Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134602 times)

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
Re: Top is in
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/every-day-the-stock-market-rises-things-get-a-little-more-absurd-2017-07-26?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

The top is has been in for weeks... Thorstach is writing for Market Watch apparently

Assuming I am talking to mostly value folks here, let me ask the question: How long are you going to have to wait? Possibly a while. We could be having this conversation a year from now, with the S&P 500 SPX, -0.49%  at 2,900, my “top” call left in the dust.

...from ^^ the link.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
And here comes the S&P close below the 50 day average with VIX at 16.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4062080-passive-investing-will-make-next-correction-worse

"Thesis: The passive investing shift presents risks to investors as many are less likely to receive any advice prior to selling during the next severe correction. Psychology tells us that investors will always fear losses and react to market downturns. The shift into passive assets will exacerbate the next downturn, not alleviate it."

The S&P 500 has increased 5% since this post.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #503 on: July 27, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/every-day-the-stock-market-rises-things-get-a-little-more-absurd-2017-07-26?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

The top is has been in for weeks... Thorstach is writing for Market Watch apparently

Assuming I am talking to mostly value folks here, let me ask the question: How long are you going to have to wait? Possibly a while. We could be having this conversation a year from now, with the S&P 500 SPX, -0.49%  at 2,900, my “top” call left in the dust.

...from ^^ the link.

Well at I am glad Thor can admit he is wrong ...

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #504 on: July 27, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »

The tech sector has provided more than 40% of the  S&P  500's advance
Throughout 2017, there's one acronym that investors have in particular been sinking their teeth into: FAANG.
The term stands for a quintet of the market's most pronounced highfliers:  Facebook Inc.  (FB),  Apple Inc.  (AAPL),  Amazon.com Inc.  (AMZN),  Netflix Inc.  (NFLX), and Alphabet (GOOGL), the parent company of  Google . Together they've accounted for a huge amount of the overall market's advance, something that could leave major indexes vulnerable in the event the group turns lower.
Based on their Wednesday close, the FAANG stocks have accounted for more than a quarter of the  S&P  500's total year-to-date return (28.4%, to be exact), according to  Howard Silverblatt , senior index analyst at S&P Dow Jones Indices. That calculation doesn't include the sharp decline that several of the stocks underwent on Thursday.
Each of the five stocks is up sharply thus far this year, posting gains that range from about 20% to nearly 50%. Furthermore, four of the five are among the five largest stocks in the U.S. equity market, meaning they have an outsize weight on broader moves. Together, they account for more than 10% of the  S&P  500 by market capitalization.
The benchmark  S&P  500 is up 10.6% thus far this year. The Nasdaq Composite Index , where all of the FAANG stocks trade, has climbed 18.6%. The Nasdaq -100 , which has an even more concentrated holding of the group, is up nearly 22%.
Overall, the information-technology sector has accounted for 41.6% of the  S&P  500's total return this year, per Silverblatt's data, by far the most of any group. The tech sector (XLK) itself is up 18.9%, while the consumer-discretionary sector (XLY)--where  Amazon  and  Netflix  are classified, despite their connection to the tech industry (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/did-you-buy-a-tech-etf-to-cash-in-on-amazon-heres-some-bad-news-2017-06-16)--is up 13.1%.
The gains in these large-cap names have raised concerns about their valuation (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/as-internet-stocks-hit-records-familiar-questions-about-bubbles-arise-2017-05-22), with analysts noting similarities between the current market environment and the dot-com era (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/stocks-continue-to-mirror-the-dot-com-era-in-ominous-ways-2017-06-15), when there was a bubble in tech names that, when it burst, took down the broader market.
Related:Will tech rally continue? Hedge funds say yes, but mutual funds say no (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/will-tech-rally-continue-hedge-funds-say-yes-but-mutual-funds-say-no-2017-06-05)
Earlier this year, the largest exchange-traded fund to track the tech sector hit an all-time high on a total-return basis (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/after-17-years-sp-500-tech-sector-finally-regains-lost-ground-2017-04-24), recovering the ground it lost in the wake of the dot-com era.
On Thursday, an abrupt selloff in tech shares pressured the FAANG names (except for  Facebook , which stayed higher in the wake of better-than-expected quarterly results (http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2017/07/26/facebook-earnings-put-instagram-in-focus-amid-shift-in-newsfeed-ads-live-blog/)), which in turn weighed on the overall market, pressuring the broader market and dragging the  S&P  500 and Nasdaq to a close in negative territory (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tech-stocks-poised-to-drive-another-record-day-on-wall-street-led-by-facebook-2017-07-27).
- Ryan Vlastelica ; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
 07-27-17   1722ET

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »
Oh and /ES futures down 1%, gapping down tomorrow, top is in.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

This time for real though.
Seriously.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
For those keeping score:

April 11, 2017 "The Top is in."  (S&P 500 closes at 2,353.78)

107 days later...

July 27, 2017 "The Top is in."  (S&P 500 closes at 2,475.42)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »

Best.  Thread.  Ever. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
GIF Version

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Good evening all, is top in yet? Thorstach said it would be.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
Good evening all, is top in yet? Thorstach said it would be.

Haven't you been paying attention?!?! It's been in for over a day now!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
One of these days he's going to be right, by pure random chance, and you're all going to eat crow.

Keep swinging, thorstach, you're bound to connect eventually.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »
I'm going to start making my own predictions, and I predict I will be right many more times than Thorstach.

My prediction:  Thorstach will say that the top is in.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
The top will be in September 19 at 2:02 EDT. 

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »
DJIA needs a slight pullback followed by a further mistimed Thorstach "top is in" call, then onwards and upward beyond 22,000.  Not that it matters at all!

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »
Top Ver 4.0 is in.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
The top will be in September 19 at 2:02 EDT.

Or was that the solar eclipse, I keep forgetting...

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
I've been buying all the tops for a while, and it's been working out for me.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
Looks like we might have another false breakout today.

Every time thorstach calls the top, I make thousands of dollars in the stock market the following day by doing nothing.

Call it again, thorstach!

Either Thorstach can't call the top, or thousands of mustachians are pouring dump truck loads of money into index funds out of spite every time he calls a top.  Maybe a bit of both :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
This thread is in!  OMG so entertaining.  My prediction the Top is never in if you're buy and hold like me.  It just keeps going up and up as long as your timeframe is long term.  Every time I get scared that maybe my strategy is too simple I just need to go back to this thread and I'll feel better knowing that the low fee index fund buy and hold strategy is still the best.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
My new top came in today.  [GROANS.]

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:41:38 AM by MrDelane »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #526 on: August 04, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
This thread is in!  OMG so entertaining.  My prediction the Top is never in if you're buy and hold like me.  It just keeps going up and up as long as your timeframe is long term.  Every time I get scared that maybe my strategy is too simple I just need to go back to this thread and I'll feel better knowing that the low fee index fund buy and hold strategy is still the best.

The top WILL be in when the Vogons arrive. 

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: August 04, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
The top WILL be in when the Vogons arrive.

And they will bring poetry, such as this Ode to Tops:

See, see the old sky
Marvel at its big puce depths.
Tell me, top do you
Wonder why the fartknocker ignores you?
Why its foobly stare
makes you feel slothlike.
I can tell you, it is
Worried by your shimateeboob facial growth
That looks like
A mold
What's more, it knows
Your torque potting shed
Smells of booger.
Everything under the big old sky
Asks why, why do I even bother?
You only charm buttstench.

courtesy of:
http://tonybaldwin.me/pages/vogon.php

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #528 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

https://latest.13d.com/toxic-mix-of-low-volatility-passive-strategies-and-high-leverage-is-reason-for-caution-us-equities-5e92ba0f5fc1

Low volatility could be ‘the quiet before the storm,’” Nobel laureate Robert Shiller told CNBC last week, adding: “I lie awake worrying.” Over the past 20 years, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) has closed below 10 on only 21 days, 13 of which have been in the past two months. The current streak of 270-plus days without a 5% drawdown in any of the major U.S. indices is the longest since 1996. Meanwhile, U.S. equity values continue to diverge from earnings — Schiller’s Cyclically Adjusted PE Ratio (CAPE) has only been higher two times in market history: 1929 and 2000.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: August 04, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »

https://latest.13d.com/toxic-mix-of-low-volatility-passive-strategies-and-high-leverage-is-reason-for-caution-us-equities-5e92ba0f5fc1

Low volatility could be ‘the quiet before the storm,’” Nobel laureate Robert Shiller told CNBC last week, adding: “I lie awake worrying.” Over the past 20 years, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) has closed below 10 on only 21 days, 13 of which have been in the past two months. The current streak of 270-plus days without a 5% drawdown in any of the major U.S. indices is the longest since 1996. Meanwhile, U.S. equity values continue to diverge from earnings — Schiller’s Cyclically Adjusted PE Ratio (CAPE) has only been higher two times in market history: 1929 and 2000.

The problem is you can't tell whether we are like the year 1996 or March 2000. Trying to time the market is impossible and there's nothing anyone can do based on the information you provided.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »
Nobel laureate Robert Shiller told CNBC last week, adding: “I lie awake worrying.”

If the bolded text is true than he needs to revisit his asset allocation and investment plan. That sort of stress is pointless and damaging to your health.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #531 on: August 04, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
Nobel laureate Robert Shiller told CNBC last week, adding: “I lie awake worrying.”

If the bolded text is true than he needs to revisit his asset allocation and investment plan. That sort of stress is pointless and damaging to your health.

Maybe he was planning to retire quietly according to the 4% rule and got enligthed by Runewell's posts?

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:59 PM »

Yep. If you are worried about stocks tanking buy less of them and more bonds. Simple.

respond2u

• Stubble
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »

Yep. If you are worried about stocks tanking buy less of them and more bonds. Simple.

Buy bonds simple? Not sure about that (if you believe Greenspawn).
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-08-10/greenspan-be-afraid-of-pending-bubble-in-bond-market

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #534 on: August 05, 2017, 01:57:12 AM »

Just goes to show that money doesn't make you happy.  Like most financial types, this guys brain has been poisoned by money.

He probably has enough that he could be 100% cash and have 100% success rate, but instead is worrying that he might go from super rich to slightly less super rich.  Depressing.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-08-10/greenspan-be-afraid-of-pending-bubble-in-bond-market

I don't think bonds are going to tank though. They could go down but they won't tank. Also if stocks do tank you'd expect bonds to go up.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: August 05, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »

Just goes to show that money doesn't make you happy.  Like most financial types, this guys brain has been poisoned by money.

He probably has enough that he could be 100% cash and have 100% success rate, but instead is worrying that he might go from super rich to slightly less super rich.  Depressing.

Meditation and affirmations are good antidotes to this kind of stress.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: August 05, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »

I don't think bonds are going to tank though. They could go down but they won't tank. Also if stocks do tank you'd expect bonds to go up.

10 year Treasuries are yielding slightly less than a 5 year CD (FDIC insured) at Synchrony, or Barclays, or Ally, or Goldman Sachs, or Discover bank.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #539 on: August 05, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »
I interpret Shiller's statement as him being worried about how a potential large market crash would affect regular investors and regular workers, not his personal finances.  I would guess that he has his personal finances set comfortably.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »

It's all about the top. The tip top! Cheers to many many many many more tops. :)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #541 on: August 05, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »

Schiller has  been bellyaching about the the equity 'bubble' for at least 3 or 4 years.  It might even be longer than that (time tends to get away from me).  I just heard him as a guest on On Point, and I was cracking up because he was saying identical things to the last time I heard him as a guest on On Point, quite a few years ago.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #542 on: August 05, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Schiller has  been bellyaching about the the equity 'bubble' for at least 3 or 4 years.  It might even be longer than that (time tends to get away from me).  I just heard him as a guest on On Point, and I was cracking up because he was saying identical things to the last time I heard him as a guest on On Point, quite a few years ago.

That's how you become a market expert. Say the same dramatic stuff again and again until one day you are right....then milk that shit for a decade. ;)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #543 on: August 06, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
for those of you eagerly waiting to benefit from my wisdom:

the market breadth (usa) has narrowed since the beginning of 2017, but we still have time. hang seng on the other hand is on relatively shaky grounds. note that the usd may continue to weaken, resulting in lower "real" return even if the market rallies further, especially if you hold mostly unhedged index funds in another currency.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
New Top!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
New Top!!

Whoop.. extra glass of wine with dinner tonight :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
Where is thorstach?  Surely there's a crossing golden X or an inflection in the VIX/P/E mean-to-sigma ratio, or maybe an ascending triangle bouncing off a bump and run reversal.

He's been quiet long enough to have found any and all forms of chartist bullshit in the tea leaves by now.  Meanwhile, I'm up approximately 11% YTD, before dividends or contributions, just by ignoring him.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:15:05 AM by sol »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Where is thorstach?  Surely there's a crossing golden X or an inflection in the VIX/P/E mean-to-sigma ratio, or maybe an ascending triangle bouncing off a bump and run reversal.

He's been quiet long enough to have found any and all forms of chartist bullshit in the tea leaves by now.  Meanwhile, I'm up approximately 11% YTD, before dividends or contributions, just by ignoring him.

He posted in this thread on august 4th, that's not too far back. Same doom and gloom though.