Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3134704 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Top is in
« Reply #1600 on: January 11, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »
Tuna melt-up:
http://www.bumblebee.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/three-cheese-tuna-melt.jpg

Based on the distribution of the cheese above and below the tuna, I'd say that there was a simultaneous melt-up and melt-down. The results look delicious.
I hate tuna.  I'd prefer to go with a bacon terminology

"Boy, this market is really getting crispy!"

Mr. Boh

• Stubble
« Reply #1601 on: January 11, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
Looks like we are melting up again today.   How high can a melt up go?

All the way to the top.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1602 on: January 11, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »

A melt-up or end-phase of a bubble within the next 6 months to 2 years is likely, i.e., over 50%.

Wait a minute... some guy is predicting that there's a >50% chance this bull run will end in the next two years??!!
Color me shocked.

I'd also like to predict that there's a >50% chance that there's a >50% chance the superbowl will be won by either the patriots, eagles, steelers or vikings (or possibly the Jaguars, Saints, Falcons or Titans).

I'm also going to predict that Apple will announce a new iPhone sometime in the next 2 years, DJT will tweet something most people find inflammatory, and there will be a major natural disaster somewhere in the US.

You've got it all nailed down. Better go cash in!

I think he's saying the stock market will go up another 50% before it drops.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1603 on: January 11, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
I hate tuna. 

NO WAY! Do you hate all tuna? Including Seared Ahi and Bluefin tuna sushi?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1604 on: January 11, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
I hate tuna. 

That's it, tuna is over.  Short BKK:TU, SELL SELL SELL

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1605 on: January 11, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
I hate tuna. 

Yup, I hate the taste of all tuna.
Bluefin?  Meh gahds - even if I loved the flavor I'd never touch the stuff. Avoid!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1606 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
My reaction to today's market action...

"Holy shit!"

Top MUST be in now..:)

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
So in summary this is still not the top, just a small freeze in the melt up. 

OH for christ's sake - are we freezing up or down as we melt up? How we be both freezing and melting at the same time?  Or am I not thinking 4th dimensionally again? ("yeah, I have a real problem with that, doc"
Different freeze. 

noun: freeze; plural noun: freezes

an act of holding or being held at a fixed level or in a fixed state.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:13:12 PM by aboatguy »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1608 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »
OH for christ's sake - are we freezing up or down as we melt up? How we be both freezing and melting at the same time? 

It's a lateral freeze down during the melt up.  Soon to be followed by the transverse falling bounce and the transient index inversion short, both of which are also strong sell signals in this buyer's market.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1609 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
OH for christ's sake - are we freezing up or down as we melt up? How we be both freezing and melting at the same time? 

It's a lateral freeze down during the melt up.  Soon to be followed by the transverse falling bounce and the transient index inversion short, both of which are also strong sell signals in this buyer's market.

I thought we were in a seller's market?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1610 on: January 11, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »

Mmmm. Financial word salad :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1611 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »

Thanks Sol - as usual your post is among the most informed and nuanced within a given thread.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1612 on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I liquidated all of my non taxable accounts into cash and bitcoin this afternoon.

The top is in for stocks, and the bottom is in for BTC.

Smell ya later.

DoctorOctagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1613 on: January 11, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
Trump's 20% corporate tax cut, the long-term low interest environment, and the reversion to the 800-year-mean of inflation (~1%) are all NOT priced into stocks.

Lots of fools selling and going to cash!!!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1614 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
There you have it - we aren't melting up.  We're melting laterally.

You guys just aren’t thinking fourth dimensionally. We are melting through time

Great Scott!

Most righteous!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1615 on: January 11, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »
I think that thorstache has been right the whole time, we have just been reading it wrong.

The top is in.  Cash will not go higher, sell all of your cash and buy stocks!!!

That has to be what he meant?  Right!  Right?

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1616 on: January 11, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »

A melt-up or end-phase of a bubble within the next 6 months to 2 years is likely, i.e., over 50%.

Wait a minute... some guy is predicting that there's a >50% chance this bull run will end in the next two years??!!
Color me shocked.

I'd also like to predict that there's a >50% chance that there's a >50% chance the superbowl will be won by either the patriots, eagles, steelers or vikings (or possibly the Jaguars, Saints, Falcons or Titans).

I'm also going to predict that Apple will announce a new iPhone sometime in the next 2 years, DJT will tweet something most people find inflammatory, and there will be a major natural disaster somewhere in the US.

Jeremy Grantham is predicting there's a >50% chance we see a melt-up.

Read the article. It’s quite interesting.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #1617 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:15 PM »

Pretty sure I’m making this my next signature. Excellent read on the impending freezing melty tuna.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1618 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
I mentioned my method in an old post, it's momentum combined with other indicators. Momentum usually exits too early and joins too late so I do not see it as a viable strategy on its own.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/dual-momentum-investing/msg1490347/#msg1490347

Sorry but I maintain my stance in that post and will not elaborate as long as it continues to work (who knows for how much longer)... However... the basic idea is that market does not move in a random fashion and is heavily influenced by the economics. This post from philosophical economics should give you an idea.

Note: it's really long and he doesn't really get into the "good part" until late in the post. Regardless, we arrived at similar conclusions independently even though we use different indicators.
http://www.philosophicaleconomics.com/2016/01/gtt/

p.s: We could discuss how the length of the bull market (where we are in a cycle) impacts the market though, even if every cycle is slightly different.

Cool.  Thanks for the links.
Interesting stuff, and I will try to make it through that post when I find the time (perhaps this weekend).

While I can understand not wanting to elaborate on your method, you have to understand that from an outsider perspective your message rings a bit hollow.  Essentially you're saying that at some point the market will drop (which is something just about anyone would agree with).  I suppose you go so far as to insinuate that it will be 'soon,' but are unable to define what 'soon' means or give us any clear indicators to watch for.  That said, it's obviously not your obligation to prove anything to anyone here - but it seems that without supporting evidence a blanket warning comes off as a bit toothless (no offense intended). 

You don't give us enough information to act on, or enough context or timeframe to look back on and determine whether you were right or wrong. 

Again, I do not give advice to people. My opinion is that people should do what they have always done (what they believe is right) until evidence clearly tells them otherwise. So for a passive investor, when he hears the trumpet, just stay put come what may. I will obviously run for the hill (bond, cash, shorting); one of us will be right and profit handsomely. It is then up to the person who got it wrong to make the decision if he wants to change his ways.

That's fair, I suppose.  Though I would say that until cycles repeat and outcomes can be replicated multiple times we should stay away from using terms like "right" and "wrong" and instead perhaps use terms like "lucky" and "unlucky."

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1619 on: January 12, 2018, 02:15:47 AM »

While I can understand not wanting to elaborate on your method, you have to understand that from an outsider perspective your message rings a bit hollow.  Essentially you're saying that at some point the market will drop (which is something just about anyone would agree with).  I suppose you go so far as to insinuate that it will be 'soon,' but are unable to define what 'soon' means or give us any clear indicators to watch for.  That said, it's obviously not your obligation to prove anything to anyone here - but it seems that without supporting evidence a blanket warning comes off as a bit toothless (no offense intended). 

You don't give us enough information to act on, or enough context or timeframe to look back on and determine whether you were right or wrong. 

That's fair, I suppose.  Though I would say that until cycles repeat and outcomes can be replicated multiple times we should stay away from using terms like "right" and "wrong" and instead perhaps use terms like "lucky" and "unlucky."

Sorry what? I have been consistently bullish as can be seen in my posts. I even stated "to the moon!" here when the upward trend was briefly broken (relatively weak) back in June:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/has-the-market-lost-its-mind/msg1575172/#msg1575172
Note: I do not give advices.

Since I have clearly not given the sell signal yet, I do not understand why many members here assume that I am bearish or carry a bearish message. Yes I am saying that at some point the market will drop, but as you said, is something just about anyone would agree, does that mean everyone is carrying a bearish message? Or people just assume market timing = being bearish?

If it is the "soon" part that you took issue with, all I can say is certain indicators have taken the turn for the worse. Unfortunately, as the details relate to my method I will therefore not elaborate. If you seek supporting evidence.... consider my bullishness in the past and how that turned out since I made the sentiment public. After all, it follows the same logic that a guy who could call the top should also be able to call the bottom; a guy who can spot a rally should also be able to notice a decline. I fully intend on "calling the top" here should I find it at our doorsteps (after I get out, of course).

A market timing method that recognizes market strengths when conventional methods scream sell (ie, thorstach) alleviates a big problem of any market timing strategy - missing out. In this regard, my short record is nothing less than stellar if I may say so myself.

You could argue that 1 or 2 year is not enough time period to make a proper assessment, and I agree with you completely. Even though 2015/2016 turned out alright for me (beat index using index funds via mostly timing), I still think a lot of it could be just luck, as I mentioned here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/i-did-it!-i-beat-the-index-using-index-funds!-(bragging)/msg1336044/#msg1336044
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/i-did-it!-i-beat-the-index-using-index-funds!-(bragging)/msg1807219/#msg1807219

Luck is a funny thing. Buffett himself alluded to luck being something more when he wryly mentioned a group of investors in Omaha was able to beat the index year after year. He talked about luck and other things, such as intellectual origin.
https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/articles/columbia-business/superinvestors

A full business cycle can last over 10 years, heck, a full-on bull market could last over 20 years. While it is natural to take a wait and see attitude when it's something we are not comfortable with, we need to ask ourselves, how many 20 years do we have in our lives?

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1620 on: January 12, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
Sorry what? I have been consistently bullish as can be seen in my posts. I even stated "to the moon!" here when the upward trend was briefly broken (relatively weak) back in June:

Apologies - I had the impression that while you were bullish in the past you were changing your outlook now.  Comments like, "a great and terrible storm is on the horizon, it is coming," made me think that you were bearish for the 'near' future (and left me with the impression that you felt the drop was imminent).

My mistake.

I fully intend on "calling the top" here should I find it at our doorsteps (after I get out, of course).

That sounds great.
And in that case this conversation should probably be tabled until that point.
Apologies for misconstruing what you were trying to say.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1621 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
I was talking to my barber and he mentioned it's going to be classic melt up.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1622 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:24 AM »
S&P 2,800 incoming...

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1623 on: January 12, 2018, 08:10:10 AM »
Dang! I might get to join the tail end of the class of 2018! ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1624 on: January 12, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
Dang! I might get to join the tail end of the class of 2018! ;)

Something I've been wondering... can we start a graduation ceremony for the newly FI/RE?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1625 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
RC, that looks like a frozen inverse melt-down, not a right-sided thawing melt-up, which is what we're in now.  Plus, the current market is obviously not strawberry but rocky road.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1627 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
RC, that looks like a frozen inverse melt-down, not a right-sided thawing melt-up, which is what we're in now.  Plus, the current market is obviously not strawberry but rocky road.

Shit. See this is why I come here. Amazing information like this! Thank you BG. :)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1628 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:51 AM »
So what you're saying is... Have a second scoop?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1629 on: January 12, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
So what you're saying is... Have a second scoop?

Yes. Always MOAR! Always!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Wow... waffle ice cream taco.... my three favorite foods combined. This surely means that top is in.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: January 12, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »

At first glance I thought that was the poop emoji.

What we need now is a reverse funnel concept to catch all that melting awesomeness.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1632 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
Never had a waffle ice cream taco before.... it looks very messy.... how do you eat such a thing?

Mr. D: Ya let's talk later. The friendly and conniving resident prophet will resume the sermons using the same structures, commonly found in religious scriptures worldwide.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1633 on: January 12, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
Never had a waffle ice cream taco before.... it looks very messy.... how do you eat such a thing?

The same way anyone eats any kind of taco...  It's bliss.  Just dont' settle for the mass-market freezer-section pre-wrapped POC. A good waffle ice cream taco should have the waffle-taco made on-site within a few hours.  It's bascially the same as a waffle-cone, but in a different format.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1634 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Great, now I'm craving an ice cream sundae.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1635 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/has-the-market-lost-its-mind/msg1575172/#msg1575172
Note: I do not give advices.

Since I have clearly not given the sell signal yet, I do not understand why many members here assume that I am bearish or carry a bearish message. Yes I am saying that at some point the market will drop, but as you said, is something just about anyone would agree, does that mean everyone is carrying a bearish message? Or people just assume market timing = being bearish?

If it is the "soon" part that you took issue with, all I can say is certain indicators have taken the turn for the worse. Unfortunately, as the details relate to my method I will therefore not elaborate. If you seek supporting evidence.... consider my bullishness in the past and how that turned out since I made the sentiment public. After all, it follows the same logic that a guy who could call the top should also be able to call the bottom; a guy who can spot a rally should also be able to notice a decline. I fully intend on "calling the top" here should I find it at our doorsteps (after I get out, of course).

A market timing method that recognizes market strengths when conventional methods scream sell (ie, thorstach) alleviates a big problem of any market timing strategy - missing out. In this regard, my short record is nothing less than stellar if I may say so myself.

You could argue that 1 or 2 year is not enough time period to make a proper assessment, and I agree with you completely. Even though 2015/2016 turned out alright for me (beat index using index funds via mostly timing), I still think a lot of it could be just luck, as I mentioned here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/i-did-it!-i-beat-the-index-using-index-funds!-(bragging)/msg1336044/#msg1336044
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/i-did-it!-i-beat-the-index-using-index-funds!-(bragging)/msg1807219/#msg1807219

Luck is a funny thing. Buffett himself alluded to luck being something more when he wryly mentioned a group of investors in Omaha was able to beat the index year after year. He talked about luck and other things, such as intellectual origin.
https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/articles/columbia-business/superinvestors

A full business cycle can last over 10 years, heck, a full-on bull market could last over 20 years. While it is natural to take a wait and see attitude when it's something we are not comfortable with, we need to ask ourselves, how many 20 years do we have in our lives?

Dude,  you know nothing.  Same as everybody else. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1636 on: January 12, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »

If you have to ask it's not for you. Stick to your passive ice cream cone indexing.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1637 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

The same way anyone eats any kind of taco...  It's bliss.  Just dont' settle for the mass-market freezer-section pre-wrapped POC. A good waffle ice cream taco should have the waffle-taco made on-site within a few hours.  It's bascially the same as a waffle-cone, but in a different format.

I've only ever had the mass-produced one -- the Chaco Taco.  I had no idea this was available as a freshly-made waffle cone-like thing... going to have to find one when the weather warms up!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1638 on: January 12, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »

I've only ever had the mass-produced one -- the Chaco Taco.  I had no idea this was available as a freshly-made waffle cone-like thing... going to have to find one when the weather warms up!

i've eaten those str8 off the line - 1000000x better than anything in the store.  the shell is still crunchy.  as well as magnum ice cream bars much better off the line - the carmel is still gooey in the triple layer carmel ones.

the top is in - i've divested from everything except my ice cream company shares - b/c with global warming they are going to start sky rocketing.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1639 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:56 PM »
2786 and the top is not in

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_EvGn22Mplg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/2urpAl081kY
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:46:30 PM by aboatguy »

GreatLaker

• Stubble
« Reply #1640 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:26 AM »
I'd prefer to go with a bacon terminology

That bacon slice has multiple tops, but no discernable upward or downward trend. Definitely a sideways slice with multiple tops.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1641 on: January 14, 2018, 07:30:16 AM »

That bacon slice has multiple tops, but no discernable upward or downward trend. Definitely a sideways slice with multiple tops.
Otherwise what's known as stagnant bacon.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1642 on: January 14, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »

Would that honestly be a bad thing?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1643 on: January 14, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

If you are accumulating bacon, no it would be great. 

Bacon 'stache!  A whole new meaning to Mmm

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1644 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:28 PM »

I'd like to dollar cost average my way into that!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1645 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:03 AM »

Studies show it’s better to lump-sum into bacon, if you have that option available to you.

Roughly 80% of the time the result is (wait for it...)... more bacon!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1646 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

Studies show it’s better to lump-sum into bacon, if you have that option available to you.

Roughly 80% of the time the result is (wait for it...)... more bacon!

I know it’s an unpopular opinion around here, but y’all should consider adding a little cheese to your portfolio.  Yeah, technically all bacon will maximize the total amount of bacon consumed over your lifetime, but it doesn’t account for the increased chance that sometimes you will run out of bacon completely.  I’d rather have a little bacon everyday than a ton of bacon when I die

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1647 on: January 15, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »
I know it’s an unpopular opinion around here, but y’all should consider adding a little cheese to your portfolio.  Yeah, technically all bacon will maximize the total amount of bacon consumed over your lifetime, but it doesn’t account for the increased chance that sometimes you will run out of bacon completely.  I’d rather have a little bacon everyday than a ton of bacon when I die

Clearly a bubble and very irresponsible advice. Sure, the cheese is great technology but there are so many cheeses available it just doesn't make sense right now.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1648 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
Toasted cheese and bacon for super it is!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: January 15, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
Adding some cheese to your Bacon is ok, as long as you are following your IBS (Ingesting Bacon Statement).