Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134547 times)

erutio

• Pencil Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #5950 on: February 25, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »
Watch out for the Arizona property top.

Land in Arizona only goes up in value. They aren’t making any more of it.

If they aren't making any more of it, I think that means it's at a permanent plateau.  On the other hand top is not in for Hawaii; they are making more of it.

I thought we learned from 1929 that permanent plateau tops can only go up.  Permanent plateau tops are in!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5951 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:42 AM »
Corona Top is in!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5952 on: February 25, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
No one is taking this dip seriously, so it's probably the big one.

I should be so lucky. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5953 on: February 25, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
VIX is over 25. TWENTY FIVE. Will earnings be a reality check? Is fear back?

Meh. It hit around 79 back in '08.

These kids today.  Don't appreciate some proper market volatility like we had when I was growing up.   

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #5954 on: February 25, 2020, 11:47:29 AM »
Currently a massive 6.5% down from our recent closing high.. This could be it..:)

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5955 on: February 25, 2020, 12:07:40 PM »
We haven’t had a drop this big in the SP500 since 2018!!!

This is a disaster!!!!

PANIC!!!!!

Two whole years people. This is historic. You’ll be telling your grandkids where you were on February 24, 2020.

I’m selling everything and buying land in Arizona.
Watch out for the Arizona property top.

Or Ocean Top property in Arizona.  #KingGeorge

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5956 on: February 25, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »
THE SKY IS FALLING!!1!1!!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5957 on: February 25, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5958 on: February 25, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »
I HOPE EVERYBODY IS SELLING ALL OF THEIR INVESTMENTS AND BURYING THE CASH IN THEIR BACKYARD CUZ THE MARKET WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*JK - keep calm and DCA :)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5959 on: February 25, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
Grrr...futures are showing Monday is coming in as a hard crash.   Oh well, who needed another $100,000 on those puts...would just have been more taxes.
Well, if SPY does fall below 325 before March 20th, you will have made it a lot more fun to watch!  Not entirely sure if you will be better off since you also comment on making money when this position loses money, but it has given me some interest to watch the market on Monday since you seem to think something big is about to happen.

It isn't as fun to watch when I have closed out the puts for a $3500 gain and yet still hold well over a million in a 401K that is mostly in the S&P500.

Wow, I hadn't realized you'd closed out the position.  That's why I hate options, you have to get everything right.  Would've been a sweet trade, $100,000 and counting....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:47:20 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5960 on: February 25, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
Grrr...futures are showing Monday is coming in as a hard crash.   Oh well, who needed another $100,000 on those puts...would just have been more taxes.
Well, if SPY does fall below 325 before March 20th, you will have made it a lot more fun to watch!  Not entirely sure if you will be better off since you also comment on making money when this position loses money, but it has given me some interest to watch the market on Monday since you seem to think something big is about to happen.

It isn't as fun to watch when I have closed out the puts for a $3500 gain and yet still hold well over a million in a 401K that is mostly in the S&P500.

Wow, I hadn't realized you'd closed out the position.  That's why I hate options, you have to get everything right.  Would've been a sweet trade, $100,000 and counting....

Ouch!

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5961 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
Time to do my semi-annual mosey on over to the Stocks in Freefall thread at Bogleheads.

Yikes, I've scrolled 5 pages back and still seeing Monday posts. Looks like I should have started reading yesterday.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5962 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
Time to do my semi-annual mosey on over to the Stocks in Freefall thread at Bogleheads.

Yikes, I've scrolled 5 pages back and still seeing Monday posts. Looks like I should have started reading yesterday.

So what's going in that thread? It looks kinda like our Top is in thread, but everyone is so serious and there is no sarcasm at all? Or am I missing something?

Link for the lazy: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5963 on: February 25, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
I HOPE EVERYBODY IS SELLING ALL OF THEIR INVESTMENTS AND BURYING THE CASH IN THEIR BACKYARD CUZ THE MARKET WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

By cash you mean worthless paper?  You need gold.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5964 on: February 25, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »

By cash you mean worthless paper?  You need gold.
Gold does hold up better to being buried in the ground better than cash. Plus it's weight discourages thieves if you buy large enough pieces of it.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #5965 on: February 25, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »
Gold makes my mattress too lumpy and uncomfortable.

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #5966 on: February 25, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
Maybe thorstach topped him/herself :O

Come back to us thorstach, stay away from the light !

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5967 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »

It would probably make for a great weighted blanket, though.  Shouldn't having a safe place for your assets help you sleep well at night?  You would be covered if the end of the world happens. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5968 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »

So what's going in that thread? It looks kinda like our Top is in thread, but everyone is so serious and there is no sarcasm at all? Or am I missing something?

Link for the lazy: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065

Thanks for the link. Some lack of humor over there it seems. One good sarcastic remark that folks should sell now to avoid capital gains.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5969 on: February 25, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

It would probably make for a great weighted blanket, though.  Shouldn't having a safe place for your assets help you sleep well at night?  You would be covered if the end of the world happens.

Does gold work as well(better?) as lead? Maybe a gold blanket would protect me at night when my tinfoil hat has a tendency to fall off?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5970 on: February 25, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
Anyone look at the treasury yields? Pretty fair inversion out to 5 years.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5971 on: February 25, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Graphs or it didn't happen.

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5972 on: February 25, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

ouch. back to Thanksgiving 2019 close. all of you mocking the top is in since then maybe right. the economic affects of the virus are just beginning to be felt and a recovery starting to have positive affects is probably 6 months at minimum. sliced thru the 100 day MDA like nothing, 200 day will be tested.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5973 on: February 25, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »

ouch. back to Thanksgiving 2019 close. all of you mocking the top is in since then maybe right. the economic affects of the virus are just beginning to be felt and a recovery starting to have positive affects is probably 6 months at minimum. sliced thru the 100 day MDA like nothing, 200 day will be tested.

thorstach, is that you?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5974 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »

Graphs or it didn't happen.

I’m no good at posting graphs off my phone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/us

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5975 on: February 25, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Does gold work as well(better?) as lead? Maybe a gold blanket would protect me at night when my tinfoil hat has a tendency to fall off?

Gold is actually 70% denser than lead, and unlike lead it's nontoxic.   It's perfect for the job. 

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5976 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »

Thorstach  ahhh I mean Cabaka do you know what the Coronavirus ticker is?  I know fear is VIX but I can't seem to find the virus index.  I already tried COVID-2019 and it didn't work.  I need to place some options soon.  Thanks for the help!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5977 on: February 25, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
Bubblewrap Top?

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5978 on: February 25, 2020, 04:37:42 PM »
Happy top day

Dragon called it, Turkey Day Top!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5979 on: February 25, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
Corona Top is in!
Yeah. That one might just go viral...

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5980 on: February 25, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »

Thorstach  ahhh I mean Cabaka do you know what the Coronavirus ticker is?  I know fear is VIX but I can't seem to find the virus index.  I already tried COVID-2019 and it didn't work.  I need to place some options soon.  Thanks for the help!

not sure who that is, I just like to drop in on you guys and see who is dollar cost averaging during something like the virus that is just beginning to affect economies. the same as I like to watch those on noted shorting site, slope of hope; be giddy just 5 days from ATHs. too early to say which group is right but I do have a whole lot more capital I put on the sidelines Friday when the MA changed than the dollar cost avergers who sat thru Monday and today.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5981 on: February 25, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »

not sure who that is, I just like to drop in on you guys and see who is dollar cost averaging during something like the virus that is just beginning to affect economies. the same as I like to watch those on noted shorting site, slope of hope; be giddy just 5 days from ATHs. too early to say which group is right but I do have a whole lot more capital I put on the sidelines Friday when the MA changed than the dollar cost avergers who sat thru Monday and today.

You're telling us you don't know who thorstach is?

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5982 on: February 25, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »

I don’t question what form our G-d takes when they appear on Earth I just listen to their prophesies.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5983 on: February 25, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »
I have to issue a mea culpa. I had warned you all that the top wouid be in mid-March when I FIRE (I give notice tomorrow). It looks like I was off on my timing and in fact The Top arrived before I could quit working. I apologize to all of you who were waiting two more weeks to put everything into cash.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #5984 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:44 PM »

thorstach, is that you?

You mock now...200 day will be tested.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #5985 on: February 25, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »
My friends, fear is back:

"The Cboe Volatility Index, known as the market’s “fear gauge,” spiked more than 11% to close at 27.85, the highest close since Dec. 2018. The VIX, a measure of the 30-day implied volatility of U.S. stocks, crossed 30 at its session high on Tuesday as coronavirus fears rattled the markets."
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/dow-futures-bounce-slightly-as-wall-street-attempts-comeback-from-monster-2-day-slide.html

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5986 on: February 25, 2020, 10:46:01 PM »

"The Cboe Volatility Index, known as the market’s “fear gauge,” spiked more than 11% to close at 27.85, the highest close since Dec. 2018. The VIX, a measure of the 30-day implied volatility of U.S. stocks, crossed 30 at its session high on Tuesday as coronavirus fears rattled the markets."
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/dow-futures-bounce-slightly-as-wall-street-attempts-comeback-from-monster-2-day-slide.html

Uh oh, fear was so high in Dec 2018 that it caused the market to only go up 30% in 2019... wait, what?

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5987 on: February 25, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »
I have to issue a mea culpa. I had warned you all that the top wouid be in mid-March when I FIRE (I give notice tomorrow). It looks like I was off on my timing and in fact The Top arrived before I could quit working. I apologize to all of you who were waiting two more weeks to put everything into cash.

Congratulations! The top in January 2018 was almost on the exact day I retired, so I’m claiming credit for that one. As long as we keep FIRE’ing the top will always be in.

Thank you for keeping this thread going.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #5988 on: February 25, 2020, 10:57:52 PM »

Uh oh, fear was so high in Dec 2018 that it caused the market to only go up 30% in 2019... wait, what?

Ha yep I'm still up 28.31% on Dec 2018 buys. I'm with the buy when there's blood in the streets crowd. Bring it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5989 on: February 26, 2020, 01:16:12 AM »

He's gone from our minds as quickly as this year's gains.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #5990 on: February 26, 2020, 04:26:12 AM »

The rattling top is in!!

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5991 on: February 26, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »

LOL it seems the people that come here and say they were right had forgot about Oct 2018 already.

What are we at half the drop of Oct 2018?  Earnings will be a reality check.  Unemployment is still low.  Coronavirus will be a thing of the past in 3 months when we hit the warm months.  Top isn't in yet!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:54:27 AM by wienerdog »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5992 on: February 26, 2020, 06:37:23 AM »

LOL it seems the people that come here and say they were right had forgot about Oct 2018 already.

What are we at half the drop of Oct 2018?  Earnings will be a reality check.  Unemployment is still low.  Coronavirus will be a thing of the past in 3 months when we hit the warm months.  Top isn't in yet!

You take that attitude elsewhere.

Top is, and will always be, in.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5993 on: February 26, 2020, 07:04:18 AM »
Has the world changed drastically since May 2019?

SPY was $275 then.   It is $314 now.

Maybe soon we will have "is this the bottom yet?" threads lol.

I really don't think the market will drop more than 30%.   That is only like $600,000 if you have a $2M portfolio.   Barely worth mentioning.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5994 on: February 26, 2020, 07:20:55 AM »

I really don't think the market will drop more than 30%.   That is only like $600,000 if you have a $2M portfolio.   Barely worth mentioning.

You're right.  Why are we worrying over pocket change? 

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5995 on: February 26, 2020, 07:22:19 AM »

"Bottom Is In" thread was started on Feb. 9, 2018. Maybe you missed it since it has since fallen towards the "Bottom" of the threads.

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #5996 on: February 26, 2020, 07:39:48 AM »
I hope this sale continues until my bi-weekly 401k contribution hits tomorrow. Stay away Thorstach, don't wreck the sale!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:53:34 AM by coffeefueled »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #5997 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »

Correction, you had a $2M portfolio, lost $600k, and now have a $1.4M portfolio.  It's a lot easier to lose $600k when you have $2M left (a 23% loss).  And that 600k is now 43% of the $1.4M you have left...  lots of mental games, especially if the market is still falling and smart people are telling you the Fed can't do anything about supply side disruption...  Top is in!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5998 on: February 26, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »

Correction, you had a $2M portfolio, lost $600k, and now have a $1.4M portfolio.  It's a lot easier to lose $600k when you have $2M left (a 23% loss).  And that 600k is now 43% of the $1.4M you have left...  lots of mental games, especially if the market is still falling and smart people are telling you the Fed can't do anything about supply side disruption...  Top is in!

You don't lose anything until you sell.  (Or until every company goes bankrupt which we know will happen soon since the top is in!)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5999 on: February 26, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »
Market performing a dead cat bounce today?  Feline TOP is in.