Author Topic: So we're basically on track for a bear market by tomorrow?  (Read 25498 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: So we're basically on track for a bear market by tomorrow?
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »
Who cares? We're humans, we're able to survive a bear market, we're able to survive everything.

Note that this thread was started over a year ago. "Tomorrow" never came.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
You know,........You can always say tomorrow ain't here yet.

Bad stuff has happened before.  Bad stuff will happen again.  History repeats itself.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George said it.

As far as that valley that hit the stock market a year age, we all climbed out of that one like an old Willys in 4 wheel drive.  I hope that old Willys keeps running in 2020 as I'm gonna retire.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Absolutely the first cheerful use of the phrase "tomorrow never came" I have heard or read in my decades of life on this planet. Well done.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
Ha!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
Nice to read some of the panic in the posts a year ago and then look back at my ETF purchases around the time and the nice cheap prices I paid.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
Who cares? We're humans, we're able to survive a bear market, we're able to survive everything.

It kind of did, though.  I think we missed a technical bear market by less than one percentage point with the drop right before Christmas.   

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »

It kind of did, though.  I think we missed a technical bear market by less than one percentage point with the drop right before Christmas.

"Almost" means we didn't have one.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2019, 06:27:37 PM »
Top Is In!!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »
I started reading this thread but didn’t notice when it was originally started. I was scratching my head because while I usually don’t pay too much attention to the market, I felt I shouldn’t have been vaguely aware of the sky falling, as the first post seemed to indicate.

A year later it still doesn’t feel like the sky fell. I guess I really did miss something.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
Normally I get (temporarily) irritated when a zombie thread comes back to life, but I am happy this one came back. 

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2020, 07:11:56 AM »
It's great this thread got revived by a spammer.

Reminds us how shitty every expert is regarding the imminent arrival of economic collapse.

Toque.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2020, 07:24:41 AM »
The end of this decline is very near. How do we know for certain? Ken Moraif made his sell signal on December 14th. He has a knack for selling low and buying back in higher. He has done this 3 times since 2010.

Haha.  I don't know Ken Moraif, but looking at the stock market prices this was spot on.  It continued dropping for 1 week after this before heading back to the moon. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »
....I felt I shouldn’t have been vaguely aware of the sky falling, as the first post seemed to indicate.

A year later it still doesn’t feel like the sky fell. I guess I really did miss something.

The sky is always falling. There is a 100% chance that someone will spout FUD about the stock market to you on any given day. Doesn't matter what is actually going on in the world. The vast majority of the time the sky doesn't actually fall. Once in a while it does and some FUDers think they are geniuses! ;-)

One of the key skills required to be a successful investor is learning to tune out the FUDers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:33:34 PM by Retire-Canada »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »
....I felt I shouldn’t have been vaguely aware of the sky falling, as the first post seemed to indicate.

The sky is always falling. There is a 100% chance that some will spout FUD about the stock market to you on any given day. Doesn't matter what is actually going on in the world. The vast majority of the time the sky doesn't actually fall. Once in a while it does and some FUDers think they are geniuses! ;-)

One of the key skills required to be a successful investor is learning to tune out the FUDers.

I like that!  It is optimism.  Good advise for more than just the stock market.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2020, 02:29:14 AM »
I love reading these threads after the fact. You couldn't have sold at a worse time. Market has gone straight up 38% not including dividends since 12/20/2018.
"80% of timers fail over any reasonable period of time." -- Mark Hulbert