Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134434 times)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3700 on: October 30, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
I absolutely cannot wait for @thorstach to one day start a "bottom is in" thread.  Of course we might all be dead by then, you know with the Top being in and all

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3701 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
The tea leaf pattern was auspicious this morning. It clearly means that vital things must be done in a certain way at a certain time and before another time.
 Also, the moon.

LOL. And falling sky.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3702 on: October 31, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
"Top is In" by definition means the market can never again go above that level. 2941 will be the S & P "Top" for eternity.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3703 on: October 31, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Ok so now we know without doubt the top was in. What about the bottom? Should we start a new thread?
At the risk of presuming to speak for all readers of this thread, I don't think anyone would trust the credibility of such a thread, unless it was started by @thorstach himself.

You can speak for me, this was my very first thought on the matter.

I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom? I assume we are headed for 0 eventually, perhaps thorstach will let us know ahead of time when the 0 is coming?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3704 on: October 31, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »
Y'all disrespecting the bear market as called by our resident expert.
Top disrespect.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3705 on: October 31, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Ok so now we know without doubt the top was in. What about the bottom? Should we start a new thread?
At the risk of presuming to speak for all readers of this thread, I don't think anyone would trust the credibility of such a thread, unless it was started by @thorstach himself.

You can speak for me, this was my very first thought on the matter.

I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom? I assume we are headed for 0 eventually, perhaps thorstach will let us know ahead of time when the 0 is coming?
Are you so naive that you believe that zero is the bottom?  We can go far lower than that!  TOP IS IN.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3706 on: October 31, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
Up we go! will it stick nobody knows! Good Trading market . Not this guy anymore!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3707 on: October 31, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
"The Road" is in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3708 on: October 31, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
"The Road" is in.

So . . . top depressing?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3709 on: October 31, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
I saw a real estate sign with an add on saying "Price Reduced" in SEATTLE of all places. Top is clearly in. Sell now before it's too late!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3710 on: October 31, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
I saw a real estate sign with an add on saying "Price Reduced" in SEATTLE of all places. Top is clearly in. Sell now before it's too late!

Does this mean that actual human beings might be able to afford to live in Seattle at some point in the not too distant future?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3711 on: October 31, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »

Does this mean that actual human beings might be able to afford to live in Seattle at some point in the not too distant future?

Not unless there is a BIG correction.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3712 on: October 31, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

The west coast it totally affordable, just look at this "one bed, one bath" luxury apartment for only $2700/m not including utilities

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3713 on: October 31, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »

The west coast it totally affordable, just look at this "one bed, one bath" luxury apartment for only $2700/m not including utilities
Top Bunk is In!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3714 on: November 01, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »

Top Bunk is In!

Bottom Bunk underwater!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3715 on: November 01, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »

Is it weird that I really like that layout?  I could make that plus a small living room/kitchen and a bike shed work I think.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3716 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:34 AM »
The bottom bunk is a water bed!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3717 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom?

The Dow is up 4% in two days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Or is the top in again and we're supposed to be headed back down now?  I can never keep track.

Fortunately, I'm an index investor and I don't have to keep track.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3718 on: November 01, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
Does a bear market shit in the woods?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3719 on: November 01, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
Does a bear market shit in the woods?

Does a market shit in the woods, bear?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3720 on: November 01, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
I do wonder though, how would one call the bottom?

The Dow is up 4% in two days.  Is the bottom in yet?  Or is the top in again and we're supposed to be headed back down now?  I can never keep track.

Fortunately, I'm an index investor and I don't have to keep track.

“JP Morgan's chart expert says if the S&P 500 can stay above 2,700, the market comeback is for real”

Well that’s some tautaulogical thinking there from the brillian minds at chase

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #3721 on: November 01, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
“JP Morgan's chart expert says if the S&P 500 can stay above 2,700, the market comeback is for real”

Well that’s some tautaulogical thinking there from the brillian minds at chase

How does one get hired by one of the biggest banks in the world to do the modern equivalent of divining from goat entrails?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3722 on: November 01, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
PHD in physics and an MBA in Quantitative Finance should qualify you.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3723 on: November 01, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
PHD in physics and an MBA in Quantitative Finance should qualify you.

Education top is in?

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #3724 on: November 01, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
PHD in physics

A dead cat approaches the ground at 5m/s...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3725 on: November 01, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »
PHD in physics

Was Schrodinger it's owner?  How sure are we of the death of the cat?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3726 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
PHD in physics

Is the cat approaching the ground or are both the cat and the ground being pulled upwards?

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3727 on: November 01, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
PHD in physics

Is the cat approaching the ground or are both the cat and the ground being pulled upwards?

The answer to that is all relative.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #3728 on: November 01, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
PHD in physics

The answer to that is all relative.
Seems speculative... cats falling from atop castles in the sky

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3729 on: November 01, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
AAPL top is in.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3730 on: November 01, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3731 on: November 01, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3732 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
AAPL top is in.

Apparently Apple information top is in as well.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/01/apple-will-no-longer-report-iphone-mac-and-ipad-unit-sales

Excuse me while I pull Occams Razor out of my arse.

I take it unit sales growth is not going well anymore?

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3733 on: November 03, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
I started investing for retirement midyear and both my 401k and HSA have negative returns. Can confirm top is in.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:42:54 AM by Crease »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3734 on: November 03, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
I started investing for retirement midyear and both my 401k and HSA have negative returns. Can confirm top is in.

You're just a pup. Be patient.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3735 on: November 03, 2018, 08:00:31 AM »

You're just a pup. Be patient.

Not just a pup, but a lucky dog!   You just started and now the stocks you are buying are 10% off!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3736 on: November 03, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
I just saw this video about demographics and the economy.  It told me that the baby boomers are going whole hog into retirement.  In order to get money to live, they are selling their equities driving stock market prices down.  This thing already happened to Japan.  The retirement 401k's have artificially driven the price of equities up.  Retired people spend less, this slows the economy and drives equity prices down.  The younger millennials and generation X people have debt up the yazoo due to education.  They can't keep the equity prices up.  In addition, the pay they get is less in real dollars. so they can't invest in equities to keep the price up.

It made a lot of sense.

Yep, the time has come.  The chicken du du has hit the fan.  Enjoy the ride down.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3737 on: November 03, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
I lost millions, of pennies.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3738 on: November 03, 2018, 11:31:39 PM »
I lost millions, of pennies.

Found them!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3739 on: November 04, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
Pennies are made from copper. Copper Top is in!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3740 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
Copper Top is in!

So if I follow you correctly, these are the new currency that will replace both dollars and gold in the coming afterscape?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3741 on: November 05, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »
I just saw this video about demographics and the economy.  It told me that the baby boomers are going whole hog into retirement.  In order to get money to live, they are selling their equities driving stock market prices down.  This thing already happened to Japan.  The retirement 401k's have artificially driven the price of equities up.  Retired people spend less, this slows the economy and drives equity prices down.  The younger millennials and generation X people have debt up the yazoo due to education.  They can't keep the equity prices up.  In addition, the pay they get is less in real dollars. so they can't invest in equities to keep the price up.

It made a lot of sense.

Yep, the time has come.  The chicken du du has hit the fan.  Enjoy the ride down.

There's some truth to this with the data about earnings/debt of millennials as compared to boomers at the same age. The real error, though, is lumping Xers in with millennials, because they're not at all the same.

Xers never had the same level of student loan debt. Yeah, they had more than boomers, and they were fed the same "you'll always make more with a degree" that older millennials were, but we didn't hit real college cost top until well after Xers were out of school. Plus, Xers have known since their early careers that their employers will not provide for their retirement. More retirement savings in defined contribution plans pushes equities up more than defined benefit plans, because defined benefit plans are paid for in part by current earnings; not everything is coming from investments.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #3742 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »

It made a lot of sense.

There's some truth to this with the data about earnings/debt of millennials as compared to boomers at the same age. The real error, though, is lumping Xers in with millennials, because they're not at all the same.

Xers never had the same level of student loan debt. Yeah, they had more than boomers, and they were fed the same "you'll always make more with a degree" that older millennials were, but we didn't hit real college cost top until well after Xers were out of school. Plus, Xers have known since their early careers that their employers will not provide for their retirement. More retirement savings in defined contribution plans pushes equities up more than defined benefit plans, because defined benefit plans are paid for in part by current earnings; not everything is coming from investments.

Another factor here is the difference in numbers between these groupings.  There are fewer Gen X'ers than Millenials, and they aren't making more of either ;)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3743 on: November 05, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »

It made a lot of sense.

In all honesty, this would be the perfect storm for me.  I'm 20 years from retirement and a long term stock sale would be ideal right now. 

I also realize how lucky I am to be one of those fabled older millennials (look up the Oregon Trail generation to see what I really consider myself) who made it through college (twice!) without any loans and graduated the first time before the Great Shitshow of 2008-2009.  My only-slightly-younger brother graduated college in 2008 and will probably never work in his chosen field.  Public Relations was one of the first things cut and now that things are looking up companies are looking to hire people with that new grad smell instead of the guys who have been working as bank tellers and pest control guys for the last ten years.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3744 on: November 05, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
Copper Top is in!

So if I follow you correctly, these are the new currency that will replace both dollars and gold in the coming afterscape?

Yes.  Except they should be AA instead of AAA.  I swear my kid goes through them so fast that the only explanation I've got is that he's somehow mining bitcoin with his Nintendo.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3745 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
I also realize how lucky I am to be one of those fabled older millennials (look up the Oregon Trail generation to see what I really consider myself) who made it through college (twice!) without any loans and graduated the first time before the Great Shitshow of 2008-2009.  My only-slightly-younger brother graduated college in 2008 and will probably never work in his chosen field.

Similar story here. I got two degrees with minimal loans, graduating for the second time in Dec. 2007. However, my brother, who graduated 3 years later, is in better shape than I am. We both landed good jobs and bought houses right out of college. I bought in January 2008. He bought in April 2010. You can probably guess how that turned out for each of us.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3746 on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »
I also realize how lucky I am to be one of those fabled older millennials (look up the Oregon Trail generation to see what I really consider myself) who made it through college (twice!) without any loans and graduated the first time before the Great Shitshow of 2008-2009.  My only-slightly-younger brother graduated college in 2008 and will probably never work in his chosen field.  Public Relations was one of the first things cut and now that things are looking up companies are looking to hire people with that new grad smell instead of the guys who have been working as bank tellers and pest control guys for the last ten years.

I did graduate in 2008, but was lucky enough to have been already been applying to grad schools before it became apparent how completely the economy had tanked. My department involved grad students in the application review process and for the incoming class of 2009 it was quite clear neither I nor most of the people I can in with would have been competitive. Lots of incredibly credentialed folks who would have walked over to a job an investment bank after graduation in a normal year competing for the chance to ride the recession out while getting paid at least a little bit while earning an additional degree. Those were interesting times.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3747 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
I graduated law school in 09 but I was very fortunate to land a position with the firm where I had clerked throughout law school.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3748 on: November 05, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Copper Top is in!

Yes.  Except they should be AA instead of AAA.  I swear my kid goes through them so fast that the only explanation I've got is that he's somehow mining bitcoin with his Nintendo.

D size will probably be even more appropriate once all is said and done. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3749 on: November 05, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »

D size will probably be even more appropriate once all is said and done.

They'll double as currency and a weapon when I start chunking them at people?