Author Topic: Study about selling at all time stock highs  (Read 2964 times)

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
Study about selling at all time stock highs
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »
I've been searching for this article about a study that concluded that selling stocks just because they've hit all time highs will be a bad move more often than not. They had a chart to go along with the study. Can anyone locate this study?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Study about selling at all time stock highs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »
Are you thinking about the "story"/study of the guy who only bought at peaks?

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
No. Something else. They had a chart.

One

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »
I've been searching for this article about a study that concluded that selling stocks just because they've hit all time highs will be a bad move more often than not. They had a chart to go along with the study. Can anyone locate this study?

Just remember that selling at all time highs on average is different than selling at all time highs in the 10th year of one of the longest bull runs in history. 

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
How would you define a bull run though?

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

Just remember that selling at all time highs on average is different than selling at all time highs in the 10th year of one of the longest bull runs in history.
How do you know we're not at an early 90's point in a 20 year bull run?

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
haha yeah this af. We have no idea what will happen. Just put money in and wait it out ppl

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »

As opposed to selling when at an all time low is a bad idea?

Maybe the answer is just to never sell...

One

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »

How do you know we're not at an early 90's point in a 20 year bull run?

Don't know, just saying there's a big difference between first year of recovery and tenth.

harvestbook

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
We're not in a 10-year bull market. Barely two. I grant we're probably near the end of an economic supercycle, but this hasn't been an unbroken bull market since 2009. Stocks spend more than half the time at all-time highs.

http://thereformedbroker.com/2018/08/09/today-we-put-all-bull-market-arguments-to-bed/

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »

How do you know we're not at an early 90's point in a 20 year bull run?d

Don't know, just saying there's a big difference between first year of recovery and tenth.

What’s the difference? PE ratio was in the 100s when the market bottomed out.

One

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
The difference is the fed is raising rates. Don't fight the fed;-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!