Author Topic: Tech Issue: Personal Capital unknown sectors  (Read 6960 times)

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tech Issue: Personal Capital unknown sectors
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
Hello all,

I have a technical question about personal capital. I have a majority of my retirement in my 401K.
Personal capital allows me to see the sectors my portfolio represents however, my 401K shows as "unknown". 

I was able to find the proper sector break down at principle's site:

Is there a way I can get personal capital to reflect the sectors based on this info?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Tech Issue: Personal Capital unknown sectors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
I want to follow this because I have the same problem

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
We have two 401K's. Both aren't in the S&P 500 Index Fund. They're tracked under "0ther."

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
My Personal Capital Portfolio shows up the same way.  It can't tell what's in my 401K funds in my Wells Fargo account since I guess there is no ticker symbol for them to use.

I believe you can do some manual allocations on the Portfolio screen in Personal Capital.  There is a button on the top right of that screen that I think will allow you to input a manual allocation for the sectors that it shows as unclassified/unknown.  I just glanced at it a couple nights ago so I'm not sure at this point though.

Marlan

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
This happens with Voya in Personal Capital too, because Voya doesn't invest your money in Vanguard funds, it invests it in Voya's Vanguard Flavor where VINIX costs $17 and has an extra .19% ER.

SaintM

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Websites like Personal Capital and Mint are convenient but are not the be-all, end-all.  I prefer local programs.  Most allow you to download the accounts you set up but manually manipulate everything else.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
It will likely happen from time to time with non-publicly traded funds.

I'm assuming some of the funds in your 401k don't have a ticket (try looking them up on Yahoo Finance or the Morningstar tools). My account has this problem too, since my company has a handful of custom funds that are also not publicly traded.

You can manually assign sectors and weights and many other details, but it's a limitation since it won't update itself. Maybe 1-4x per year you can update the weights by looking through your fund details if you want to see how things roll up in the aggregate?

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
If you haven't yet, give Future Advisor a look. They offer the same free analysis, but actually are able to figure out what's in your 401k. I have accounts at both Future Advisor and Personal Capital and I find Future Advisor much more useful.

Future Advisor also provides more targeted advice (establish X percentage of portfolio in REITs) for example. Future Advisor also provides more targeted advice based on your designated aggressiveness and target retirement age. Having been through portfolio analysis meetings with financial advisors with both, I prefer Future Advisor's advice.

Personal Capital wanted me to add commodities such as gold, energy, food, and other metals to my portfolio which I'm completely against. If it doesn't throw off income and/or have the ability to give me positions over time, then I don't buy it.  Less volatility at the expense of income and appreciation isn't a fair trade; not in my book anyways. Risk isn't the same thing as volatility.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:19:21 PM by capitalninja »

SaintM

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
Personal Capital is really getting on my nerves. Every six months I get calls from their advisors trying to give me investment plan checks. I know that's just a front for pushing fee-based advisor services that I don't need.

The funniest thing was last week I got a notification announcing my net worth was over $1M. No shit Sherlock.  It's been over that for years, and PC knows it has been because (perhaps naively) I put the accounts into the website.

For the most part, I like the account aggregation, but it doesn't understand share classes very well. I could care less about all the colorful pie charts and graphs.

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
You can manually assign sectors and weights and many other details, but it's a limitation since it won't update itself.

I remembering seeing the option to manual assign these, but i can't find it again.  Any idea where you do this?

Here is a screenshot of the portfolio.

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
danb......click on the "ALLOCATION" section on the Portfolio view and you should see the button for MANUAL CLASSIFICATIONS there at the top right side.

Marlan

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »
Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!