Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134447 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #4450 on: May 06, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
I enjoyed some great goat cheese this past weekend. Was I channeling our fearless leader @thorstache?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4451 on: May 06, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
Isn’t that technically a TRIPLE GOAT MOAT?  I agree with techwiz that it appears we are in for a quadruple goat moat and beyond.  The top will always be in, of course, but there’s no law saying the top can’t get higher over time.  Fight me

shame on you. go wash your mouth out with soap.

the top is IN

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4452 on: May 06, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
Isn’t that technically a TRIPLE GOAT MOAT?  I agree with techwiz that it appears we are in for a quadruple goat moat and beyond.  The top will always be in, of course, but there’s no law saying the top can’t get higher over time.  Fight me

the top is IN

GOAT soap

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4453 on: May 06, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

the top is IN

GOAT soap

Double goat soap?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4454 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4455 on: May 07, 2019, 08:20:30 AM »
Any more GOAT jokes and I'll need a few of these

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4456 on: May 07, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
The anticipation of the view from the top is always so exciting, until you realize it was just a false summit.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4457 on: May 07, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »
So much topping in this thread.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #4458 on: May 07, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
I shorted the everything bubble in paralell to my buy and hold portfolio.

I made 4% in 1 day, a total of €46. I am the next Michael Burry. Whoop Whoop!

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #4459 on: May 07, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
The anticipation of the view from the top is always so exciting, until you realize it was just a false summit.

When cli(mb)-max turns into cry-max
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:18:05 PM by Kem »

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4460 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
I shorted the everything bubble in paralell to my buy and hold portfolio.

I made 4% in 1 day, a total of €46. I am the next Michael Burry. Whoop Whoop!

When a builder shorts stocks, the top is in!

Lol

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4461 on: May 10, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4462 on: May 13, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
So I'm assuming everyone's too busy selling off their portfolios to talk about how the Top Is In

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4463 on: May 13, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
So I'm assuming everyone's too busy selling off their portfolios to talk about how the Top Is In

The top WAS in. Thorstach called it. Now it's time for the sudden and inevitable decline.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4464 on: May 13, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
I sold my emerging markets because they are too cheap now, will buy them again when the are at the top again like a good typically stock investor.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4465 on: May 13, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.

I sold off as soon as I read this. Still waiting for the bottom so I can finally buy back in.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4466 on: May 13, 2019, 01:43:29 PM »
I’m at Schroedinger’s top. I’m not going to check anything until I get statements in July. Right now, I am experiencing both the top and the bottom simultaneously.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4467 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
I’m at Schroedinger’s top. I’m not going to check anything until I get statements in July. Right now, I am experiencing both the top and the bottom simultaneously.

69?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4468 on: May 13, 2019, 02:42:42 PM »

69?

Ah, a physics joke and a sex joke as a reply.. Awesome..:)

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #4469 on: May 13, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »

69?

Ah, a physics joke and a sex joke as a reply.. Awesome..:)

Kind of like a Mobius striptease.  The third dimension is overrated.  A two dimensional stripper just turns her clothes inside out.

Mobius top/bottom is in/out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:10:54 PM by ILikeDividends »

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #4470 on: May 13, 2019, 04:39:12 PM »
Saturday my 7-day annualized loss was about 75%, so I missed the top and am panicking since it's going to be worse after the NAVs update today.

Oh wait no I'm not because I have long term AA plans and expect this kind of thing occasionally and will stuff my normal portion into my next paycheck as scheduled no matter where the market is then.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4471 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »
Saturday my 7-day annualized loss was about 75%, so I missed the top and am panicking since it's going to be worse after the NAVs update today.

Oh wait no I'm not because I have long term AA plans and expect this kind of thing occasionally and will stuff my normal portion into my next paycheck as scheduled no matter where the market is then.

As JL.Collins pointed out referring to a study done by Fidelity. The investors that had made the best returns over time.. They were dead! Literally..:)

Moral of the story?.. Don't do anything, except keep investing if you have a pulse!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4472 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »

As JL.Collins pointed out referring to a study done by Fidelity. The investors that had made the best returns over time.. They were dead! Literally..:)

Moral of the story?.. Don't do anything, except keep investing if you have a pulse!

Yeah, that whole thing about the Fidelity study was made up.  It never really happened.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4473 on: May 13, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »

Yeah, that whole thing about the Fidelity study was made up.  It never really happened.

Well thats a bummer..

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4474 on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:19 PM »

Pretty sure this is also published in A Random Walk Down Wall Street, at least the most recent edition.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4475 on: May 13, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »

Pretty sure this is also published in A Random Walk Down Wall Street, at least the most recent edition.

Then I guess they also published something that didn't happen.

"Fidelity, which has received inquiries about the study ever since, without knowing why, told me this week that it had never produced such a study."

http://financialuproar.com/2016/08/30/remember-fidelity-study-said-dead-investors-best/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/your-money/401k-retirement-plan-investment-stock-markets.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:03:03 PM by HBFIRE »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4476 on: May 13, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
Keeping up with this thread is about my only indication of whether the market is fluctuating up or down at the moment.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4477 on: May 13, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »
Keeping up with this thread is about my only indication of whether the market is fluctuating up or down at the moment.

It's always fluctuating up or down.

Fluctuating Top Is In.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #4478 on: May 14, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »

Then I guess they also published something that didn't happen.

"Fidelity, which has received inquiries about the study ever since, without knowing why, told me this week that it had never produced such a study."

http://financialuproar.com/2016/08/30/remember-fidelity-study-said-dead-investors-best/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/your-money/401k-retirement-plan-investment-stock-markets.html
This should be an entry as a part of a "Finance Myths" wiki, right below "thorstach said the top was in on April 11, 2017 at 8:26 AM"

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4479 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
Finally got my solo 401k/CBP plan up, and will be funded with 3 months of (patiently) waiting contributions at the EOB today, so I'm calling the top will be in today.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4480 on: May 14, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
This should be an entry as a part of a "Finance Myths" wiki, right below "thorstach said the top was in on April 11, 2017 at 8:26 AM"

Not even touching your disparagement of thorstach, but it is a verifiable fact that he said the top was in at that date and time.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4481 on: May 14, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »

*gasp* Unbeliever!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4482 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »

Not even touching your disparagement of thorstach, but it is a verifiable fact that he said the top was in at that date and time.

Fake news!  Fake top!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4483 on: May 14, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »

Fake news!  Fake top!

No! Heretic!  Fake news, REAL top!

Top is in!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4484 on: May 14, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »

Fake news!  Fake top!

No! Heretic!  Fake news, REAL top!

Top is in!

What does it even mean for the top to be in? I think we may not be comprehending the full metaphysical nature of Thorstach’s teaching. This myopic focus on numbers and charts is narrowing our thinking too much.

I for one will lock myself in a dark room and meditate on the nature of the eternal top.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #4485 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
What does it even mean for the top to be in? I think we may not be comprehending the full metaphysical nature of Thorstach’s teaching. This myopic focus on numbers and charts is narrowing our thinking too much.

I for one will lock myself in a dark room and meditate on the nature of the eternal top.
Someone beat you to it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc

- Hunter S. Thompson

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4486 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

Someone beat you to it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc

- Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe we should build a toppist monastery devoted to meditating on the true nature of the top. 

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4487 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
Here, you are always at the top!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4488 on: May 15, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
Why limit ourselves to earth we have a whole universe to find the top of.

Universal Top is in!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4489 on: May 15, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »

Universal Top is in!
Ah, but “top” is so arbitrary! It’s not like there is a fixed coordinate system inherent in the universe. I shall simply define mine differently than yours so that your top is now my bottom so I can carry on investing.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #4490 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
Ill raise everyone a universal top with a Double carrot Top

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4491 on: May 15, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »

Universal Top is in!
Ah, but “top” is so arbitrary! It’s not like there is a fixed coordinate system inherent in the universe. I shall simply define mine differently than yours so that your top is now my bottom so I can carry on investing.

I’ve decided to only define my tops in non-inertial reference frames. Even the position of the top and the bottom within the frame is no longer fixed.

Everything depends on Coriolis.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4492 on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
Maybe we should build a toppist monastery devoted to meditating on the true nature of the top.

As long as the toppist monastery has toppist monks brewing toppist beer, I'm in.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4493 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
I’ve decided to only define my tops in non-inertial reference frames. Even the position of the top and the bottom within the frame is no longer fixed.

Non-inertial reference frames are for simpletons who believe in momentum; I've decided to only define my tops in relativistic reference frames.  Time is an illusion and length is a function of your velocity.  Eventually, all tops will succumb to space-time inversions and be physically unable to share information with the rest of the universe, making them irrelevant. 

Entropic expansion is forever.  The top is never in.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4494 on: May 15, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »

The singularity is in!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4495 on: May 15, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »

Non-inertial reference frames are for simpletons who believe in momentum; I've decided to only define my tops in relativistic reference frames.  Time is an illusion and length is a function of your velocity.  Eventually, all tops will succumb to space-time inversions and be physically unable to share information with the rest of the universe, making them irrelevant. 

I tried a relativistic frame once. The math was too hard for me so I decided I would need to change my assumptions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4496 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »

I tried a relativistic frame once. The math was too hard for me so I decided I would need to change my assumptions.
Come now, do you really expect me to do coordinate substitution in my head while strapped to a centrifuge?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4497 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »

Come now, do you really expect me to do coordinate substitution in my head while strapped to a centrifuge?

No, dragoncar. I expect you to die.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4498 on: May 15, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »

No, dragoncar. I expect you to die.
Lol

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4499 on: May 15, 2019, 03:12:13 PM »

Thy was pretty much how I did my undergrad in ChemE for all of the hairy second order differential terms in subjects like fluid dynamics: just assume something that makes them go to zero.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!