Author Topic: Support thread for those of us who plan to keep throwing money  (Read 12553 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Support thread for those of us who plan to keep throwing money
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
My employer changed HSA providers for the start of the year. By transferring, I happened to miss a part of the drop in late February, but I ignored conventional wisdom and only put the new one 40% in stocks. Now the market is up so much, but I'm sitting on the sidelines with the other 60%. I suppose I should be grateful I have at least some exposure.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »
Just threw another $500 into my IRA (fully invested in VTSAX). I keep holding my breath throughout this period of uncertainty, and I'm telling myself that it will have been very much worth it in about 5-10 years.

My strategy is to put additional funds toward my traditional IRA to max it out first, then add to a taxable account later this year. Does this strategy make sense or am I doing something that is not advantageous?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
Just threw another $500 into my IRA (fully invested in VTSAX). I keep holding my breath throughout this period of uncertainty, and I'm telling myself that it will have been very much worth it in about 5-10 years.

My strategy is to put additional funds toward my traditional IRA to max it out first, then add to a taxable account later this year. Does this strategy make sense or am I doing something that is not advantageous?

Seems right- I max IRA, then max 401k, then work on a brokerage after.

londonstache

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2020, 07:39:15 AM »
UK based so different rules here but the same principle applies. Max out everything first that is tax-advantaged before you hit up the taxable investments.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »

Obligatory plug for the investment order thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/investment-order/

If you have access to 401k (or even Solo 401k, if you are self employed), then that would give you more tax advantaged space than traditional. You might consider putting money in that first before going taxable.

The 401k gives you space up to $19.5k, with Solo (if you are self employed) - I think you can go $50k+ with profit sharing. Those are huge buckets to fill.

Taxable is way down the list of buckets to fill :-) per the investment order.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:35:14 AM by ctuser1 »

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
Just threw $9500 into my taxable brokerage account on Tuesday, divided up into VTSAX, VTIAX, and VGSLX.  Of course it's taking a good walloping right now, but I'm not touching it for a long while and they all produce dividends, so better than savings account returns right now.

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »
I'm throwing some cash into the markets today with the Nasdaq and TSX taking a beating. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
I threw in a good chunk of change today.  International equities FTW.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2020, 02:26:51 PM »
I don't need support to keep buying, my 401k buy is tomorrow. 

G-String

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2020, 08:52:44 PM »
Futures are showing green so you may have missed the dip if you didn't buy Thursday.

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2020, 03:05:42 PM »
I bought 10 Berk b today

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2020, 04:21:42 PM »
Futures are showing green so you may have missed the dip if you didn't buy Thursday.

Looks like the dip was Thursday. And I did BTFD. Or DCA’d. Either way, got some more overseas stuff.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
I have to wait on Q2 dividends, but when they come in I am buying international ETFs to re-balance my AA.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!