Author Topic: The 2018 Trump DUMP Thread  (Read 9745 times)

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
The 2018 Trump DUMP Thread
« on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
He takes credit for the gains, it's time to assign blame for the losses.

Let's have fun with this market drop! I'll start:

No thanks to Trump I'm down $117,000 from the peak.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 2018 Trump DUMP Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »

I sort of get what your trying to do, but I am not sure what you want us to reply in response.

I find it interesting he has taken such ownership of the market, but time will tell if he takes ownership for red days.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »

I sort of get what your trying to do, but I am not sure what you want us to reply in response.

I find it interesting he has taken such ownership of the market, but time will tell if he takes ownership for red days.

He takes ownership of nothing if its bad.  I saw him interviewed one time and he flat out told the interviewer that he's never made a mistake.  Ever.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
I've always invested my money with Trump. Trump Steaks, Trump Ice Natural Spring Water ("one of the highest quality spring waters in the world with an optimum mineral content"), Trump University, the Trump Taj Mahal, and right now the Great Trump Global Stock Market. To be honest, I don't love this latest investment, because he doesn't quite have 100% control over the global stock market's success or failure. More like 95%, and I suspect that the 5% of non-Trumpian influence has really crept in over the past couple days. So I'm going to sell all my stocks first thing tomorrow and put my money in the Donald J. Trump Foundation. That seems to be turning quite a profit for its owners and it's tax free to boot!

D Bopp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
He'd just spin the drop. "The single greatest daily numeric drop in the history of drops. Believe me."

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
He'd just spin the drop. "The single greatest daily numeric drop in the history of drops. Believe me."
Love it!

Maybe... "We're going to have the fastest recovery ever seen in history. It's going to be fast. Very, very fast."

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »

All I'm trying to do is have fun with this drop. I lost a decent amount of money so far and many others on here did as well. One orange haired guy has taken a lot of credit for the gains last year and even tweeted blame on market corrections in the past on that sitting President.

As for the reply I'm looking for, just have fun with it. No one is forcing you to reply. :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
I already posted in another thread about a theory circulating in some circles that the current market drop is a flight from stocks to bonds, brought on by rising bond yields relative to stocks, brought on by falling bond prices, brought on by massive new issuance of government bonds, brought on by Treasury's inability to fund government operations after the tax cut bill passed and they turned down payroll withholding. 

Basically, the theory says the tax cut bill blew a giant hole in the federal budget and they can't make ends meet without flooding the market with new bonds.  Oversupply of bonds drives down the price, which drives up the yield, which draws money out of the stock market.  It's tenuous, at best, IMO, but it does sort of blame the recent downturn on Trump.  Or on Congressional republicans, anyway, with Trump playing figurehead and claiming credit as usual.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »

that's not how this works, GodEmperor is infallible, and can not be held accountable by mortal peasants!

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:39:49 PM »
Yeah... Our federal government is running a $50B deficit and we're complaining about irresponsible, out of control spending. The equivalent would be around $450B for you guys. I think most Americans would be happy if their government was only running a max $450B deficit. Although the current budget projects that this year, I would be surprised if it held. Creative accounting only takes you so far.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »

Hey wait a minute! The media has been saying that the stock market had been going up because of Obama. So it's a 2-way street here. You can't have it both ways.

Also stocks are at this moment still up 32% since Trump took office.

Also historically, on average, the stock market corrects 10% or more about once every 11 months. So this correction was overdue (if we even hit 10% yet).

And finally your candidate lost 307 - 232. Sour grapes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:00:17 PM by Mighty-Dollar »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »

And still somehow managed to get fewer votes!  If someone has an inferiority complex that motivates their ugly behavior (aka sour grapes) I'm pretty sure he's living in the white house.

Trump is no dummy, when it comes to popularity.  He knows how ratings work. 

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »

This line right here sums up everything that's wrong with American politics.

apricity22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:18:21 AM »

This dump has another 32% to go. Yikes!

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:06 AM »

Hey wait a minute! The media has been saying that the stock market had been going up because of Obama. So it's a 2-way street here. You can't have it both ways.

I don't really even think the president has that much control over the economy, but this is flat out ridiculous. Let's review:

1) Obama inherits the 2008 crash from Bush. From the DJIA bottom on 03/09/2009 (three months after he took office) until the end of his second term, the DJIA grew 11% a year on average.
Republicans: but look at all the deficit spending he's doing to prop up the economy!

2) Trump takes office in 2017. His first year he does basically nothing but call people names. Nothing of substance that people could point to that would affect the economy anyway, except maybe try to kill the EPA and other "regulation reducing" measures. The DJIA is up 30% over the single year.
Republicans: Yeah, this is 100% due to Trump, this is what we wanted!

3) Trump / Republicans *actually* do something that has a clear and obvious impact on the economy: the tax reform. They *increase* deficit spending during a bull economy and shove the law through before the CBO and other economics bodies can finish estimating what the effect will be. A month later the CBO releases findings that the deficit this year will be almost double what it was last year. The stock market immediately tanks (for some reason).
Republicans: It's a 2-way street! You can't have it both ways! This is actually Obama's fault. You lost, go suck grapes!

Come on. Be a Republican if you want to, but don't be dumb. There is a clear and obvious reason why this may not in fact be Obama's fault.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »

I don't really even think the president has that much control over the economy, but this is flat out ridiculous. Let's review:

1) Obama inherits the 2008 crash from Bush. From the DJIA bottom on 03/09/2009 (three months after he took office) until the end of his second term, the DJIA grew 11% a year on average.
Republicans: but look at all the deficit spending he's doing to prop up the economy!

2) Trump takes office in 2017. His first year he does basically nothing but call people names. Nothing of substance that people could point to that would affect the economy anyway, except maybe try to kill the EPA and other "regulation reducing" measures. The DJIA is up 30% over the single year.
Republicans: Yeah, this is 100% due to Trump, this is what we wanted!

3) Trump / Republicans *actually* do something that has a clear and obvious impact on the economy: the tax reform. They *increase* deficit spending during a bull economy and shove the law through before the CBO and other economics bodies can finish estimating what the effect will be. A month later the CBO releases findings that the deficit this year will be almost double what it was last year. The stock market immediately tanks (for some reason).
Republicans: It's a 2-way street! You can't have it both ways! This is actually Obama's fault. You lost, go suck grapes!

Come on. Be a Republican if you want to, but don't be dumb. There is a clear and obvious reason why this may not in fact be Obama's fault.

Thanks, Obama . . .

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Wait, you mean that financing a tax cut with deficit spending is a bad idea? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!

Republicans have consistently argued that tax cuts would pay for themselves.  They claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility, but their tax bill is absolutely a budget buster.  Unfortunately, the smarter ones knew that going in, and planned to use their new deficits as an excuse to cut Medicaid and Medicare.

In addition to the argument outlined previously about the deficit spending necessitating bond issues that suck money out of stocks, I think there is a larger macroeconomic argument that corporate tax cuts at a time when profits were already at record highs was foolish.  Government is supposed to protect us from the business cycle, not amplify it.  How will they possibly respond to the next recession after emptying their toolbox?  With deficit spending already under way and interest rates already artificially suppressed, what else can they do?

So I'm more and more coming around to the idea that the tax bill is ultimately responsible for the recent slide.  It had a measurable impact on bond rates that I don't think they foresaw, and it had a more emotional impact on investors by weakening the government's ability to respond to crisis.  The debt ceiling debate is suddenly much more immediate now that we can't even fund ongoing operations day to day, which dramatically increases the risk of US default.  If they stop paying SS or federal employees paychecks, we'll know the tax cuts have really come home to roost.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
He sucks but frankly I don't think politicians are responsible for gains or losses to any great extent.  If he defaults on the debt and crashes the world economy, or if he starts a nuclear war, then yes I will assign some blame.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
He sucks but frankly I don't think politicians are responsible for gains or losses to any great extent. 

Individual politicians, not so much.  How about political parties that promote unsound fiscal policies that undermine the economy?  I don't blame trump or obama for the market going up or down, but I think it's safe to say that their policies, and the people they appoint at fed and treasury, absolutely can move the market.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »
He sucks but frankly I don't think politicians are responsible for gains or losses to any great extent.  If he defaults on the debt and crashes the world economy, or if he starts a nuclear war, then yes I will assign some blame.

This is definitely debatable, but as a matter of degree vs. a matter of fact.  At least, if one counts the actions of the Federal Reserve and the Dept. of Treasury, or thinks that the tax laws (old or new) had any impact on the economy.  If those things don't make a difference, why pay any attention to them?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
No doubt the Fed has a much more definite impact on the markets.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »

To continue this thought, does anyone think it is mere coincidence that the largest single day point drop in history occurred on the very first day on the job for Trump's newly appointed fed chair?

Trump fired Janet Yellen and installed a new guy, and the markets reacted catastrophically.  Could be coincidence, I guess.  Could be Trumps policies tanking market sentiment, too.  The new guy publicly supports deregulating banks, relaxIng liquidity rules, and loosening lending standards.  Basically, he wants to go back to the 2006 rules that gave us the 08/09 meltdown.  So maybe it's not surprising that some investors fled the markets when he took over.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:25:58 PM by sol »

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »

To continue this thought, does anyone think it is mere coincidence that the largest single day point drop in history occurred on the very first day on the job for Trump's newly appointed fed chair?

Trump fired Janet Yellen and installed a new guy, and the markets reacted catastrophically.  Could be coincidence, I guess.  Could be Trumps policies tanking market sentiment, too.  The new guy publicly supports deregulating banks, relaxIng liquidity rules, and loosening lending standards.  Basically, he wants to go back to the 2006 rules that gave us the 08/09 meltdown.  So maybe it's not surprising that some investors fled the markets when he took over.

Probably didn't help either that Yellen commented that valuations are high in her exit interview.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/yellen-hard-to-tell-if-market-is-in-a-bubble-but-valuations-high.html

corcoran

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Since we're being silly and all (right, don't get all emotional and spread fear). To go along with the idea of the thread (1), and the stock market going down idea(2) MMM has written about:
Thanks to donald trump(1) my stocks have gone up 32% so far, and are currently on a 6-8% sale(2)!

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
The drop continues... Down to prices in mid-November. Also >10% off the peak.

Trump's first market tweet since the drop started says "In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!"

It's easy to forget that every market crash starts when the economy, jobs, and news are great.

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 07:39:10 AM »
Hello Mustacheans ... I am relatively new here for posting, even though I have been lurking here for some time.

We don't need to choose between these two - Trapped into giving both credit and blame to Trump for the stock market (or) Say Trump has nothing to do with the stock market down turn. We can credibly argue the stock market gains of last year have nothing to do with Trump and the current losses ARE at least in part due to Trump actions. I know this is not how it works in the real world of politics. But even though I am a new bee here, I already noticed that mustacheans are much above sound byte politics.  :-) 

Trump inherited damn good economy from Obama. US pretty much dragged almost every major world economy out of the 2008 doldrums it created. Synchronized global growth is the main reason we did so well in the stock market past year. (That and the fact that we have so much easy money sloshing around). The markets continued it upward trends since 2009. I see no reason why Trump should be given any credit for last year stock market performance (except for saying - yeah - he didn't start a war or something like that)

It is now given that all central banks of the world will tighten the money supply and unwind their balance sheets. The single best thing US government can do to continue the stock market party in this environment is to tighten its belts, reduce deficits and decrease demand for the tightening money. Instead they are doing the EXACT opposite. they cut the taxes, increased the spending and increased the deficit again to a trillion dollar range. When Obama increased deficit, it was for a good reason, and it worked. I think there is at least some part of the current unease and market drop that is directly attributable to the stupidity of Trumpnomics.

Thank you Obama! DUMP Trump.

Good related piece appeared today - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/opinion/republicans-hawks-markets.html

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
It's easy to forget that every market crash starts when the economy, jobs, and news are great.

true story!

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
And still somehow managed to get fewer votes! 
That's like saying that the New England Patriots "only" scored 3 touchdowns versus the Browns' 6 field goals. You play to win the electoral college. If the rules were to win the popular vote then Trump would have campaigned completely differently... and won. Also illegal alien votes did count, but they shouldn't have. Now that's cheating.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
My candidate wasn't a stupid narcissistic motherfucker who conspired with a hostile foreign power to influence the election and who now threatens to nuke a small Asian country because he has a microscopic dick.  So, there's that.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Well, this thread went predictably.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »
Well, this thread went predictably.

lol

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
My candidate wasn't a stupid narcissistic motherfucker who conspired with a hostile foreign power to influence the election and who now threatens to nuke a small Asian country because he has a microscopic dick.

Let's not exaggerate the situation. 

it's *daughterfucker

centastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:15 PM »
LOL @this thread!

And still somehow managed to get fewer votes! 

Indeed, Trump lost the game he wasn't playing (aka the Popular Vote)

Anyway, I agree with your analysis on what was the trigger for the drop.

As for "whose economy?" I think we could probably look at history and come up with something like "first year economy of a new POTUS belongs to the previous POTUS."

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
US pretty much dragged almost every major world economy out of the 2008 doldrums it created.

Seriously? How? Citations please.  Because a comment like this pretty much confirms the rest of the world's belief that the majority of Americans are completely unaware that the rest of the world even exists. Mustachians are proving to be the exception.

Synchronized global growth is the main reason we did so well in the stock market past year.

Wouldn't that mean that the rest of the world dragged the USA out of the 2008 doldrums it created?

I'm not so arrogant to say that the US has no effect on the rest of the world but I highly doubt that the US is solely responsible for good market gains in recent years.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:04:16 PM by Rowellen »

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 05:30:03 AM »
US pretty much dragged almost every major world economy out of the 2008 doldrums it created.

Seriously? How? Citations please.  Because a comment like this pretty much confirms the rest of the world's belief that the majority of Americans are completely unaware that the rest of the world even exists. Mustachians are proving to be the exception.

"Dragged" may be a bit more dramatic than reality. But the reality is that global economies are more interconnected than ever. US because of its size and trade has major impact across the globe. US led the global recovery out of 2008 recession. US Fed took very swift and aggressive actions and US markets started recovering much sooner than the rest (this is easily verifiable). US has already entered monetary tightening cycle as a result of improved economy. EU downturn lingered much longer because of the debt crisis in various participating economies. Japan only recently showing some life after a couple of lost decades. China has its own structural problem in transitioning to a more consumer driven economy, but luckily seem to be doing fine now.

What other major economy you have in mind, mate? :-)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:43:33 AM by kober.paul »

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »

"Dragged" may be a bit more dramatic than reality. But the reality is that global economies are more interconnected than ever. US because of its size and trade has major impact across the globe. US led the global recovery out of 2008 recession. US Fed took very swift and aggressive actions and US markets started recovering much sooner than the rest (this is easily verifiable). US has already entered monetary tightening cycle as a result of improved economy. EU downturn lingered much longer because of the debt crisis in various participating economies. Japan only recently showing some life after a couple of lost decades. China has its own structural problem in transitioning to a more consumer driven economy, but luckily seem to be doing fine now.

What other major economy you have in mind, mate? :-)

Just chiming in here to agree with you. The wording you used was perhaps not very nuanced but it's broadly accurate and easily verifiable. The US took much, much more aggressive action early on as compared to Europe, both in terms of monetary and fiscal stimulus. The US also led the way in stress testing and recapitalizing the banking system. Europe modeled its stress tests on the US and only eventually made the results public. Many large European countries also spent years wondering whether austerity was the correct response to the crisis.

I realize the world isn't just US and Europe, and I'm just comparing those two here, but they collectively account for about half of global GDP and more than half of global market cap. China obviously also had a massive hand in dragging the global economy forward, but given the structure of their economy they're hugely dependent on US consumers. For better or worse, Australia at 1.75% of global market cap wasn't dragging anything.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Let's not forget that the U.S. Fed policy / banking market was the trigger of the *2007-2009* crash...

*Edit
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:49:35 AM by Mr. Rich Moose »

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
Let's not forget that the U.S. Fed policy / banking market was the trigger of the crash...

Yeah, and I could be wrong but I think the "it created" in k.p's post refers to the US not the world economy.

en58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
Here is my issue with this thread. Its pure political crap, started by a someone who is from Alberta (presumably Canadian). I don't understand why a Canadian must feel they are entitled to interfere with US politics, when they have no say in US politics (I mean in form of a vote) You should be more worried about that prime mister of yours you gave millions of dollars to a terrorist who hates mankind. Excuse me peoplekind.

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
Let's not forget that the U.S. Fed policy / banking market was the trigger of the crash...

Yeah, and I could be wrong but I think the "it created" in k.p's post refers to the US not the world economy.

Yes, I was saying US triggered the 2008 crisis.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
Here is my issue with this thread. Its pure political crap, started by a someone who is from Alberta (presumably Canadian). I don't understand why a Canadian must feel they are entitled to interfere with US politics, when they have no say in US politics (I mean in form of a vote) You should be more worried about that prime mister of yours you gave millions of dollars to a terrorist who hates mankind. Excuse me peoplekind.
Wow!

You're right, I don't have a vote in U.S. politics. Thankfully random threads on internet forums couldn't be considered interference with politics by any reasonable person. However, like many Canadians I am personally invested in the U.S. stock market so I believe that grants me a small voice in making fun of a U.S. market drop tied with a president who freely chooses to comment on market movements in a way no president before him has. It's at our expense since we're the ones that are in a drawdown.

And... I don't get too worried about politics, Canadian or otherwise. My government does stupid things and so does yours. My prime minister says stupid things, your president does as well.

Politics are silly on their own, they're even sillier if you take them personally.

I started this thread apparently ignorant of U.S. politics. If you read my first posts, you would see that I meant this to be a light jab thread at a politician who takes credit for all things good but goes strangely silent when it turns around. It was meant to be a fun thing, just like how many of my fellow Canadians have a good laugh over "people-kind" and other politically correct silliness that our government tries to pull.

By Reply #12, I was already beginning to regret having started this thread, I didn't think it would instantly turn into a serious political Red vs Blue thing. @Tabaxus hit the nail on the head.

Again... I'm obviously ignorant of how politically charged American people are right now. Maybe I should read more news...

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »

Nicely done distilling so much Trumpian thinking into just a few sentences.

Misspellings: ✔
Grammatical errors: ✔
Incorrect punctuation: ✔
Taking issue with pure political crap while posting pure political crap: ✔
Decrying "interference" in US politics without irony: ✔
Exaggerating others' concerns about political correctness: ✔
Terrorism: ✔

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »

If this forum is not appropriate for discussion of politics, then it doesn't matter who started it. Otherwise, I don't understand why others can't have an opinion in our politics and participate in an open discussions. I welcome it. It is not like they are trying to interfere in our elections like Putin did.

Mr. Boh

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »

I agree. Only Russians should be allowed to interfere with US politics.

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »

Ditto.

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
Wow!

You're right, I don't have a vote in U.S. politics. Thankfully random threads on internet forums couldn't be considered interference with politics by any reasonable person. However, like many Canadians I am personally invested in the U.S. stock market so I believe that grants me a small voice in making fun of a U.S. market drop tied with a president who freely chooses to comment on market movements in a way no president before him has. It's at our expense since we're the ones that are in a drawdown.

And... I don't get too worried about politics, Canadian or otherwise. My government does stupid things and so does yours. My prime minister says stupid things, your president does as well.

Politics are silly on their own, they're even sillier if you take them personally.

I started this thread apparently ignorant of U.S. politics. If you read my first posts, you would see that I meant this to be a light jab thread at a politician who takes credit for all things good but goes strangely silent when it turns around. It was meant to be a fun thing, just like how many of my fellow Canadians have a good laugh over "people-kind" and other politically correct silliness that our government tries to pull.

By Reply #12, I was already beginning to regret having started this thread, I didn't think it would instantly turn into a serious political Red vs Blue thing. @Tabaxus hit the nail on the head.

Again... I'm obviously ignorant of how politically charged American people are right now. Maybe I should read more news...

I had heard that the rest of the world might not be too thrilled with the US currently, but I suppose I didn't realize the rest of the world was unaware with how politically sensitive things have became here.  I.e. I know of people that have lost friends, etc. over differing views on this election.   I like to think that I get along with almost anyone*, and I have someone that I've given some space after this last election.  -  Not because of who they voted for, but because just how obnoxious they were about politics, pointed out the behavior we had been overlooking previously.

Fortunately there are no rules that you have to vote either red or blue.  (I voted green for multiple reasons.)

*In fact you might say "I get along with other people better than anyone you've ever interviewed."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:04:41 PM by startbyservingothers »

kober.paul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
I had heard that the rest of the world might not be too thrilled with the US currently, but I suppose I didn't realize the rest of the world was unaware with how politically sensitive things have became here.  I.e. I know of people that have lost friends, etc. over differing views on this election.   I like to think that I get along with almost anyone, and I have someone that I've given some space after this last election.  -  Not because of who they voted for, but because just how obnoxious they were about politics, pointed out the behavior we had been overlooking previously.

Trump is our face to the rest of the world. No doubt, they think we are all a bunch of morons.

grettman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »

[/quote]

Trump is our face to the rest of the world. No doubt, they think we are all a bunch of morons.
[/quote]

Really why does what anyone think really matter?  Besides, if they think we are morons, it might have something to do with the fact that we act like the world's police force, give away billions for nothing much in return and make dumb decisions (trade).   The fact that the President says stupid sh!t is far down the list of things that make us moronic.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
Really why does what anyone think really matter?

Yep, embarrassment is far down at the bottom of the list of my concerns. It's a 100% given that he will continue to say and do stuff that will make most of the world shake their heads. I don't really get embarrassed anymore about pretty much anything so I don't give a shit about that. What concerns me is the fact the "very stable genius" is actually quite mentally unstable and easily provoked. That's a bad thing.

Oh yeah, back to the issue at hand: So far I've lost roughly $70k USD during the Great Trump Dump of 2018.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
MAGAnomics at work.  Blast up the deficit for billionaire tax cuts and see the markets tank.

When will he come out and claim credit for the collapse?  Just blame Obama, that works every time.

I like when he was claiming how great everything was in Ohio and they had the market ticker in the same screen -900 points.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:53:12 PM by jim555 »