Author Topic: Selling Stock  (Read 2611 times)

Eric9064

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Selling Stock
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
So I feel really dumb for asking this, but can someone tell me how I would go about selling stock I received as a child? I own some shares of Walmart and would like to sell them, but have no idea how I would go about doing this.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

E

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Selling Stock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
Do you have them in a brokerage account? Or are they literally just the stock certificates?

WMT pays a dividend: how do you receive that dividend?

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
So I believe the answer is that you need a broker account and should contact them.  (Probably whom ever is sending you your dividend, and share information.)

However if the shares were purchased directly from Walmart I believe you can "can contact Computershare globally at 1-800-438-6278 or visit www.computershare.com/walmart." ( taken directly from http://stock.walmart.com/investors/investor-resources/faqs/default.aspx)   And ask them to sell them.

And of course if you have physical certificates, you probably can probably contact Walmart investor relations and get the skinny on what to do from there.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »
I inherited a handful of paper shares of a small company several years ago.  I'd get these paper checks for $1.02 every quarter for the dividend.  If it is paper shares...  Sign up for an online broker (Vanguard, Ameritrade, etc) and go through their process to "deposit" the paper share.

You'll likely have to get a Medallion signature guarantee, which can sometimes be hard to find.  In my little town there are only a handful of places that do it and you MUST have an account there in order to get it done.

Eric9064

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. My mom has been acting as the custodian w/r/t these shares for me so I have to do some research on how they are held.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Note: Wal-Mart is not a bad company. You may not wish to sell these shares immediately.

StudentEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Note: Wal-Mart is not a bad company. You may not wish to sell these shares immediately.

^ They're a solid blue-chip stock so depending on how you are planning to invest it could be helpful to keep them.

Eric9064

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
Its not a ton of money (~2k). Intent is to sell it and drop the proceeds into my kids 529.