Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134595 times)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #4600 on: June 24, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
Why worry about one company when the entire market is near the highest peak it will ever record?

Well, perhaps TSLA will lead the market into its imminent decline. We shall all see the apocolypse together, just as we now see the glorious but fateful top.

More importantly, will navigating the apocalypse be easier in an EV or a gas-guzzler?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4601 on: June 24, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
I just put $20k more into the market. Wanted to make sure I got it in at the top.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4602 on: June 24, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
I just put $20k more into the market. Wanted to make sure I got it in at the top.

Excellent work. Nicely done.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4603 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
If investing in the stock market was a zero sum game, then I could see why people might be compelled to pick this company or that company or this other company for REASONS, since it would mean that some companies do better at the expense of other companies doing worse. 

But if the whole market is rising and that's a long term feature. then I don't see why people even pay attention to the small stuff of individual performance of a company.  Or even the performance of a sector either.  I mean, do these people not have enough stress in their lives already? 

Of course all that is beside the point because TOP IS IN!!!

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #4604 on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:30 PM »
I was going to quote a post in this thread, but then I saw it was from 2017 and I was on page 1... some things never go out of style.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4605 on: June 24, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »
I was going to quote a post in this thread, but then I saw it was from 2017 and I was on page 1... some things never go out of style.
hadabeardonce:  do it!  Part of this thread has a sub-text of noting how today's "OMG market at all time high" is the  same as ancient "OMG market at all time high".

Pointing out the specifics is always cool.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4606 on: June 24, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
Goddamit. Apparently I actually called the bottom on TSLA.

So, I like Tesla as a company -
@TomTX
Don't. Tesla is a disaster as a company and is headed towards bankruptcy. The stock will be volatile as it heads to zero. But zero is where it's going.

Also Musk is a fraud/con artist who is doing damage to the EV movement through his egregious behavior and massive incompetence. He is proving to the entire industry that the EV market is extremely small and massively loss-making.

Nice - you found the correct thread for overconfidently posting that you're smarter than the market.

First off, you missed the point where I was encouraging the poster not to time the market and buy the stock. And giving him reasons why it's a very risky play even if he thought it would make a temporary reversal upwards.

Second, I used to think that the efficient market hypothesis made sense and that markets were rational. Then I learned, by experience, that those theories have significant limitations. Tesla is possibly the most irrationally valued stock in the market. Definitely among larger firms. It's just a matter of time.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4607 on: June 24, 2019, 09:35:45 PM »

@TomTX
Don't. Tesla is a disaster as a company and is headed towards bankruptcy. The stock will be volatile as it heads to zero. But zero is where it's going.

Also Musk is a fraud/con artist who is doing damage to the EV movement through his egregious behavior and massive incompetence. He is proving to the entire industry that the EV market is extremely small and massively loss-making.

EV is the future, sorry.  Musk is visionary and visionaries are often somewhat eccentric.   But hey, if you can run three companies at the same time, one of which is able to land two apartment buildings side by side after sending them supersonic AND land a third one out in the ocean on a autonomous ship that is bouncing in the waves, then yeah maybe you can cast stones.

Like the average person who only knew what was portrayed in the media I also used to think he was a genius and successful. It took a lot of time and research to learn otherwise. The guy is a grifter who is actually a terrible manager and generally doesn't know what he's talking about. But he's a genius at propaganda and fundraising and taking credit for what other people did in spite of his mismanagement (like the actual engineers who landed the rocket--at a company that's not Tesla BTW). I've been EV only for 5 years. I get it. But the EVs of the future won't be Teslas (unless Ford or someone buys the brand out of bankruptcy and makes them in a different factory).

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4608 on: June 25, 2019, 06:26:10 PM »

@TomTX

Nice - you found the correct thread for overconfidently posting that you're smarter than the market.

First off, you missed the point where I was encouraging the poster not to time the market and buy the stock. And giving him reasons why it's a very risky play even if he thought it would make a temporary reversal upwards.

Second, I used to think that the efficient market hypothesis made sense and that markets were rational. Then I learned, by experience, that those theories have significant limitations. Tesla is possibly the most irrationally valued stock in the market. Definitely among larger firms. It's just a matter of time.

You should probably start a Tesla top is in thread. Might generate some good Spaceman memes.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4609 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:55 PM »
About the only way I know about the market girations is by checking this thread for entertainment.

I love what Tesla is doing for vision and products and generating passion for EVs. I’ve heard enough bad things about working there as an employee that I hope they can stumble upon a more sustainable work culture, or they will have issues. Can’t continue producing awesome products if you can’t attract and retain talent.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4610 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
You should probably start a Tesla top is in thread. Might generate some good Spaceman memes.

I doubt the Tesla top is in. It will continue to move randomly for awhile. I just know where it will go eventually. And the timing is not clear. It probably heads down from here permanently (but not to zero yet) within a few months. But you never know. Many of the people buying the stock are among the most financially illiterate and logically challenged people participating in the public markets. Reading their discourse on the subject makes me pessimistic about humanity. The stock has defied reality for a long time. It could keep doing it for a long time. I don't recommend that anyone short it. But buying it is sheer folly.

I love what Tesla is doing for vision and products and generating passion for EVs. I’ve heard enough bad things about working there as an employee that I hope they can stumble upon a more sustainable work culture, or they will have issues. Can’t continue producing awesome products if you can’t attract and retain talent.

Tesla was great at making EVs sexy for awhile. But I think they are now doing more harm than good because of the horrendous quality (worst in of any manufacturer in the industry). And they are showing other makers that selling EVs is a huge money loser (at least when done with Tesla's incompetence and cost structure). And you are right about Elon creating a terrible work culture. Basically all leadership has fled. Their new CAO lasted for a couple weeks. Their new GC lasted for a couple months. There has been literally over 100% annualized turnover in the higher up executive ranks. The new leadership are all kids who don't have any experience except at Tesla and are easier for Elon to manipulate.

Tides

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4611 on: June 26, 2019, 12:29:54 AM »

I doubt the Tesla top is in. It will continue to move randomly for awhile. I just know where it will go eventually. And the timing is not clear. It probably heads down from here permanently (but not to zero yet) within a few months. But you never know. Many of the people buying the stock are among the most financially illiterate and logically challenged people participating in the public markets. Reading their discourse on the subject makes me pessimistic about humanity. The stock has defied reality for a long time. It could keep doing it for a long time. I don't recommend that anyone short it. But buying it is sheer folly.

Tesla was great at making EVs sexy for awhile. But I think they are now doing more harm than good because of the horrendous quality (worst in of any manufacturer in the industry). And they are showing other makers that selling EVs is a huge money loser (at least when done with Tesla's incompetence and cost structure). And you are right about Elon creating a terrible work culture. Basically all leadership has fled. Their new CAO lasted for a couple weeks. Their new GC lasted for a couple months. There has been literally over 100% annualized turnover in the higher up executive ranks. The new leadership are all kids who don't have any experience except at Tesla and are easier for Elon to manipulate.

Bob Lutz says their panel gaps are now word class ! So there haha! The old Tesla's don't seem to be showing any inordinate poor quality and reliability, double haha! Sandy Munro says the model 3’s electronics, battery, and suspension are in another league, triple haha! The bankruptcy song has been sung for as long as theyve existed, with the stock value and product line continually heading in the opposite direction, quadruple haha!

Also, top is almost in!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4612 on: June 26, 2019, 06:27:30 AM »

The top is in!

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #4613 on: June 26, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
Forummm  tesla top is in....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4614 on: June 26, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
Why worry about one company when the entire market is near the highest peak it will ever record?

Well, perhaps TSLA will lead the market into its imminent decline. We shall all see the apocolypse together, just as we now see the glorious but fateful top.

More importantly, will navigating the apocalypse be easier in an EV or a gas-guzzler?

Dude.  Do you even have to ask?  The bicycle is the premium way to navigate the apocalypse.  All terrain, virtually silent, easier to maintain than a horse, simple to repair or re-purpose to other mechanical tasks. . .

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4615 on: June 26, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »

Dude.  Do you even have to ask?  The bicycle is the premium way to navigate the apocalypse.  All terrain, virtually silent, easier to maintain than a horse, simple to repair or re-purpose to other mechanical tasks. . .

Refined gasoline will be exponentially expensive or will run out and there will nobody on the road to run you over...

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #4616 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »

Two wheeled human power is an honored part of my emergency plans for hurricanes, power outages, civil unrest, and zombies. And for the top.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4617 on: June 26, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »

@TomTX

Undoubtedly

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4618 on: June 26, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »

Only thing is that in the apocalypse the universe will be rolling coal on you. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4619 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

So . . . no significant change?  :P

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4620 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »

So . . . no significant change?  :P

Maybe that was the first of the four horsetruckmen of the apocalypse. 

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4621 on: June 27, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
Here are the other three.

This must mean "The Top is in!"

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4622 on: June 28, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
lol--I just did this right before the recent decline when the top was in.  Then two days later it tanked.  Now it's almost back.  I'm hoping in 30 yrs the top will be in and I can pull it out.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4623 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »

@TomTX

LOL.

Yep, I sure don't see massively more Teslas on the road than any other EV, or even all other EVs combined. Totally don't exist. Tesla didn't have ~80% of BEV sales in the USA last year, if they weren't around the BEV market would totally be much larger.

Oh wait, is it opposite day?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4624 on: June 28, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »
EV is the future, sorry.  Musk is visionary and visionaries are often somewhat eccentric.   But hey, if you can run three companies at the same time, one of which is able to land two apartment buildings side by side after sending them supersonic AND land a third one out in the ocean on a autonomous ship that is bouncing in the waves, then yeah maybe you can cast stones.

To be fair, I don't think they have successfully gotten the 3rd back to port yet.  They did catch a fairing this time, which is mind-boggling.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4625 on: June 28, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »
Here are the other three.

This must mean "The Top is in!"

This could be a scene from a Mad Max movie.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4626 on: June 28, 2019, 06:47:05 PM »
Can we finally declare thorstach the winner over mrpercentage yet?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4627 on: June 28, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »

No, Wednesday is opposite day.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4628 on: June 29, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »

You're assuming they are different people, but anyways thorstach is certainly my favourite, but I'm not sure we could call either of them a winner.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4629 on: July 01, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has noticed today that the market is trying to fake us out with new highs.  Don't be fooled.  Top is in!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4630 on: July 01, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »
I claim fault for the top as I am waiting for one more dividend to be distributed before making my July purchases. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4631 on: July 01, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
Record closing top is IN!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4632 on: July 01, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #4633 on: July 01, 2019, 08:46:29 PM »

You're assuming they are different people, but anyways thorstach is certainly my favourite, but I'm not sure we could call either of them a winner.
I was going to post an epic burn meme. Then I checked the 2018 S&P500 close of day top.  Then I plugged it into an inflation calculator. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Adjusted for inflation, the January 26, 2018 top of $2,872.87 was worth $2,968.20 in May 2019 dollars. Today's top was $2,964.33. TOP HAS BEEN IN ALL ALONG!

Sorry folks, top has been in and thorstach has been winning this whole time. Hope you sold when he said so. Top was in. Like an oscillating tide, that accelerates most rapidly near the center of its course, but advances and recedes ever more slowly near the peaks and troughs, the beginning of the top was in 2018, and now we are at the end of the top. Perhaps more like a tsunami than a tide, for a tide crosses the same ground many times, while a tsunami sets a high water mark that may not be passed for centuries or even a geologic age. Top is in!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4634 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »

I was going to post an epic burn meme. Then I checked the 2018 S&P500 close of day top.  Then I plugged it into an inflation calculator. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Adjusted for inflation, the January 26, 2018 top of $2,872.87 was worth $2,968.20 in May 2019 dollars. Today's top was $2,964.33. TOP HAS BEEN IN ALL ALONG!

Sorry folks, top has been in and thorstach has been winning this whole time. Hope you sold when he said so. Top was in. Like an oscillating tide, that accelerates most rapidly near the center of its course, but advances and recedes ever more slowly near the peaks and troughs, the beginning of the top was in 2018, and now we are at the end of the top. Perhaps more like a tsunami than a tide, for a tide crosses the same ground many times, while a tsunami sets a high water mark that may not be passed for centuries or even a geologic age. Top is in!

I’d just like to point out that I retired on January 31, 2018. So, basically, I have caused the top. As long as I never go back to work, the top will continue to be in.

Is there any flaw in this logic? I’m pretty sure the world revolves around what I do an think, IMHO.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #4635 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
Are you trying to extort us?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4636 on: July 02, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »

Why choose 1/26/18?  thorstach called the top on 4/11/17.

Cherrypicking data top is in.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #4637 on: July 02, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
I live in a wealthy suburb outside New York. Teslas are very common here. There are virtually no other electric vehicles. Wealthy areas in California are the same. I asked a friend if they were buying a Tesla and she said, no, they are just too common. Elon Musk is also running the most advanced rocket company in the world. So, while I am not buying their stock, your comments seem ludicrous from here.

@TomTX

LOL.

Yep, I sure don't see massively more Teslas on the road than any other EV, or even all other EVs combined. Totally don't exist. Tesla didn't have ~80% of BEV sales in the USA last year, if they weren't around the BEV market would totally be much larger.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4638 on: July 02, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »

I’d just like to point out that I retired on January 31, 2018. So, basically, I have caused the top. As long as I never go back to work, the top will continue to be in.

Is there any flaw in this logic? I’m pretty sure the world revolves around what I do an think, IMHO.

Wow, that's epic market timing. Congrats!

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4639 on: July 02, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »
Like an oscillating tide, that accelerates most rapidly near the center of its course, but advances and recedes ever more slowly near the peaks and troughs, the beginning of the top was in 2018, and now we are at the end of the top. Perhaps more like a tsunami than a tide, for a tide crosses the same ground many times, while a tsunami sets a high water mark that may not be passed for centuries or even a geologic age. Top is in!

*sniff* That was beautiful, man.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4640 on: July 02, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
Numerical top was yesterday.. I sold some VTSAX at the close...:)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4641 on: July 02, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »

Cherry top is in

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4642 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
I live in a wealthy suburb outside New York. Teslas are very common here. There are virtually no other electric vehicles. Wealthy areas in California are the same. I asked a friend if they were buying a Tesla and she said, no, they are just too common. Elon Musk is also running the most advanced rocket company in the world. So, while I am not buying their stock, your comments seem ludicrous from here.

@TomTX

LOL.

I've started seeing a Teslas around here recently, too.  This area is more upper middle class than rich and not particularly environmentally conscious.  I don't know how well Tesla is run as a company, but they are definitely selling product. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #4643 on: July 02, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »

You only say that because you don't want to believe that Top is in

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #4644 on: July 02, 2019, 02:06:35 PM »
A classic on timing the market from thorstach - how to miss a 25% real return!

SP Calculator
Starting Month April      Starting Year 2017   
Ending Month June   Ending Year   2019
Adjust for Inflation (CPI)? Yes

Total S&P 500 Return   
19.791%
Annualized S&P 500 Return   
8.691%
Total S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested)   
24.243%
Annualized S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested)   
10.537%
Inflation Adjusted (CPI)?   
Yes

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4645 on: July 02, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
A classic on timing the market from thorstach - how to miss a 25% real return!

SP Calculator
Starting Month April      Starting Year 2017   
Ending Month June   Ending Year   2019
Adjust for Inflation (CPI)? Yes

Total S&P 500 Return   
19.791%
Annualized S&P 500 Return   
8.691%
Total S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested)   
24.243%
Annualized S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested)   
10.537%
Inflation Adjusted (CPI)?   
Yes

You are trying to use numbers to confuse us. I don’t feel like this post can be true. The top has been in all along, so obviously the return is zero. You can’t argue with this logic.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4646 on: July 02, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
I told yesterday was the top!.. Wait a minute...

MrStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4647 on: July 03, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
Top is in!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4648 on: July 03, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »
Top is in!

2,999.99 will be the top

You heard it here first