Author Topic: Should I invest more in my 401k, or focus on non-retirement investing?  (Read 1876 times)

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
Also, first post! I just discovered MMM about a month ago, during an afternoon of angst-ridden, job-loathing Internet surfing, and quickly became obsessed with the idea of FI. I'm trying to get my stuff together so I can quit working in 10 to 15 years.

Anyways, to the question at hand. I'm sure that a lot of people will reflexively say of COURSE I should start putting more in my 401k, but here's my situation: I am 29 years old. I'm aiming at retiring in about 15 years or so. Right now, my wife and I have about $50k-$51k set aside in retirement accounts. Between biweekly 401k contributions and weekly Roth contributions of $50, I currently have about $187 per week going into my retirement (i. Using the future value calculator at Calculator Soup, assuming a 7% rate of return, it calculates that I'll have about $400k in 15 years using those same figures without changing that weekly amount at all. If we take that $400k or so and project it out another 15 years (when I'll be able to take the funds out penalty-free), with zero contributions, and continuing a 7% rate of return, it puts me at $1.1 million.

That's enough to retire spending almost $44k per year assuming the 4% rule, which is plenty for me in today's dollars, but probably rather tight 30 years from now. But the thing is, I have (basically) zero non-retirement brokerage currently. I just finished off my student loans, which frees about $500 per month that I can now do something with, and I'm wondering where I should start investing these funds (no debt besides my mortgage). What are the thoughts of elder Mustachians?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Read http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/how-to-withdraw-funds-from-your-ira-and-401k-without-penalty-before-age-59-5/ and https://seattlecyclone.com/accessing-your-retirement-accounts-early-yes-you-can/ first. Then if you still have any questions about why there's no such thing as "too much" in your retirement accounts, I'm happy to help!

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
So, Roth conversion possibilities = throw it all in 401k/Trad IRA until we max them out?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
So, Roth conversion possibilities = throw it all in 401k/Trad IRA until we max them out?

Yep, pretty much! Reduce your tax bracket now and pay tax at a lower rate when you retire.