Author Topic: StashInvest - Invest with $5  (Read 19554 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
StashInvest - Invest with $5
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »
All aboard the gimmick train! Young people can't possibly invest more than $20/month and investing is so hard and boring!! That's why you need Stash Invest. An app that allows you to invest peanuts in things that are Important to You.

No idea what you're investing in. From the blog I'm guessing it's themed bundles of ETFs, focusing on eco stuff or technology stuff or whatever.

Well, anyway, here's my referral link. If I get early access I'll report back to y'all :)
[edited]

I thought it was worth mentioning if only for the 'stache joke.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:34:32 AM by sheepstache »

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
Re: StashInvest - Invest with $5
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »
I've already signed up just because I'm curious to see their investments and I wanted to get notified when it comes out. I probably won't use it at all, but always fun to see the new roboadvisors.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
The expense ratio is pretty low @ .25% for balances over 5k but it isn't very clear if whatever they invest in FOR you, also has an expense rate? Possibly making this very expensive.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »
Still pretty nebulous - flat rate $1 a month for the service?, min $5 investment and an expense ratio of o.25 after you invested 5K
No fees for trading, but there might be a high expense rate on the ETF itself?
No info yet as to which states in the US they will be allowed to operate in.

Wondering whether it is really any different from Robinhood? Robinhood sounds like fun too, but recently had some negative reports since it no longer works with Mint among other things.

It has possibilities, since apps like Acorn and Robinhood have already become an accepted player in the roboadvisor field.

The only thing that truly concerns me is how will they make it a success in the recent flat and downward trend for investing in general? Hmm on second thought, that can't be it from their viewpoint - they may simply be looking to make money via the $1 or whatever min subscription fee or minimum required investment of $5/$20 a month?

@sheepstache - sure - I'll play guinea pig and I did sign up under your referral link. It's always exciting to be the first:)

Here is my referral link: http://www.stashinvest.com/?kid=6S5VS - the start up is in Manhattan, that fact alone is encouraging:)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:02:53 PM by Rosy »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:08 PM »
Sweet! I've got 3 so far, which gives access in December. If I get 2 more, it's access in September.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:34:05 AM »

Okay y'all, I've got 5. Switch to Rosy's link.

Oh man I feel like there's so much pressure to provide a lot of good information now.

EvaDamon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
I am interested to hear the follow up on Stash. Did you open an account and what do you think?

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
Looks like Acorns user interface and fee structure but you buy assets more like motif  through buying sector etfs and individual stocks.
And in terms of assets, it seems to allow more flexibility than acorns (choose one of a few portfolios) but less than robinhood (choose any security).
It's a net positive because it makes investing more attractive through pretty screens, android widgets and the like. It's a new spin on the new class of investing apps, and will maybe bring in a new cohort of investors but I don't see it pulling any vanguard clients away.

Also, they need to spell check their FAQ :)

EvaDamon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 04:54:51 AM »
Thanks for the follow up.  Sounds like it's a good service for beginners. 

BenF51

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
I just started using this new investment app called Clink which I think offers most of the benefits that Stash offers but is actually free.
I have been using it for about 3 weeks and its pretty solid. You don't have several portfolios to choose from but it gets the job done.
BTW, You can use this promotional link I got from their website it comps $5 when you open an account.

https://clink.com/api/referrals/byCode?cid=101

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!