100 (contracts)...  $190,000+

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6037 on: February 27, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
Triple VIXen top!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6038 on: February 27, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »

It is definitely a Roman numeral. Like in movies. MCMXCVII

That is 1,100 minus 990 plus 105 minus 2, so 213. They use it to show you how many people worked on the movie.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6039 on: February 27, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »

That is 1,100 minus 990 plus 105 minus 2, so 213. They use it to show you how many people worked on the movie.

I'm fairly certain that MCMXCVII is 1997.

But I'm not Roman, so I could be terribly wrong. Come to think of it, I'm also not Arabic, so it's possible that I know nothing about numbers whatsoever.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6040 on: February 27, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »

But I'm not Roman, so I could be terribly wrong. Come to think of it, I'm also not Arabic, so it's possible that I know nothing about numbers whatsoever.

If MCMXCVII is 1997, then VIX is 59 - better known as, The Top.  Since VIX is only at 34, we still have a ways to go.

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6041 on: February 27, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »

ouch. back to Thanksgiving 2019 close. all of you mocking the top is in since then maybe right. the economic affects of the virus are just beginning to be felt and a recovery starting to have positive affects is probably 6 months at minimum. sliced thru the 100 day MDA like nothing, 200 day will be tested.

Thorstach  ahhh I mean Cabaka do you know what the Coronavirus ticker is?  I know fear is VIX but I can't seem to find the virus index.  I already tried COVID-2019 and it didn't work.  I need to place some options soon.  Thanks for the help!

not sure who that is, I just like to drop in on you guys and see who is dollar cost averaging during something like the virus that is just beginning to affect economies. the same as I like to watch those on noted shorting site, slope of hope; be giddy just 5 days from ATHs. too early to say which group is right but I do have a whole lot more capital I put on the sidelines Friday when the MA changed than the dollar cost avergers who sat thru Monday and today.

You're telling us you don't know who thorstach is?

I have 39 posts in 3 years, I do not know who are notable posters and why.

11% down in 5 days, not what I would call pocket change as someone posted on this page; but you all keep dollar cost averaging in this virus looking to get worse.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6042 on: February 27, 2020, 08:48:52 AM »

ouch. back to Thanksgiving 2019 close. all of you mocking the top is in since then maybe right. the economic affects of the virus are just beginning to be felt and a recovery starting to have positive affects is probably 6 months at minimum. sliced thru the 100 day MDA like nothing, 200 day will be tested.

Thorstach  ahhh I mean Cabaka do you know what the Coronavirus ticker is?  I know fear is VIX but I can't seem to find the virus index.  I already tried COVID-2019 and it didn't work.  I need to place some options soon.  Thanks for the help!

not sure who that is, I just like to drop in on you guys and see who is dollar cost averaging during something like the virus that is just beginning to affect economies. the same as I like to watch those on noted shorting site, slope of hope; be giddy just 5 days from ATHs. too early to say which group is right but I do have a whole lot more capital I put on the sidelines Friday when the MA changed than the dollar cost avergers who sat thru Monday and today.

11% down in 5 days, not what I would call pocket change as someone posted on this page; but you all keep dollar cost averaging in this virus looking to get worse.

thorstach would be so proud!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6043 on: February 27, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »

Well, you are posting in HIS thread.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6044 on: February 27, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »

If MCMXCVII is 1997, then VIX is 59 - better known as, The Top.  Since VIX is only at 34, we still have a ways to go.

I don’t think it takes 2000 people to make a movie

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6045 on: February 27, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
No jokes today...? Perhaps the Bravado Top is in.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6046 on: February 27, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
On the bright side, no need to re balance my stock-bond portfolio, the market is doing that for me :)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6047 on: February 27, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »

I think it is crowning

Dang it, I came here to make EXACTLY this joke and I see you guys have already beat me to it.

I should have known better than to try to beat the pros.  Top snark is in.  ;-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6048 on: February 27, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »

You are either kidding with us or don't understand Roman numerals and how they work.   MCMXCVII is

M = 1000
CM = 1000 - 100 = 900
XC = 100 - 10 = 90
VII = 5 + 2 = 7

1997, which would have been when the movie was made.    There aren't any films from 213...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6049 on: February 27, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »

It's a bad implementation of Romanized 1997. It should be MIIIM or MVMIII

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!