Author Topic: Sold the house three months ago... Debt free....Whew!!!! Glad we did..Here's why  (Read 744 times)

tankhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Walked away with $140,000. After the sale

I have been fully funding my 403b for 2 years.  So it took a hit:
VANGUARD 500 INDEX ADMIRAL (VFIAX)
VANGUARD DIVIDEND APPRECIATION INDEX ADM (VDADX)
VANGUARD MID-CAP GROWTH INDEX ADMIRAL (VMGMX)
VANGUARD MID-CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL (VMVAX)
VANGUARD REAL ESTATE INDEX ADMIRAL (VGSLX)
VANGUARD SMALL CAP GROWTH INDEX ADMIRAL (VSGAX)
VANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL (VSIAX)
VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MKT IDX ADM (VTSAX)
VANGUARD WELLESLEY® INCOME ADMIRALTM (VWIAX)

I opened a Roth IRA Vanguard 2030 Retirement and fully funded last year and this year currently. I am 51 years old.  We plan to fully fund our IRAs until I retire and I will continue to fully fund my 403b until I retire in July of 2024 with a NJ teacher's pension (if it survives the crash) of about $4000.00 a month.

My wife took out and rolled over her 401 from previous employers and was sent the check for March 12th and we have 60 days to roll in into her tIRA.. $96,000.xx
We dodged the bullet with the crash.  WHEWWWWW. So we will submit that in the very beginning of May to her tIRA.. And get in pretty low.

We have no debt.  No car payments, no mortgage, no credit card debt.  And our rent is $1850.00 plus utilities.

I am thinking a 14,000 DOW.  How much do I throw back in to the market?  I am ready to invest $75,000 of that $140,000 into the market. 

What would you invest in? Should I invest more into the above mentioned funds? Pretty green about investing and more green about investing in single stocks. 

Thanks and stay healthy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:09:21 AM by tankhead »

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I like VTSAX - nice broad exposure to the US market. 

What about some international exposure?  Markets are down all over the world and the dollar is (relatively) strong right now.  Vanguard recommends 30%-50% international stocks (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund).

tankhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I like VTSAX - nice broad exposure to the US market. 

What about some international exposure?  Markets are down all over the world and the dollar is (relatively) strong right now.  Vanguard recommends 30%-50% international stocks (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund).

I agree.  I guess I should also add the Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund to my 403b. Thanks.  Stay safe and healthy.

tankhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The slightly bad news is that I fully funded my 2019 and 2020 a month ago after the dust settled from our house sale and while I am still getting paid, fully funding my 403b at 26000.00 a year. 
My wife did not fund her tIRA for 2019 or 2020.  So we have till Apr 14th to fund hers (2019) and dump her 401k funds into it before May 10th and ride it out as much as possible. 

Interesting times indeed.