Author Topic: Small Bus. Owner Individual 401k  (Read 1778 times)

BlackBart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Small Bus. Owner Individual 401k
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »
Hey everybody long time reader first time caller here.

First I appreciate everyone on this forum and the wealth of knowledge that everyone offers. It is extremely rewarding to find a group of people who are helping each other to achieve the same goal.
I want to share with you guys my current situation and ask for ways to help me reach some goals and also just general investment advice.
I am 29 years old and live in the Washington DC metro Area. I live with my fiancé and we are planning on getting married next year. Currently we rent and have no plans on buying anything around this area, as it is just too expensive. I recently started a new job and my current salary is 60k a year. Medical dental and vision cost me 60 dollars a month from my current employer. I also work a second job teaching wood shop and metal shop, I probably bring in an average of 600 dollars a month from this job, it varies because of class cancellation and what not. working at wood/metal shop also allows me access to the shop for personal projects i.e. making cutting boards and other projects to sell on etsy or whatever. This hasn't really taken off but, let's say I average 100 dollars a month from online sales.

My second job pays me as a 1099 employee so what I did was start an LLC that they pay and this allows me to have a few write offs for taxes time usually for supplies and what not. I also use the business to pay myself rent, because I do use our second bedroom as a storage room for these projects and I use my computer a lot to do some projects. I do not want to pay myself from the business, I have been looking at opening an individual 401k through vanguard? Do you guys think this is the right thing to do. I want to make sure I am not paying a lot in taxes in the end of the year and I also want to put some of this money away.

Personal monies:
I fully fund my Roth IRA (Vanguard)
I have about 8,000 in an old employer 401k ( with Charles Schwab )
I have close to 15,000 cash in my savings and checking accounts
and I have no debt
I will also begin my new 401k with my new employer at the beginning of the year. Should I move my Charles Schwab 401k to my new employer

Thanks everyone

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Bus. Owner Individual 401k
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
Okay, here goes:
1) Are you going to be stashing more than $24,500 this year? If not, just use IRA + employer 401k. If so, look at both SIMPLE IRA and Individual 401k for your side gig.

2) Is the employer 401k awesome with low costs and great choices? If so, you can roll over your old 401k to your new one. Otherwise, just roll it into a new IRA at Vanguard.

BlackBart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
Thank Tom
and bare with me If i move my former employee 401k to a traditional IRA at vanguard I can not add funds to this correct since this is pre-tax?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
Thank Tom
and bare with me If i move my former employee 401k to a traditional IRA at vanguard I can not add funds to this correct since this is pre-tax?

You should be able to do a Traditional IRA contribution to it.