Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134473 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3450 on: October 09, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Can it be a coincidence that Boarder42 is being eulogized on another thread (for his ban), and suddenly thorstach re-appears?

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3451 on: October 09, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
Can it be a coincidence that Boarder42 is being eulogized on another thread (for his ban), and suddenly thorstach re-appears?

Note to Mods: Please don't ever ban thorstach. :)

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3452 on: October 09, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »

All of our lives, we have fought this Top. Tonight I believe we can end it. Tonight is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see three objectives, three captains, three ships. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe this night holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3453 on: October 09, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. “Mankind.” That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!  We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate The Top!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3454 on: October 09, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »

thorstach has re-appeared for one reason and one reason only: The Top is in

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3455 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
I keep hearing radio commercials for silver/gold commodity IRA's. Isn't that what smart people shift to once the top is in?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3456 on: October 10, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
Been waiting all morning to hear if the bottom is in yet

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3457 on: October 10, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
We are all the way down to the January highs now .... ignoring dividends and any purchases made between then and now ....
The lost 3 quarters ... LOST
Future is grim

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3458 on: October 10, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
Been waiting all morning to hear if the bottom is in yet
Just keep refreshing your browser ever 5 minutes. All savvy investors know that is the best way to fine the Top/Bottom.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3459 on: October 10, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
We are all the way down to the January highs now .... ignoring dividends and any purchases made between then and now ....
The lost 3 quarters ... LOST
Future is grim

Its even worse than that now.. this is a disaster, we are down a whole 4% from recent highs!.. Now down to just above where we were on Jan 15th.

Almost a whole year GONE!

Lets see our annual spend (first full year of zero grown up job income) will come in at less than the 1.8% dividend payments.. So in theory the actual value of the stock market is almost meaningless to us.

Now where is the bottom?..:)

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3460 on: October 10, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
Now down to just above where we were on Jan 15th.Almost a whole year GONE!

Hey we were down at this level in August too! And CNBC is reporting this is the worst tumble since April!

April!

God, why didn't we believe Thorstach this 15th or so time even though all the other times s/he was wrong?!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3461 on: October 10, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »

Hey we were down at this level in August too! And CNBC is reporting this is the worst tumble since April!

April!

God, why didn't we believe Thorstach this 15th or so time even though all the other times s/he was wrong?!

Actually on the s&P, June 25th we were at 2718. Currently at 2821... I personally do not remember freaking out back in June and that was a whole 4 months ago!..:)

Its a big yawn fest, perfectly normal but I guess human nature being what it is we freak out at what is happening to us right now.. despite the fact that many bigger dips have (not) affected us before.

Hold fast to the plan grasshopper..:)

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3462 on: October 10, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »

April!

Actually on the s&P, June 25th we were at 2718. Currently at 2821... I personally do not remember freaking out back in June and that was a whole 4 months ago!..:)

Its a big yawn fest, perfectly normal but I guess human nature being what it is we freak out at what is happening to us right now.. despite the fact that many bigger dips have (not) affected us before.

I didn't want to have to do this, but I point to your post from July 4, just after the obliteration of GOAT MOAT.  Your panic was palpable...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/msg2060156/#msg2060156

Truly, you were devastated.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3463 on: October 10, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »

April!

I didn't want to have to do this, but I point to your post from July 4, just after the obliteration of GOAT MOAT.  Your panic was palpable...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/msg2060156/#msg2060156

Truly, you were devastated.

I was? ...Was!.. yes absolutely..:)

But even if I was, the serious point is that we don't remember much worse corrections in the very recent past

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #3464 on: October 10, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »

Bring it on!

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3465 on: October 10, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Nice time to tax loss harvest for anyone that's dumped money into the markets in the last few months.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3466 on: October 10, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
What an epic day, I should be able to beat my personal record for largest dollar drop of my investment accounts today!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3467 on: October 10, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »

Bring it on!

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the GOAT MOAT of hell
But I won't back down

No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this market from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down

(I won't back down) Hey, baby
There ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down) Hey, I
Will stand my ground
And I won't back down

Well, I know what's right
I got just one life
In a market that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground
And I won't back down

Will stand my ground
(I won't back down) And I won't back down

Won't back down

Will stand my ground
(I won't back down) And I won't back down
(I won't back down) No, I won't back down

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3468 on: October 10, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »
Nice time to tax loss harvest for anyone that's dumped money into the markets in the last few months.

Or just let it sit until the markets recover.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3469 on: October 10, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
Today was nothing...lets see if we top a 50% correction.  Markets may try to push out the weak before year end.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3470 on: October 10, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
oi

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3471 on: October 10, 2018, 03:49:46 PM »
This drop has wiped out 2 weeks of purchases ... my investment account is only up $100 from where it was on October 1st (tragedy).
... Good thing tomorrow is pay-day and I get a nice 401k purchase of US Stocks!

I (sort of) feel bad for you guys that have a sizable stache and are seeing big balance drops.
Except for @Exflyboy because he is living off a 1.8% dividend, which seemingly makes him financially indestructible.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3472 on: October 10, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »

Or just let it sit until you FIRE, and then pull out enough to cover expenses, no matter what the market does between now and then.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #3473 on: October 10, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

April!

You'll never make it. You should be at 1% or lower due to this being the toppiest.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3474 on: October 10, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »

Or just let it sit until you FIRE, and then pull out enough to cover expenses, no matter what the market does between now and then.

Or add some more money to your investment accounts and take advantage of the small discount on stocks we got today.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3475 on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
Today was nothing...lets see if we top a 50% correction.  Markets may try to push out the weak before year end.

And down she goes....  The worst is yet to come.  Hold on to your hats!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3476 on: October 10, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »

And down she goes....  The worst is yet to come.  Hold on to your hats!
Stocks are going on sale!!  Woohoo!  Buying time!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3477 on: October 10, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
I (sort of) feel bad for you guys that have a sizable stache and are seeing big balance drops.

You don't need to worry about us, we're fine.  Now that I'm no longer working for a paycheck, I pay way less attention to my financial life.  I don't check the market returns every day, or even every week.  I have no idea what this most recent drop has "cost" me, because I know it doesn't matter in the long run.  I will have enough, and if something truly catastrophic happens then I will figure out how to get by with less, which will still be enough.

Retired life is way less stressful than working life, regardless of what the markets are doing.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3478 on: October 10, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

I invested $20K into VTSAX on 8/30.  I opened up personal capital just now and got all excited to harvest some losses... but the loss only amounts to $370!  at my 12% tax bracket, that's $44.  IDK if that is worth the effort.

Meanwhile, I hit millionaire status in early August, watched our NW climb to $1.025M by 10/1, and today it is down to $981K.  Ha, 44K just temporarily evaporated!  It's a volatile ride, good thing I am okay just letting it sit.  It's a little sad I could have had 5 more shares had I waited to invest, but this is the long game, so it's all good.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3479 on: October 10, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. “Mankind.” That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!  We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate The Top!

Dusty Boots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If your boots are clean, you ain't been workin'.
« Reply #3480 on: October 10, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
What an exciting day! Just a few days ago I bumped up my 401k payroll contribution, and I've been sitting on some fresh cash that needs to get invested so it can start working for me. I feel like a little boy who just walked into a candy store with two fists full of Christmas money.

"'Scuse me sir. I'd like all the index funds *this* will buy." *shoves money across counter* "Please and thank you."

LOL

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3481 on: October 10, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »

I invested $20K into VTSAX on 8/30.  I opened up personal capital just now and got all excited to harvest some losses... but the loss only amounts to $370!  at my 12% tax bracket, that's $44.  IDK if that is worth the effort.

Meanwhile, I hit millionaire status in early August, watched our NW climb to $1.025M by 10/1, and today it is down to $981K.  Ha, 44K just temporarily evaporated!  It's a volatile ride, good thing I am okay just letting it sit.  It's a little sad I could have had 5 more shares had I waited to invest, but this is the long game, so it's all good.

Another $250k and you can tax loss harvest in January ;)

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3482 on: October 10, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
"'Scuse me sir. I'd like all the index funds *this* will buy." *shoves money across counter* "Please and thank you."
Would you like that in a bag, or do you want to feel your future wealth rubbing up against your hands?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:04:07 PM by ILikeDividends »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3483 on: October 10, 2018, 11:27:08 PM »
This drop has wiped out 2 weeks of purchases ... my investment account is only up $100 from where it was on October 1st (tragedy).

Except for @Exflyboy because he is living off a 1.8% dividend, which seemingly makes him financially indestructible.

But what if both my rentals houses burned down.. Then I'd be up 2.8%.... What if the big earthquake hits in Oregon and flattens my house too?

Yeah Ok you probably don't need to feel too bad for me.

Note however (to those who are not long on this path and are wondering WTF is happening) that riding this wave thru thick and thin.. continually buying index funds is what has brought us rich bastards to our happy place.. Oh and not spending much helps too..:)

For now I'm going back to looking at the View of old town Dubrovnik from my airbnb window on our 6 week European tour..:)

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3484 on: October 10, 2018, 11:56:51 PM »
The future is in.  There will be no more future from now on.

Update to add: um, my bad.  Never mind.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:06:16 AM by ILikeDividends »

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #3485 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:37 AM »
Saw the news headline and headed straight for this thread for a laugh.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3486 on: October 11, 2018, 01:17:53 AM »
What an epic day, I should be able to beat my personal record for largest dollar drop of my investment accounts today!

I think mine got done too.

The difference is 10 years ago I was 50% leveraged and had no cash.

This time my margin loan stands at $10 credit(!) and I have well north of six figures ready to use to catch the falling knives.

I like to think I have learned from my mistakes.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #3487 on: October 11, 2018, 04:50:57 AM »
Why Oh Why didn't I sell and buy Beanie Babies!!!???

The Top was IN so many times and I just ignored the signs!!!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3488 on: October 11, 2018, 05:51:22 AM »

But what if both my rentals houses burned down.. Then I'd be up 2.8%.... What if the big earthquake hits in Oregon and flattens my house too?

Note however (to those who are not long on this path and are wondering WTF is happening) that riding this wave thru thick and thin.. continually buying index funds is what has brought us rich bastards to our happy place.. Oh and not spending much helps too..:)

For now I'm going back to looking at the View of old town Dubrovnik from my airbnb window on our 6 week European tour..:)

realy excited to see the shout out for Dubrovnik, seriously under-rated travel destination. Los Angeles climate, European sensibility.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3489 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »

realy excited to see the shout out for Dubrovnik, seriously under-rated travel destination. Los Angeles climate, European sensibility.

Yes interesting place but you had better bring a boatload of money! A simple lunch just cost the 2 of us $33. Its a bit over run with tourists probably because the "Game of Thrones" was filmed here... Its a beautiful town but I don't think I need to come back.

I am much more impressed with Slovenia, even though Lubijana is a little spendy.. It just feels more lived in, whereas Dubrovnik feels like all the locals left so they could the tourists invade and gouge them for the privilege..:)

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #3490 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »
The difference is 10 years ago I was 50% leveraged and had no cash.

This time my margin loan stands at $10 credit(!) and I have well north of six figures ready to use to catch the falling knives.

I like to think I have learned from my mistakes.

So . . . market timing?  Not sure lesson learned.

When will your entrance point be?  5% drop?  10% drop?  20% drop?  Timing is a pretty arbitrary thing without a plan (or a crystal ball).

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3491 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »
Saw the news headline and headed straight for this thread for a laugh.

Haha I still find it funny that the number of posts in here is correlated with market swings. Not the idea of the parody..

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3492 on: October 11, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
Looks like we may be finally getting that long overdue correction (I don't really count the February one as it shot up in January and then just went right back to December levels).

The last real corrections we had were in August of 2015 and January 2016. Feels like yesterday.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3493 on: October 11, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
This thread is way more entertaining than the Bogleheads version.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3494 on: October 11, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »

We were just there, so beautiful.

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3495 on: October 11, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
Bottom is not in.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3496 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:43 AM »

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #3497 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »
Top is in

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3498 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3499 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »