Author Topic: switching portfolio - lock in losses?  (Read 1286 times)

nugget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
switching portfolio - lock in losses?
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
Dear all,
I'd like to get some ideas on how to proceed with the following situation:
2 years back I was new to the idea of passive index investment and threw my money into 7 ETFs, quite a chaotic portfolio.
Now, 2 Years later, I made up my mind and defined my long term portfolio. With it comes a change in Broker. Ideally I will have moved from my old Broker & Portfolio to the new ones within this month.

However, as typical for a diversified portfolio, some ETFs went up and some down, one is 10% and another is 25% below 2 years ago. My new portfolio does not contain these two, mostly because they are rather expensive in the 0.7% range. Should I lock in theses losses by selling and putting the money into the new ETFs? Or should i just keep them until they are, let's say, the time in years times 5% above the purchase value?

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Joel

• Pencil Stache
Re: switching portfolio - lock in losses?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »
I would sell them and reallocate to your desired portfolio. Think of it another way, if you had cash today, would you buy those funds at their current price?

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
Best practice is to reallocate to the portfolio you are comfortable with immediately.  If this does not include those holdings, liquidate them. The only caveat being, I'm not sure the amounts you are dealing with, for example, would there be a huge tax advantage to taking capital losses in a different calendar year?

nugget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
thanks for your thoughts!