Author Topic: Timing the Market  (Read 2655 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Timing the Market
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »
Yes I did it. I pulled all of my 401K funds before today's 3% drop. Well ok, not exactly. I'm in the middle of rolling over my 401K and they finally pulled the funds from my old account this morning. Of course this could have gone the other way as well. I just got lucky ( :

TheHardenedInvestor

• Stubble
Re: Timing the Market
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »
You didn’t get lucky. Do you need the money? No. Are you going to access the money early? No. So why did you sell? No good reason. When will you buy back in? No good answer.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
You didn’t get lucky. Do you need the money? No. Are you going to access the money early? No. So why did you sell? No good reason. When will you buy back in? No good answer.

Try reading my post again, maybe more slowly ( ;

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
Now that's the good kind of market timing right there!  Way to get lucky!  Woo hoo!

TheHardenedInvestor

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »

I read it. We know why you posted it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »

Who is "we?" And if you understood what I wrote why did you ask irrelevant questions about selling and buying back in?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Now that's the good kind of market timing right there!  Way to get lucky!  Woo hoo!

Yep, and I fully understand it could have gone the other way.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »

Did you have a nap today? If not, you need one :)

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »

"We?"  Well, if you mean we think the OP is happy about stumbling into some unplanned good fortune, and just wanted to kick his/her heels about it in a forum, then I guess "we" do know why it was posted.

If you think otherwise, you might just be all on your lonesome there.

I'm quite happy for the OP.  May s/he continue to experience similarly fortuitous events from time to time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:50:43 PM by ILikeDividends »

UnexpectedExpenseExpector

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

"We?"  Well, if you mean we think the OP is happy about stumbling into some unplanned good fortune, and just wanted to kick his/her heals about it in a forum, then I guess "we" do know why it was posted.

I'm quite happy for the OP.  May s/he continue to experience similarly fortuitous events from time to time.

^ This.  Congrats @MasterStache .  Hopefully your funds get back in while it's still down.  Though last I checked that shouldn't be a problem because I heard that the top is in.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:41:43 AM »

"We?"  Well, if you mean we think the OP is happy about stumbling into some unplanned good fortune, and just wanted to kick his/her heals about it in a forum, then I guess "we" do know why it was posted.

^ This.  Congrats @MasterStache .  Hopefully your funds get back in while it's still down.  Though last I checked that shouldn't be a problem because I heard that the top is in.

That's kind of my hope too. I can't believe that thread is still going. Ha, it's good for a laugh though.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 06:06:47 AM »
I rolled over a 401k back in january. they had to send me a check which I then sent to my new 401k provider.

I missed the january run up and got the money in just in time to see it drop.
my accidental timing cost me about 27k.
need to sharpen my procrastination skills!!!

woohoo.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
I rolled over a 401k back in january. they had to send me a check which I then sent to my new 401k provider.

I missed the january run up and got the money in just in time to see it drop.
my accidental timing cost me about 27k.
need to sharpen my procrastination skills!!!

woohoo.

Ahh that sucks ) :

I did screw myself by not paying too much attention to my 401K after I left my job last year. I was getting hammered with fees, likely because I was no longer employed. That was rather frustrating to see once I did start paying a bit more attention. They will be sending the check directly to my new provider so we'll see when they buy back in.

Full_Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »
Weird post.

He said he's rolling over his 401k, either because he changed jobs or, if self-employed, because he changed financial institutions. Money comes out, sent over, money goes back in. So that's why he sold and that's when he'll get back in. The processing necessarily involves some time delay (last time I did this (2008); it was still 1950 technology. That is, they needed a real signature and then they sent me a check, which I then had to send to the new financial institution). I changed jobs in 2007 but didn't roll over my prior employer's 403(b) until fall of 2008 and managed similar luck back then. My money didn't return to the market at the bottom, but I fortuitously avoided a sizable drop.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
Weird post.

He said he's rolling over his 401k, either because he changed jobs or, if self-employed, because he changed financial institutions. Money comes out, sent over, money goes back in. So that's why he sold and that's when he'll get back in. The processing necessarily involves some time delay (last time I did this (2008); it was still 1950 technology. That is, they needed a real signature and then they sent me a check, which I then had to send to the new financial institution). I changed jobs in 2007 but didn't roll over my prior employer's 403(b) until fall of 2008 and managed similar luck back then. My money didn't return to the market at the bottom, but I fortuitously avoided a sizable drop.

Apparently it still hasn't come along way. The originally screwed up my paperwork about 3-4 weeks ago and I had to redo some sections and send it back in. I could have possibly watched the funds get pulled right before the recent sell off. Man that would have been sweet. I think it's going to take at last a week or 2 to get the funds transferred on invested back in the market. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!