Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134477 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3750 on: November 05, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

D size will probably be even more appropriate once all is said and done.

They'll double as currency and a weapon when I start chunking them at people?
A fellow Philadelphian????

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3751 on: November 05, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Dow <24,000 by closing bell on Monday.......calling it ;)

Which Monday and in which currency?  ;-)
The Dow is measured in points.

Upcoming Monday.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Nope! Next prediction?

Prediction top is in?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3752 on: November 05, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »

Gritty top is in?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3753 on: November 05, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »

Nah.  A resourceful southerner.  Kind of wish I'd had one the last time I was in Philly though. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3754 on: November 05, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »
Nope! Next prediction?

Prediction top is in?

Hey now, let's not get ahead of yourselves.  The day is not yet over, and 2b1s made a prediction of djia 24k by the closing bell.  It could still drop 6% in the next 3 hours.  Could.  Seems pretty unlikely, though.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3755 on: November 05, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
Pennies are made from copper. Copper Top is in!

Pennies have been 97.5% zinc for the last 36 years (since late 1982).  The older copper pennies are worth 2 to 3 cents each in the intrinsic value of the metal.

Modern Nickels on the other hand are 75% copper.

Arbitrage opportunity?  Not unless you want to risk going to jail.  It has been illegal to melt US coins since 2006. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3756 on: November 05, 2018, 11:58:51 AM »
That's why I stopped throwing my change into an active volcano.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3757 on: November 05, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
Copper Top is in!

So if I follow you correctly, these are the new currency that will replace both dollars and gold in the coming afterscape?

Now 20 for 16!

I'd trade 16 batteries for 20 any day. Where do I find this deal?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3758 on: November 05, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
Copper Top is in!

So if I follow you correctly, these are the new currency that will replace both dollars and gold in the coming afterscape?

Yes.  Except they should be AA instead of AAA.  I swear my kid goes through them so fast that the only explanation I've got is that he's somehow mining bitcoin with his Nintendo.

Get the eneloop (or similar) nicad rechargeable ones.  They are awesome but I don’t have enough battery consumption to really justify it. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3759 on: November 05, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
Copper Top is in!

Yes.  Except they should be AA instead of AAA.  I swear my kid goes through them so fast that the only explanation I've got is that he's somehow mining bitcoin with his Nintendo.

Get the eneloop (or similar) nicad rechargeable ones.  They are awesome but I don’t have enough battery consumption to really justify it.

The eneloops are Ni-MH, not NiCad. NiCad batteries suck. I agree that the eneloop batteries are awesome.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3760 on: November 05, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »
Copper Top is in!

The eneloops are Ni-MH, not NiCad. NiCad batteries suck. I agree that the eneloop batteries are awesome.

I'll definitely check them out.  I remembered how bad NiCad sucked, so I hadn't even considered them.  The battery thing is new too.  We'd kind of limited the number of battery operated toys he had when he was younger. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3761 on: November 05, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »
Copper Top is in!

I'll definitely check them out.  I remembered how bad NiCad sucked, so I hadn't even considered them.  The battery thing is new too.  We'd kind of limited the number of battery operated toys he had when he was younger.

Might take this even further OT, but it would not surprise me, over the next generation, if things other than 'money' became high-value.  Money is sorta 1-D, like people with billions can somehow lord over tech genius who command future thought via online sharing. 

Having the future's thoughts is much more valuable than some static store of value that decays as the days pass.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3762 on: November 06, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »

Crap thanks for correcting that.  I feel like they avoid mentioning the chemistry because nicads sucked so much and I just made it worse!

Once you have a compatible charger, I know amazon sells amazon basic versions of those batteries sometimes at good discounts
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:04:50 AM by dragoncar »

BSL18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3763 on: November 06, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
Quote from: dragoncar

Crap thanks for correcting that.  I feel like they avoid mentioning the chemistry because nicads sucked so much and I just made it worse!

Once you have a compatible charger, I know amazon sells amazon basic versions of those batteries sometimes at good discounts

We'll need someone to call the Ni-MH bottom though... Not there yet:

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3764 on: November 06, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »

No problem. My grandfather was really into R/C planes so I learned a lot about dealing with NiCad batteries from an early age. You'd think that era was behind us but some products still try to sneak in NiCad batteries as cost-cutting measures (electric toothbrushes, for example). I had to go out of my way to find an electric toothbrush with Li-Ion batteries.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3765 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
Nope! Next prediction?

Prediction top is in?

Hey now, let's not get ahead of yourselves.  The day is not yet over, and 2b1s made a prediction of djia 24k by the closing bell.  It could still drop 6% in the next 3 hours.  Could.  Seems pretty unlikely, though.

Okay, now we can say that 2birds1stone was definitely wrong with their prediction.  The dow closed at 25,460, meaning their target price was 6% too low.  I hope nobody shorted the market based on this advice, or you've lost your shirt.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3766 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
Nope! Next prediction?

Prediction top is in?

Okay, now we can say that 2birds1stone was definitely wrong with their prediction.  The dow closed at 25,460, meaning their target price was 6% too low.  I hope nobody shorted the market based on this advice, or you've lost your shirt.

No shirt. No shoes. No Top.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3767 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »

No problem. My grandfather was really into R/C planes so I learned a lot about dealing with NiCad batteries from an early age. You'd think that era was behind us but some products still try to sneak in NiCad batteries as cost-cutting measures (electric toothbrushes, for example). I had to go out of my way to find an electric toothbrush with Li-Ion batteries.

Thanks also for fixing my quotes.  Quote top is in

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3768 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom?

The Dow is up 4% in two days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Or is the top in again and we're supposed to be headed back down now?  I can never keep track.

After today's post-election market pop, we're up more than 6% in seven trading days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Did I miss it?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3769 on: November 07, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom?

The Dow is up 4% in two days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Or is the top in again and we're supposed to be headed back down now?  I can never keep track.

After today's post-election market pop, we're up more than 6% in seven trading days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Did I miss it?

Is it in the bottom yet?

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3770 on: November 07, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »
Saw this article yesterday regarding midterms. Not saying anything in it is actionable, but if the trend holds true, 2019 could be a very good year.

Opinion: This is what’s happened to stocks after every midterm election since World War II

Relevant numbers quoted below:

Since 1946, there have been 18 midterm elections. Stocks were higher 12 months after every single one. Every single one. That’s 18 for 18. Even though we’ve had every possible political combination in the past 72 years.

Since 1946, stocks have risen an average of 17% in the year after a midterm. And if you measure from the yearly midterm lows, the results are even better. From their lows, stocks jumped an average of 32% over the next 12 months. For perspective, that’s more than double the average performance for stocks in all years. We’re also entering the third year of a presidential term, which is historically the strongest year for stocks.

Look at the chart above, and you’ll notice the second year of the presidential cycle is typically the worst for stocks. That’s the year we’re in right now — the year when midterms occur.

There’s one last important point you should know. Leading up to midterms, U.S. stocks typically perform poorly. From January to October in midterm years, they drop an average of roughly 1%. In all other years, stocks rise roughly 7% in that time frame.

S&P 3400 next year?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:53:01 PM by fattest_foot »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3771 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
I have to top up my cash reserves before the end of the year so if we could please get to 3000 on the S&P by about mid December that would be very nice thankyou..:)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3772 on: November 07, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »
Saw this article yesterday regarding midterms. Not saying anything in it is actionable, but if the trend holds true, 2019 could be a very good year.

Opinion: This is what’s happened to stocks after every midterm election since World War II

Relevant numbers quoted below:

Since 1946, there have been 18 midterm elections. Stocks were higher 12 months after every single one. Every single one. That’s 18 for 18. Even though we’ve had every possible political combination in the past 72 years.

Since 1946, stocks have risen an average of 17% in the year after a midterm. And if you measure from the yearly midterm lows, the results are even better. From their lows, stocks jumped an average of 32% over the next 12 months. For perspective, that’s more than double the average performance for stocks in all years. We’re also entering the third year of a presidential term, which is historically the strongest year for stocks.

Look at the chart above, and you’ll notice the second year of the presidential cycle is typically the worst for stocks. That’s the year we’re in right now — the year when midterms occur.

There’s one last important point you should know. Leading up to midterms, U.S. stocks typically perform poorly. From January to October in midterm years, they drop an average of roughly 1%. In all other years, stocks rise roughly 7% in that time frame.

S&P 3400 next year?

The moat goat entrails say that the top is in!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3773 on: November 07, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
I have to top up my cash reserves before the end of the year so if we could please get to 3000 on the S&P by about mid December that would be very nice thankyou..:)

Cash top?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3774 on: November 07, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
My 401k has been out of the market for the past week as I go through the torturous process of transferring it to my current employer’s Vanguard 401k plan. I’d like to request that the bottom comes in on Thursday or Friday of this week so I can buy back in on a low and then take advantage of this amazing post-midterm elections tally that the goat entrails have predicted.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3775 on: November 07, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
My 401k has been out of the market for the past week as I go through the torturous process of transferring it to my current employer’s Vanguard 401k plan. I’d like to request that the bottom comes in on Thursday or Friday of this week so I can buy back in on a low and then take advantage of this amazing post-midterm elections tally that the goat entrails have predicted.

Bummer but I can say that everytime (except twice) that I have tried to time the market I was way off. The two times I got it kind of right was rebalancing last week .. two days after the bottom and Brexit.. one day too early that I dumped about $125k cash into stocks..Made a lot of money off that call.

I'm sure anything I have made due to market timing (twice) has been offset by getting it wrong... often..:)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3776 on: November 07, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

Bummer but I can say that everytime (except twice) that I have tried to time the market I was way off. The two times I got it kind of right was rebalancing last week .. two days after the bottom and Brexit.. one day too early that I dumped about $125k cash into stocks..Made a lot of money off that call.

I'm sure anything I have made due to market timing (twice) has been offset by getting it wrong... often..:)
Shit - I missed my re-balancing timing. Supposed to do it at the beginning of November. Haven't even checked if it is very far off.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3777 on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »

Obviously not everyone is getting it - there is no bottom.  The Top is in, and all stocks are doomed forever to be worth less day by day until they are worth nothing and they will never sell for a single cent again.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3778 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
Should I be buying gold or beanie babies with my 401k money then?

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3779 on: November 07, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »

Why choose between the two?

Gold-plated beanie baby top is in!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:37:01 PM by ILikeDividends »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3780 on: November 07, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »

Oh man!  If only I could get a digital crypto version of this

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3781 on: November 07, 2018, 07:42:27 PM »

img

Good news everyone! you can make a digital crypto version of this with the open source software

Just ask these guys how they did it - https://dogecoin.com/

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3782 on: November 07, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »

img

Good news everyone! you can make a digital crypto version of this with the open source software

Very News!  Much Wow!

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3783 on: November 07, 2018, 10:44:57 PM »

img

Very News!  Much Wow!

Doge no good. Cryptokitties the best. https://www.cryptokitties.co

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3784 on: November 09, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
November top is definitely in =D

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3785 on: November 09, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »

img

Very News!  Much Wow!

Doge no good. Cryptokitties the best. https://www.cryptokitties.co

Bonsaikitties > Cryptokitties

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3786 on: November 11, 2018, 04:57:15 AM »
I started investing for retirement midyear and both my 401k and HSA have negative returns. Can confirm top is in.

You're just a pup. Be patient.

LOL - I was skimming kinda fast and read the above as:

You're just a pup. Be sentient.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3787 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3788 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3789 on: November 12, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3790 on: November 12, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
Gosh you think that markets pulling back is.. wait for it... NORMAL?..:)

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3791 on: November 12, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
How do I delete this thread?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3792 on: November 12, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
UH, did you read the most recent piece?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3793 on: November 12, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
How do I delete this thread?

Hack into the mainframe.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3794 on: November 12, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
paging COBOL programmers!

There should be tons from the massive layoff last week.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3795 on: November 12, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
UH, did you read the most recent piece?

started to. he could have done a copy and paste from any of his articles from the last 9 years. all says the same.

his hedge fund needs a 50% crash to get the returns back to what would then be the new average.

you can't doubt his smarts or his thought process. Its erudite and well evaluated.
His timing stinks though. has done forever. He has no crystal ball. He''ll be right eventually (maybe not to the 2/3rds price crash) but it could be another 15 or 20 years.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #3796 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
I think I missed the top :-D

How was it?

Btw and to be honest: I think this might be a bear market without a major recession. I think it's ok if valuations come down, especially for someone at the beginning of his investment "career" like me. I mean, it looks bad on my monthly statement now, but it has no practical implications.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3797 on: November 12, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
I think I missed the top :-D

How was it?

Btw and to be honest: I think this might be a bear market without a major recession. I think it's ok if valuations come down, especially for someone at the beginning of his investment "career" like me. I mean, it looks bad on my monthly statement now, but it has no practical implications.

Just wait for when this happens at the start of your retirement like me!... You won't be smiling then! Except you will cus you'll have north of $4M and can look back and say "thank God I stayed in the market and didn't pull out when a scary article showed up"..:)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3798 on: November 12, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
I'm just wondering, at this point, what the 'this isn't the top' adherents are thinking?  Earnings are going to keep going up because tax cuts were just the tip of the iceberg?  I dunno, I can't think of much.  Markets just always go up?

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #3799 on: November 12, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
Santa Top is not yet in!