Author Topic: The US Dollar - Real Value vs Nominal Value  (Read 1862 times)

YoungStache

• Stubble
The US Dollar - Real Value vs Nominal Value
« on: February 09, 2017, 03:23:28 AM »
http://calebjonesblog.com/the-us-dollar-real-value-vs-nominal-value/

---Curious, what do you guys think?

Also, side question: if I sell my index funds but do not take any distributions/withdrawals, do I still have to file/pay taxes even if the money is still in the account?

Nothlit

• Bristles
Re: The US Dollar - Real Value vs Nominal Value
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:35:32 AM »
As to your side question, if the index funds in question are in a taxable account, then yes, selling those funds will be a taxable event even if you don't withdraw the proceeds into your bank account. If they are in an IRA or 401k or other tax-sheltered account, then no, it is not a taxable event.

LAGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
This is another one of these inflation doom and gloom articles. "Look at how much money the government is printing!" But it doesn't matter if the government prints all this money and give it to elites, as the article suggests, and the elites then just go and stash it in their bank vaults. Which is basically what's been happening. Check out what the current "velocity of money" stats are and that explains why government money printing isn't fueling inflation.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
Seems like an explanation of Inflation to me - nothing novel here. He acts as if we all "don't understand something".
Maybe we don't, and he's just so far ahead in his understanding of inflation. And I'm just having a hand waved over my eyes.
The "money only going to the elites" thing sounds a little thought up to me - how would this be accomplished?
Quote from: LAGuy
[/quote
-
Does calebjones mean "indirectly going to the elites", because they're the ones that have the companies that receive profits/tax incentives from the US economy/consumers?
I'm genuinely asking here, because I'm admittedly pretty naive on how this might be going on.

Jammu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
This Caleb guy doesn't seem very sophisticated. There are better blogs to read.