Author Topic: TD Ameritrade Self-Directed 401k  (Read 2973 times)

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
TD Ameritrade Self-Directed 401k
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
My 401k has a self-directed brokerage account option through TD Ameritrade. This option gives me access to thousands of funds, including several Vanguard 'commission free' ETFs.

Does anyone have experience using this self-directed brokerage window? Any advice/shortfalls/things you wish-you-would-have-known as a newbie to this system?

I know there are restrictions on the commission-free ETFs, so I wonder if it's worth it to pay the $10 transaction fee and not worry about the restrictions.

Thanks for any advice!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: TD Ameritrade Self-Directed 401k
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
I use it and it's way better than the 401k options.  I also use the free etfs: the restrictions are not onerous (don't sell within a couple months of buying -- we usually aren't short term trading our 401ks)

Definitely know this: you have to "enable" the free etfs.  Do this before you make your trade!  It's in the control center profile thing somewhere

Vti is a good free eft with ER of like 0.05%

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
I use it and it's way better than the 401k options.  I also use the free etfs: the restrictions are not onerous (don't sell within a couple months of buying -- we usually aren't short term trading our 401ks)

Definitely know this: you have to "enable" the free etfs.  Do this before you make your trade!  It's in the control center profile thing somewhere

Ok, thank you for the advice! Their commission-free ETF selection seems totally reasonable. As you mentioned, most of us are interested in buy-and-hold anyways.

Do you ever 'splurge' and use funds outside of the free stuff? The $10 trades don't seem too bad, as long as you minimize them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:54:27 PM by Grateful Stache »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »

Ok, thank you for the advice! Their commission-free ETF selection seems totally reasonable. As you mentioned, most of us are interested in buy-and-hold anyways.

Do you ever 'splurge' and use funds outside of the free stuff? The $10 trades don't seem too bad, as long as you minimize them.

No, I only have treasuries and vti in my 401k.  But that's not investment advice, just my personal asset allocation.  I agree $10 trades are downright reasonable.

Also note this happened to me so be a little careful:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/margin-call-in-my-401k/

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »

Also note this happened to me so be a little careful:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/margin-call-in-my-401k/

Very strange, but good to know.

Thanks!